2024 NBA Draft Night

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

if youre worried about holland's shot - and we all should be worried about it - why do you all love ausar so much?  he's unplayable on offense right now.

I’m most disappointed that they didn’t use this opportunity to gain more assets. I don’t hate Holland. He’s a pure upside swing for the fences. I’d take him over Matas. I just think he would have been there later and I’d rather have had Carter and assets. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

I’m most disappointed that they didn’t use this opportunity to gain more assets. I don’t hate Holland. He’s a pure upside swing for the fences. I’d take him over Matas. I just think he would have been there later and I’d rather have had Carter and assets. 

i agree.  pure upside play.

as of now, they've drafted YET ANOTHER wing player who cannot shoot.  maybe cade won't sign that extension after all?

Edited by buddha

Hollinger’s analysis: Yes! I love it! Holland was the No. 1 guy on my board, and I was absolutely perplexed that he was falling so far in mock draft world when his output at G League Ignite was superior to that of several other recent lottery picks. Holland may struggle out of the gate as he works on his shooting and half-court reads, but the Pistons shouldn’t be in win-now mode and badly need a second wing creator to help Cade Cunningham. This is a great pick to start off the Trajan Langdon era in Detroit.

7 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Again, it takes two to trade.

2 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Again, it takes two to trade.

Woj just said that Memphis was working the phones non-stop to try to get Clingan until he was drafted by Portland at 7 and they pivoted to Edey. Maybe they didn’t offer enough, but clearly the interest was there. 

Just now, Betrayer said:

He’s a Forward, but your point still stands. 

Didn't Langdon say in his press conference that he wanted more shooters and floor spacing on this team? Holland seems athletic and can keep up with NBA guys and has the athleticism to fit into the modern game. But if he can't shoot, how can he help us space the floor if every time he gets the ball in his hands he can't score with his shot? Is he going to have to drive to the basket with the ball to score?

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Didn't Langdon say in his press conference that he wanted more shooters and floor spacing on this team? Holland seems athletic and can keep up with NBA guys and has the athleticism to fit into the modern game. But if he can't shoot, how can he help us space the floor if every time he gets the ball in his hands he can't score with his shot? Is he going to have to drive to the basket with the ball to score?

well, the Pistons have a long line of guys they've tried to teach to shoot and failed going back decades, sooner or later odds are that someone they take that can't shot is bound to come around.....

Expectations for this draft were low, and they've been met.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

He’s probably thinking that a draft pick doesn’t have to be a year one starter. Swing for the fences and let the kid develop over a couple years. You can’t teach athleticism, but you can teach shooting (sometimes). In the meantime, actually make trades and get free agent vets to help your team for the short term while the kids develop - something that Weaver never did. If Holland is starting, something went wrong (again). 

I still think there might have been a better move here with a trade down, but I do understand the logic behind taking a swing in the draft for a team that really needs to find potential All-Stars. 

Edited by Betrayer

I don't get the Holland pick but this draft blows chunks, even the top 2 picks have major question marks, so I don't feel like the Pistons missed out on anybody. I was expecting Buzelis and got Holland, meh whatever. The real work begins starting with free agency anyway.