7/2/24 7:40PM Tigers @ Twins

Two years ago our ‘Big Three’ were going to be Mize, Manning, and Skubal. Manning is indeed a distant memory. Mize hasn’t lived up to the hype that preceded him for one reason or another. Skubal is a stud. I guess that’s considered a successful yield with today’s starters. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Two years ago our ‘Big Three’ were going to be Mize, Manning, and Skubal. Manning is indeed a distant memory. Mize hasn’t lived up to the hype that preceded him for one reason or another. Skubal is a stud. I guess that’s considered a successful yield with today’s starters. 

They would have replaced our top trio of Norris, Boyd, and Fullmer.

• Like 1

The Mize injury underscores another issue with this season. How much will we know about the 'core' by the end of the season. Guys are either hurt or have been exiled to Toledo.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kdog said:

Mize headed to the DL with a hamstring strain. That’s the reason that Montero was scratched in Toledo.

Matt manning is a distant memory.

Mannings last start was actually pretty good. Can he string together a few?

Edited by gehringer_2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kdog said:

Mize headed to the DL with a hamstring strain. That’s the reason that Montero was scratched in Toledo.

Matt manning is a distant memory.

Somebody out there needs to invent better training regimes for athletes. Nothing Casey did going for that ball should have resulted in injury. 

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

One guy an ace, another a 4/5 type starter. That is pretty good yield, as you suggest. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kdog said:

The Mize injury underscores another issue with this season. How much will we know about the 'core' by the end of the season. Guys are either hurt or have been exiled to Toledo.

Our position player equivalent was the Tork/Greene/Carpenter triumvirate.  Seeing some parallels to the pitchers so far.

Edited by Tenacious D

3 hours ago, 1776 said:

I believe we touched on this one the other day: even setting aside the two years lost to injuries, Casey Mize is a pitcher from another era, a guy who relies on hitters to chase splitters falling out of the zone, and they don't, so he gives in and then he gets crushed. Not all the time, but more than a former 1-1 pick should. He simply can't blow away guys with 99 or better up in the zone, and those are the pitchers teams want, and he may never become that because, especially with his injury history, he doesn't have the building blocks to make that transformation. That's why he will probably always be middle of the rotation for a bad team, and back of the rotation or spot starter for a good team. Heck, a good team may not even want anything to do with him.

1 hour ago, kdog said:

well given the choices we have, I'm not sure it's definitive either way.

Keying in a bit on your item #3, the return for Jack Flaherty is now going to be a lot less than we were hoping a couple weeks ago it would be, so we might be in qualifying offer territory now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tiger2022 said:

I think they signed Flaherty just to try to trade him at the deadline.  I think that is a terrible model to follow.  It's a loser's plan.  They aren't going to get anything of worth for him.

It worked with Lorenzen.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

It worked with Lorenzen.

That's debatable.  Having a guy who is doing okay in AA doesn't mean it was a success.  We'll see.

And they are going to be trying to flip guys for the next 10 years?

Edited by tiger2022

10 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Next year they can trade Skubal for prospects, then the following year, Riley Greene.  

Well you have said that there is no way Skubal is going to resign with us cause of how bad we suck so in that case why wouldn't you trade him for prospects?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think there is a solution you are probably missing.  

If you like the direction the team is going in, then more power to you.

And I'd rather watch him pitch his final 2 years here instead of getting some crappy light hitting middle infield prospects that the Tigers always seem to trade for.

Edited by tiger2022