6/30/24 10:07PM Tigers @Angels

Wow, this collapse is becoming an epic one. 

So, will they take another high school kid with the #3 draft pick in 2025?    

Boy, that Hinch sure is a great strategist.   And he seems to be getting these guys to improve too.    Good thing we latched on to him for, what, 3 more years?   

And Scotty..........couldn't find a SS better than Kreidler or McKinstry, eh?    None exist anywhere, huh?    

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Boy, that Hinch sure is a great strategist.   And he seems to be getting these guys to improve too.    Good thing we latched on to him for, what, 3 more years   

Hinch is so superior to any other manager that he is already initiating strategies for 2026.

I will bet anyone that he could destroy any competition in Old Maid or Candy Land; he could probably be world champ at either of those.  He's just that good at everything.

This game showed you that you may think you know what is obsolete in the game and what isn’t, the game has a way of showing you you are wrong. As long a the extra runner rule stays and home teams are going to get to the bottom of an extra inning needing to move one runner around, bunting is not a wasted skill. And of course with BAs down across the game, existing run probability tables are also inaccurate.  

The game results don’t sting as much for me. This team still needs a ton of work to be competitive in the long term. We should learn a lesson if they have a fake September win streak. 

1 hour ago, kdog said:

The game results don’t sting as much for me. This team still needs a ton of work to be competitive in the long term. We should learn a lesson if they have a fake September win streak. 

If the rest of this summer is just watching the younger hitters indistinguish themselves and them throwing up 0, 1, 2, 10 run streaks because that 4th starters just happened to catch them on a day when they decided to watch video before the game...well, please lets get to football season.

8 minutes ago, romad1 said:

If the rest of this summer is just watching the younger hitters indistinguish themselves and them throwing up 0, 1, 2, 10 run streaks because that 4th starters just happened to catch them on a day when they decided to watch video before the game...well, please lets get to football season.

The tigers pivoted into a hitting developmental org specifically at the time when hitting is way down in mlb overall and no young hitters are doing anything. But if this exposes flaws in their minor league development and pro coaching staff, that’s good. 
It’s not just about throwing young hitters to the wolves. If you aren’t giving these guys solutions to their problems, it’s a pointless exercise.

3 hours ago, kdog said:

The tigers pivoted into a hitting developmental org specifically at the time when hitting is way down in mlb overall and no young hitters are doing anything. But if this exposes flaws in their minor league development and pro coaching staff, that’s good. 
It’s not just about throwing young hitters to the wolves. If you aren’t giving these guys solutions to their problems, it’s a pointless exercise.

I don't question whether this FO is as good as it gets with its analytics capabilities, but that is not the same thing as having the vision pick up when the game may be moving fast enough to invalidate their assumptions.

It was also  interesting at one point last night that Benetti and Petry talked about teams trying to play against their tendencies as being the next gambit to counter teams doing deep tendency analysis. Had to happen of course.

Since Monroe may be gone, I'll quote the one bit of wisdom he once offered that I think was spot on about prepping batters. He said he didn't like it as a player because if you couldn't tell him with 100% certainly what a pitcher would do, it was useless because without certainty you still have to be ready for anything at each at bat and that's easiest to do with an unbiased mind.  Now that said, Craig was no HOF hitter either. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Since Monroe may be gone, I'll quote the one bit of wisdom he once offered that I think was spot on about prepping batters. He said he didn't like it as a player because if you couldn't tell him with 100% certainly what a pitcher would do, it was useless because without certainty you still have to be ready for anything at each at bat and that's easiest to do with an unbiased mind.  Now that said, Craig was no HOF hitter either. :classic_biggrin:

He's no HOF intellect, either, since he doesn't appear to realize that there is a fertile middle ground between knowing 100% what a pitcher is going to throw, which is impossible, and completely guessing or even thinking about what the pitcher is going to throw, which is impractical.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chasfh said:

…knowing 100% what a pitcher is going to throw, which is impossible,…

Not so.

Signed,

2017 Houston Astros

Edited by 1776
  • Haha 2