6/27/24 9:38 PM Tigers @ Angels

IdahoBert

They might as well play Ibanez full time. His split this season against RHP is terrible but for his career he is 652 which beats Kreidler or McKinstry. 

Likewise Canha. His career split against RHP is still a better option better than Baddoo. You don't HAVE to play bad platoon players when they are worse than the non-platoon options - it's just dumb. You don't need to play bad players to "keep guys sharp" who are no real part of your plans short or long term. It's OK to have a guy on the bench that is only going to play if lightning strikes. Or rotate guys you need on bench for emergency backfill through Toledo so they get periodic playing time. Again, no law says those guys have to get regular MLB PAs.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

They might as well play Ibanez full time. His split this season against RHP is terrible but for his career he is 652 which beats Kreidler or McKinstry....

I can't think of a reason NOT to play Ibanez full time. In fact, I think it's downright stupid to not have in the batting lineup every day, given our other options.

They played all nine innings tonight. Embarrassingly badly. 

I have never understood Hinch's treatment of Ibanez this year. Dude played his ass off last year and gets demoted to bench player/pinch hitter. He was slightly below average against righties last year.

58 minutes ago, kdog said:

Not much...they don't have answers in the majors or the minors. The product is stuck in the mud.

Funny thing, they have three guys at Toledo carrying 900 OPS, Vilade, Navigato, Meadows, and Dingler is at 855. I guess in a what is turning into a wipe out of a season I don't see why McKinstry, Kreilder and Baddoo, and for that matter even Rogers, are blocking those guys from getting some run. I get it that a 900 OPS in AAA is pretty meaningless this year - (apparently the pitching in the international league sucks)- Baddoo and Malloy were both close before their call ups, but nothing ventured nothing gained. Give some guys a shot, the worst that happens is you send them back.So what?

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

They might as well play Ibanez full time. His split this season against RHP is terrible but for his career he is 652 which beats Kreidler or McKinstry. 

Likewise Canha. His career split against RHP is still a better option better than Baddoo. You don't HAVE to play bad platoon players when they are worse than the non-platoon options - it's just dumb. You don't need to play bad players to "keep guys sharp" who are no real part of your plans short or long term. It's OK to have a guy on the bench that is only going to play if lightning strikes. Or rotate guys you need on bench for emergency backfill through Toledo so they get periodic playing time. Again, no law says those guys have to get regular MLB PAs.

Amen and hallelujah. It just makes too much sense. It’s so obvious to see but it still doesn’t happen. Frustrating especially sitting in the stands watching it even Captain Jack couldn’t help today.

18 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I want to apologize in advance to the board. I will be in attendance tonight so they will lose. I go every year they are in town and it’s been six years since I have seen a victory. Fingers crossed 🤞 

Nice to see the hitters read this thread before the game.

• Like 1

Daniel had a 5.33 ERA in 14 starts with Triple-A Salt Lake before Thursday's game against the Tigers.

"The thing he did is just attack the strike zone," Hinch said. "He beat us inside the strike zone with a lot of strikes, a lot of count leverage and a lot of swings that weren't on time. He continued to be relentless with strikes because it was working for him. He was getting outs."
"He beat us in the strike zone," Hinch said. "Plain and simple."

I did not see the video but he seems like he’s about to lose his marbles lol.

From Chris Brown on twitter:

Games scoring 1 or 0 runs in 2024:

White Sox - 25
Marlins - 23
Tigers - 23
Rockies - 19
5 Tied at 17
Orioles - 8
Guardians - 7
Phillies - 5

49 minutes ago, kdog said:

Daniel had a 5.33 ERA in 14 starts with Triple-A Salt Lake before Thursday's game against the Tigers.

"The thing he did is just attack the strike zone," Hinch said. "He beat us inside the strike zone with a lot of strikes, a lot of count leverage and a lot of swings that weren't on time. He continued to be relentless with strikes because it was working for him. He was getting outs."
"He beat us in the strike zone," Hinch said. "Plain and simple."

He is the fearless leader of his players.  They take right after him.

1 hour ago, kdog said:

From Chris Brown on twitter:

Games scoring 1 or 0 runs in 2024:

White Sox - 25
Marlins - 23
Tigers - 23
Rockies - 19
5 Tied at 17
Orioles - 8
Guardians - 7
Phillies - 5

Ten of those have come in the last 20 games alone. Just pathetic!

1 hour ago, kdog said:

AJ seems to spend lots of time and energy genuinely focused on rearranging these deck chairs (like all his platooning) but he knows this sh** sandwich does not taste very good at all.