6/28/24 9:38PM Tigers @ Angels

Parker with another good game tonight - 2/3 BB. Got the last hit turning around a 101 mph pitch with a 108 EV.

Torkelson --- 1/4, 3K and back to taking middle middle pitches for called strike ones the last two games. I just realized he's starting to give me a Brennan Boesch vibe.  :classic_sad:

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Torkelson --- 1/4, 3K and back to taking middle middle pitches for called strike ones the last two games. I just realized he's starting to give me a Brennan Boesch vibe.  :classic_sad:

For some time now Tork has given me the Chris Shelton vibes. 

• Haha 1

Vest with a nice finish of that inning for Maeda.

Maeda only ends up giving up 2. But the way the 1st two hitters in the 6th teed off on him he probably would have given up more runs by the time Hinch got around to taking him out.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

FFS

I hate that ****ty communication sooooo much.

Perez should have called Ibanez off but being an inexperienced OF I'm going to guess he was never sure whether he could get it.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, kdog said:

The offense had one baserunner after they tied it with the two walks….so it doesn’t matter. They weren’t going to score again.

True, it doesn't matter how you pitch when you are shut out, and the Tigers hitters *were* shut out tonight. The Angels gave them the runs on the board with the Det name on them.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Parker with another good game tonight - 2/3 BB. Got the last hit turning around a 101 mph pitch with a 108 EV.

I was trying to recall the name of that flash in the pan a few days ago, but didn’t care enough to look it up. I just remember he was really on fire then there was the All-Star break and then zilch… forever. 

49 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

How does the 2025 draft class look?

Average, not as good as 2023 but not as bad as 2024. Luckily for us we are picking outside of the top 10 this year so we are eligible for a top 10 pick in the lottery since it would have been too many consecutive years picking in the top 10 had we done so in 2024. 

1 hour ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Average, not as good as 2023 but not as bad as 2024. Luckily for us we are picking outside of the top 10 this year so we are eligible for a top 10 pick in the lottery since it would have been too many consecutive years picking in the top 10 had we done so in 2024. 

I don't think draft position in baseball is quite as important as in the other sports.  

1 hour ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

That itself tells you quite a bit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1776 said:

For some time now Tork has given me the Chris Shelton vibes. 

Which is sad, because (A) Shelton was a 33rd rounder, not a 1-1, and (B) Tork hasn't even got to Shelton's (OPS or OPS+) level with the Tigers yet. Tork has more HR's, but is worse than Shelton in every other possible way.

1 hour ago, tiger2022 said:

I don't think draft position in baseball is quite as important as in the other sports.  

I would disagree, in this particular draft the top 8-9 players are on another tier than the remaining players according to scouts. The biggest thing though with the MLB draft is the ability to leverage your bonus pool to float players from where they would normally get picked to a later pick by offering over slot if you go under on your 1st or 2nd round. You don't get that in other drafts in other leagues. That being said the MLB draft is a far more of a crapshoot for hitting on your selections. 

7 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I would disagree, in this particular draft the top 8-9 players are on another tier than the remaining players according to scouts. The biggest thing though with the MLB draft is the ability to leverage your bonus pool to float players from where they would normally get picked to a later pick by offering over slot if you go under on your 1st or 2nd round. You don't get that in other drafts in other leagues. That being said the MLB draft is a far more of a crapshoot for hitting on your selections. 

I see your point on position, but once you get past a Paul Skenes or Bryce Harper, there isn't a whole lot of separation between the other players.  It seems like a lot depends on the organization's ability to develop a player.  How many great players have the Tigers developed in the last 20 years so?  Skubal?  Greene?  Even a guy like Castellanos didn't blossom until he left Detroit.  And there was no way they could mess up a generational talent like Verlander.  And the Tigers got lucky to get him at #2 only because the Padres were an even worse run organization than the Tigers.

So I guess most of those guys have similar tools, it's just dependent on where they end up in some cases.

Edited by tiger2022