7/3/24 8:10PM Tigers @ Twins

Montero and the boys did good. The twins just couldn’t figure out his stuff. I resist the idea that there’s a subterranean aquifer filled with excellent hitting ability lurking just beneath the surface that could become a regular geyser! I’m grateful for games like this, but I would be more grateful for solid performances between these outbursts and a humdrum that is really humdrum. Still a big thumbs up for them tonight. Especially Montero, given that nobody believed in him and for the most part for good reason. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, kdog said:

Matt Manning is pitching for Toledo tonight. He would have been lined up again for this start if the Tigers thought he was making any progress.

I look at Manning and Torkelson still in Toledo and can't help but wonder what kind of chance do they have as 2025 Tigers.

This was the first Montero start I have been able to actually sit down and watch it and I can definitely see where the org sees the potential. The fastball had great movement and the offspeed stuff looked great. He just needs to get a bit more command and he could really come into his own. I will be interested to see if having true access to Fetter and the other coaches helps him out too. I think at the very least I can see a high leverage reliever if he can get the walks under control. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

This was the first Montero start I have been able to actually sit down and watch it and I can definitely see where the org sees the potential. The fastball had great movement and the offspeed stuff looked great. He just needs to get a bit more command and he could really come into his own. I will be interested to see if having true access to Fetter and the other coaches helps him out too. I think at the very least I can see a high leverage reliever if he can get the walks under control. 

And the HBP's...

He had two of them yesterday.

Ditto on the Org sees potential...

You can see the "stuff" that he has. It's good.

He just has to be able to consistently "harness" it. I have no idea if that means repeatability, smoothing mechanics, gaining better command and/or control... or whatever. It's there, he has "it"... but he does have to do better than the 1.70 Toledo WHIP that he has or the 1.43 minors WHIP...

Pitching consistently like yesterday though... keeps him on the "future rotation" list.

And if he listens and takes coaching, he's ahead of Manning. Or maybe they have decided that Manning can't be trusted even if he's trying hard.

Either way, I want MM to get a lot of starts in the majors once Flaherty is gone and Maeda is hurt again/DFA.

9 minutes ago, kdog said:

Either way, I want MM to get a lot of starts in the majors once Flaherty is gone and Maeda is hurt again/DFA.

Manning’s stuff seems to run hot and cold, he can’t reproduce what he does when he pitches well with any consistency. I guess we have to hope that mechanics tweaking gets him there. There was a nice stretch last yr before the last injury when he seemed to have it figured out but he hasn’t gotten back to that since.