2024 NBA Draft Night

How many lobs can he catch in a game?  I guess he also takes up space on around the basket and give Ja more room to operate.   Not sure Eddy’s going to get the same love from NBA refs that he got from the Big Ten.  He was a beast at the line.    

57 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

How do you end up with 3 first round picks in the worst draft in 30 years?

Weaver's there now. He did the same thing in 2020, another draft that was touted as "very bad" going into draft day.

3 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Weaver's there now. He did the same thing in 2020, another draft that was touted as "very bad" going into draft day.

Was it considered bad?  I don't remember that.  That draft had quite a few players I really wanted.  Where this draft had almost nobody, even the top 4.

2020 turned out to be pretty good 4 years in.  Just a shame Weaver missed on 2 of the 3 picks.  

36 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

How many lobs can he catch in a game?  I guess he also takes up space on around the basket and give Ja more room to operate.   Not sure Eddy’s going to get the same love from NBA refs that he got from the Big Ten.  He was a beast at the line.    

I doubt he is ever a plus defender.  But he does move fairly well for his size.  He tested much better than Clingan in the agility drills at the combine.  

Just curious and please excuse my ignorance......

With everyone saying the Pistons have great players minus they can't shoot... How often do bad shooters become good to great shooters if they aren't already by the time they get drafted?  Seems to me the muscle memory from 10+ years would make it near impossible to improve drastically no?

7 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

With everyone saying the Pistons have great players minus they can't shoot... How often do bad shooters become good to great shooters if they aren't already by the time they get drafted?  Seems to me the muscle memory from 10+ years would make it near impossible to improve drastically no?

I think it's complicated because while some guys have bad mechanics - and you'd think you could teach that - a lot of guys who can't make a shot in a game can make them all day in the gym, so it's not always a matter of just being able to make the shot,  it's also being able to marshal that instant of calm you need under game pressure to switch from gross to fine motor control, or even have them both in play at once.

I just don't always think someone is just a bad shooter.  Some of it is what they are asked to do or didn't have good technique trained in them.  Some just don't have the best hand eye coordination or their body type doesn't help with being a great perimeter shooter.  For instance, someone like Shaq could of tried very early on but his body type or big hands make it very difficult.  Its the job of the GM to determine if they think they can make certain players better shooters. 

I also think in a draft when you don't have that many players that are both athletic and good shooters.  The thought is being athletic is more natural ability and shooting can be worked on more.  Its definitely not always the case and the last 10 years being a Pistons fan has showed that.

22 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

You will find a bunch of guys that improve 3-5 points on their 3PT%.  The problem with Thompson and Holland is how bad they are starting out.  5 points for both of them doesn't even move the needle.  

11 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I wouldn't be mad if they used that pick on Bronny to screw LeBron.

I was thinking about another team drafting him in order to squeeze the Lakers a bit or entice LeBron to town.  If neither happen, then the team is stuck with someone not at all ready for the NBA, maybe not even ready for the G,  So is the possible reward worth the risk?

21 minutes ago, casimir said:

I was thinking about another team drafting him in order to squeeze the Lakers a bit or entice LeBron to town.  If neither happen, then the team is stuck with someone not at all ready for the NBA, maybe not even ready for the G,  So is the possible reward worth the risk?

I don't value second round pics. So taking him and letting him sit out the entire year is fine.  

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Was it considered bad?  I don't remember that.  That draft had quite a few players I really wanted.  Where this draft had almost nobody, even the top 4.

2020 turned out to be pretty good 4 years in.  Just a shame Weaver missed on 2 of the 3 picks.  

Yeah, everyone was saying it was a "down year". Although scouting was pretty bad with Covid. Like most down years though, when you look back you find a lot of hits. Hopefully that happens this year as well and Holland is one of those sleepers.

4 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

There are definitely more cases of guys becoming good shooters than there are of guys suddenly becoming great athletes.

We also just hired the guy who's considered to be one of the best (if not the best) shot doctor in the league. He's  been credited with greatly improving a number of players in New Orleans (Lonzo Ball, Herb Jones, Jose Alvardao, Naji Marshall, Brandon Ingram, etc). Herb Jones went from 28% to 37%. Lonzo jumped up 5% and then another 5% the following year after he left for Chicago. Alvarado has gone from 29% to 37%. Marshall jumped up to nearly 39% this year from about a 30% average before that.

There are many others and I'm sure most of us could probably name 3-5 off the top of our heads easy. Jaylen Brown shot 29% in college and is around 35% now. Anthony Edwards was 29% as well in college. Even old guys like Demar Derozan and Brook Lopez have learned to shoot.

Sure, for every one of those guys there are 10 Hamidou Diallo's who never get it, but the possibility is there. And when/if those guys hit, they really hit because they already have the other stuff to make them elite.

On the other hand, there are zero Luke Kennards who suddenly become Donovan Mitchell level athletes. Some things like size, length, athleticism you just can't teach.

I don't get the trade for Minnesota (like a worse version of the Plumlee trade) but...we'll take it. At least with 37, it's a little something to watch for.

Edited by NYLion

50 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I don't get the trade for Minnesota (like a worse version of the Plumlee trade) but...we'll take it. At least with 37, it's a little something to watch for.

Pretty sure they are trying to get back under the second apron. They still have some work to do.

• Like 1