7/2/24 7:40PM Tigers @ Twins

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe Harris is waiting for the deadline to pass so he can see what we get before he makes his moves? If he makes moves now without knowing that, he might be hamstringing himself in some way. 

Flaherty's second back injection certainly hurts the cause. The rest of the guys they have are spare parts and throw ins.

2 minutes ago, kdog said:

Flaherty's second back injection certainly hurts the cause. The rest of the guys they have are spare parts and throw ins.

Definitely a red flag.  I think he’d need two solid starts before the trade deadline to give teams the confidence to acquire him, and that might not be enough.  

2 hours ago, kdog said:

Canha is probably playing through a debilitating hip injury. 

Honestly, they should just bring up Bigbie. He is a 1B masquerading as an OF and you wouldn't have to bring up Tork. He's hitting .284/.389/413 since 5/1 in AAA and is already 25 years old and Rule 5 eligible this year.

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Definitely a red flag.  I think he’d need two solid starts before the trade deadline to give teams the confidence to acquire him, and that might not be enough.  

Well, this is all considering Flaherty in a vacuum.  Who else will be available and at what prices?

I wouldn't be opposed to extending him and rerolling the dice on acquiring offense this offseason.  Skubal, Flaherty, and Olson at the top of the rotation.  Can they add another legit SP (along the lines of what they've done with Lorenzen and Flaherty) and see what Mize can do next season?

6 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Flaherty will probably want to sign at a place he can have a chance of winning.  That's not in detroit.  

That's why I'm thinking qualifying offer to get the extra draft pick.

That depends on whether and how he comes back, though. If his issue lingers past July, and he has to stick around, he won't have much time to come back and prove to a suitor that he's worth half a decade and nine figures.

According to my understanding, for the pick to actually be decent, they would need to offer him 50million+.  I get the sense that Ilitch doesn't want to spend that much.  

When you are a cheap organization, FAs aren't going to come to the team and the Tigers end up losing a lot, and since the team loses a lot it's almost impossible to get a top FA to sign in Detroit unless you super overpay them.   It's like a vicious circle.