7/2/24 7:40PM Tigers @ Twins

Is everyone else seeing these Smalls cat food commercials? I see them three or four times every game. I have no idea why a cat food company would spend so much on MLB baseball, so I gotta wonder whether it’s a local pod where you see ads for merchants in your town, while on Extra Innings we get a national insert from DirecTV?

2 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

I think they signed Flaherty just to try to trade him at the deadline.  I think that is a terrible model to follow.  It's a loser's plan.  They aren't going to get anything of worth for him.

I don’t think that. I think we thought we had at least a puncher’s chance at the playoffs, and if we were reasonably close we’d need him for the push. But selling him at the deadline was a decent fallback plan, if not for the injuries that are sapping his value.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I'm a fan, but not being able to play a position really limits his potential.  

I kind of think the plan for Malloy, if everything goes right, is a share DH/bat off the bench/fifth outfielder. I also think the plan is for him to hit well.

58 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I kind of think the plan for Malloy, if everything goes right, is a share DH/bat off the bench/fifth outfielder. I also think the plan is for him to hit well.

Can he be sent to AFL?

Give him a 1B glove... just to see what happens.

If it's a disaster... give him back his DH gloves...

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I don’t think that. I think we thought we had at least a puncher’s chance at the playoffs, and if we were reasonably close we’d need him for the push. But selling him at the deadline was a decent fallback plan, if not for the injuries that are sapping his value.

If his value drops too low...

I would still rather try to sign him to a 2 or 3-year extension if he is amenable.

A good vet to have sitting in a top 3 of the rotation.

IMO.

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

we are where bats come to die

And this team does nothing to show us that they care even a little bit by maybe firing the hitting coach or moving some guys up or down or something other than nothing.

I think the best path with Flaherty is to try and trade him for player(s) that can help soon.  If not, offer him a qualifying offer and attempt to sign him to a fair extension or take the compensatory pick.  We have more options/leverage than we did with the guy in AZ who has yet to throw a pitch this season.

Posted (edited)

I look up and down other team's  lineups when scouring box scores and I swear with the exception of maybe a couple teams every one has atleast 2-3 guys on them where Im like "why can't the Tigers find somebody like this?"

Im not including the superstars like Judge, Betts etc.just random guys who were modest international signings, acquired through under the radar trades or drafted after the 1st couple rounds . Like Tyler ONeill and Jarren Durran of the Red Sox for example.

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I look up and down other team's  lineups when scouring box scores and I swear with the exception of maybe a couple teams every one has atleast 2-3 guys on them where Im like "why can't the Tigers find somebody like this?"

Im not including the superstars like Judge, Betts etc.just random guys who were modest international signings, acquired through under the radar trades or drafted after the 1st couple rounds . Like Tyler ONeill and Jarren Durran of the Red Sox for example.

Harris didn't want to block young players with washed up veterans or bad contracts. Good thing we don't have any of those guys hitting 3 and 4 in our lineup.

10 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

And this team does nothing to show us that they care even a little bit by maybe firing the hitting coach or moving some guys up or down or something other than nothing.

I may be wish casting, but in recent post games I think I might be hearing some evidence of re-evaluation. Less talk about looking for good pitches to hit and more about getting aggressive in the zone. Is it real? Would it make any difference with this crew?

11 hours ago, kdog said:

Canha and Urshela are basically corpses at this point...unfortunate.

I suspect they could have gotten something for Canha.  Perhaps they still can if the bat comes back.  A seasoned RHH OF/1B should have something of value for a playoff team, even if only as a bench bat.  Heck, they were able to move Lorenzen last season, and his innings pitched issue was glaring.

13 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

What if Simeon Woods Richardson's kid marries Sawyer Gipson-Long's kid?

I think you would split the difference either:

John and Jane Woods Gipson-Long Richardson or

Jane and John Gipson-Woods Richardson-Long.

Depends on whether you prefer your call sign to be WGLR or GWRL.

Probably need a poll to explore further.

52 minutes ago, casimir said:

I suspect they could have gotten something for Canha.  Perhaps they still can if the bat comes back.  A seasoned RHH OF/1B should have something of value for a playoff team, even if only as a bench bat.  Heck, they were able to move Lorenzen last season, and his innings pitched issue was glaring.

Canha is probably playing through a debilitating hip injury. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdog said:

Harris didn't want to block young players with washed up veterans or bad contracts. Good thing we don't have any of those guys hitting 3 and 4 in our lineup.

Which made sense, because after the deluge, Harris had to see what we had that we could salvage, so we could jettison the rest and build from there. Then we fill in the holes where we need it. Looks good on paper, right?

The big problem for us is that a lot of that plan simply fell through. The plan was for Tork to take a decent step forward and be a better than average hitter, and for Keith to hit better than a 68 OPS+ and hopefully playable a passable 2B, and for Javier Baez to put up at least the replacement level season he was projected for, and Parker Meadows to have a decent rookie season, and Kerry Carpenter to stay healthy and rake, and for Matt Manning to finally take his permanent place in the rotation, and for Casey Mize to step up to the top half of the rotation, and for Tarik Skubal to be an ace, and for Jack Flaherty to be good, and for the bullpen to be the same level of good as last year. And we got only two of those, and parts of two others, all on the pitching side. That's why we're floundering toward the bottom of the league instead of contending for the third wild card spot.

Fans will blame Scott Harris for not planning for the contingency of basically everything going wrong all at once and having something tucked in his pocket he could pull out at the point anything goes upside down and we don't lose a step. I think it would be harsh to hang it all on him for not doing that. Nobody makes plans for when basically everything goes wrong. Nobody does that. There are not enough controllable major-league-quality resources available for teams to keep in stock when basically everybody goes upside down. When it does happen, you absorb it, hopefully learn key things from it, and make adjustments for the next year.

I would completely agree, though, that we are either at or near the point at which Scott Harris is going to have to call an audible on his plan. I'm not sure what that would look like, exactly. Maybe it's a big shakeup of optioning or DFA'ing a bunch of guys and calling some wild cards up from Toledo, or signing whatever free agents are still available (come on down, Tim Anderson! 😜). Maybe it's firing some or all of the hitting coaches. I don't know what kinds of impactful choices are available to us at this point, but sometimes the mere appearance of trying to do something and failing is a better look than just staying put and hoping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Which made sense, because after the deluge, Harris had to see what we had that we could salvage, so we could jettison the rest and build from there. Then we fill in the holes where we need it. Looks good on paper, right?

The big problem for us is that a lot of that plan simply fell through. The plan was for Tork to take a decent step forward and be a better than average hitter, and for Keith to hit better than a 68 OPS+ and hopefully playable a passable 2B, and for Javier Baez to put up at least the replacement level season he was projected for, and Parker Meadows to have a decent rookie season, and Kerry Carpenter to stay healthy and rake, and for Matt Manning to finally take his permanent place in the rotation, and for Casey Mize to step up to the top half of the rotation, and for Tarik Skubal to be an ace, and for Jack Flaherty to be good, and for the bullpen to be the same level of good as last year. And we got only two of those, and parts of two others, all on the pitching side. That's why we're floundering toward the bottom of the league instead of contending for the third wild card spot.

Fans will blame Scott Harris for not planning for the contingency of basically everything going wrong all at once and having something tucked in his pocket he could pull out at the point anything goes upside down and we don't lose a step. I think it would be harsh to hang it all on him for not doing that. Nobody makes plans for when basically everything goes wrong. Nobody does that. There are not enough controllable major-league-quality resources available for teams to keep in stock when basically everybody goes upside down. When it does happen, you absorb it, hopefully learn key things from it, and make adjustments for the next year.

I would completely agree, though, that we are either at or near the point at which Scott Harris is going to have to call an audible on his plan. I'm not sure what that would look like, exactly. Maybe it's a big shakeup of optioning or DFA'ing a bunch of guys and calling some wild cards up from Toledo, or signing whatever free agents are still available (come on down, Tim Anderson! 😜). Maybe it's firing some or all of the hitting coaches. I don't know what kinds of impactful choices are available to us at this point, but sometimes the mere appearance of trying to do something and failing is a better look than just staying put and hoping.

That's what I'm waiting for...Plan A hasn't worked out; What is the pivot? Re-rebuild or see if you can make moves that will get this team reasonably competitive for next year in the Skubal window.

4 minutes ago, kdog said:

That's what I'm waiting for...Plan A hasn't worked out; What is the pivot? Re-rebuild or see if you can make moves that will get this team reasonably competitive for next year in the Skubal window.

Maybe Harris is waiting for the deadline to pass so he can see what we get before he makes his moves? If he makes moves now without knowing that, he might be hamstringing himself in some way.