7/4/24 1:10PM Tigers @ Twins

14 minutes ago, kdog said:

Looking at game logs, he’s gotten into the 6th inning two times in his last 10 starts. I’m not sure he can eat innings. 

Well, I know one thing, Harris aint no Brad Holmes...and that's sad.

25 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

Well, I know one thing, Harris aint no Brad Holmes...and that's sad.

Give him a few years until his draft picks make it to Detroit. At least Avila isn't here any more. We really don't know if Harris is allowed to spend any money or not, seeing him give a 2 year contract to a terrible pitcher doesn't give anyone confidence in his decision making. Maybe he can swing a couple of trades that will improve the team and not increase our low payroll. Yeah...

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Give him a few years until his draft picks make it to Detroit. At least Avila isn't here any more. We really don't know if Harris is allowed to spend any money or not, seeing him give a 2 year contract to a terrible pitcher doesn't give anyone confidence in his decision making. Maybe he can swing a couple of trades that will improve the team and not increase our low payroll. Yeah...

I agree with that, but a Brad Holmes wouldnt keep a guy like Maeda on, even if he signed him for a couple years for millions...Brad would admit his mistake, and move on asap.  Scott...well, seems some ppl just want to make excuses for him when he does bad GM-ing 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Not saying Maeda should be on the team and I am no Harris apologist, but where exactly is he supposed to find some replacement that can pitch at a mlb level right now?  The AAA cupboard is pretty bare.  I get it, people want to see Manning.

Well I was ok with the Maeda signing. I liked it so I will wear it but the only option is rolling him back out in five days and if he continues to stink then move him to the bullpen. Not going to DFA him and we shouldn’t. I think and hope he returns to expectations. 

1 hour ago, tiger2022 said:

Not saying Maeda should be on the team and I am no Harris apologist, but where exactly is he supposed to find some replacement that can pitch at a mlb level right now?  The AAA cupboard is pretty bare.  I get it, people want to see Manning.

I think they are going to have to press Montero into full time starting duty the way they did with Olson last year and hope they get lucky again. And of course if Mize's hammy is anything less than minor, they'll still need to keep starting Maeda.

Posted (edited)

They have  a narrow path to winning games. The starter has to be decent and give up four or fewer runs. After the game, Hinch said they have to find his command.

A bad start has been an aberration this season for the most part. But they are doing a bullpen game on Saturday and Flaherty is uncertain with his health and trade possibilities. So they are going to need more guys with or without Maeda.

Blurb from Cody's article:

spacer.png

Edited by kdog

2 hours ago, Adullin said:

We have to have better than Maeda. Even in the minors. 

we probably don't right now. But the attitude that we have to endure Maeda as some sort of penance for spending is not great. I understand not being able to do anything with Baez. But once they have options, having Maeda pitch is a waste of time..similar to Canha, Urshela, and McKinstry in the lineup. It's more about winding out the clock on his deal...not competing or winning. He'll either be DFA now or at the end of spring training next year.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

The field looks like a splash pad.

Yes, I know they wanted to get this game in, but at some point common sense needed to interfere with the proceedings.  Unfortunately it came down to a HBP that was dangerously high and tight on an obviously slipped pitch.

15 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Well I was ok with the Maeda signing. I liked it so I will wear it but the only option is rolling him back out in five days and if he continues to stink then move him to the bullpen. Not going to DFA him and we shouldn’t. I think and hope he returns to expectations. 

I also thought it was a fine signing.  But its obvious that he just cannot find what he had to miss bats in the past.  I mentioned in another thread that his SO% is down to 17% from a career average of about 27%.  HR% is up a bit as well, but that SO% is just alarming.  I think there was risk that he would age, but this drop in production seems to be unprecedented.

Maeda’s salary is not that ridiculous that it would prevent him from being waived. Unfortunately, we need the innings, unless they start stretching out one or more of Wentz, Faedo and Brieske.

its too bad that none of Hurter, Flores or Madden has distinguished themselves in Toledo.

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

Maeda’s salary is not that ridiculous that it would prevent him from being waived. Unfortunately, we need the innings, unless they start stretching out one or more of Wentz, Faedo and Brieske.

its too bad that none of Hurter, Flores or Madden has distinguished themselves in Toledo.

Stretch out Wentz?  I love your sense of humor.

10 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Worst case scenario for that is someone else picks him up, they’re responsible for the minimum, we’re responsible for the rest, and then he comes back and beats us a couple times.

37 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Honestly it's unfortunate that Hurter looked like he pulled something in his last start. I know his ERA looks rough but his FIP is a whole run lower than his ERA and has a .360 BABIP running this year while striking out like 12 per 9 innings. He's almost 26 now so if he isn't hurt I would love to see what he has even if it is to bring him up to take Wentz spot and be the LR for when Maeda or Montero start.

On 7/5/2024 at 9:39 AM, Tenacious D said:

... they start stretching out one or more of Wentz...

On 7/5/2024 at 9:42 AM, casimir said:

Stretch out Wentz?  I love your sense of humor.

I'll go along with this.

But I'm going to need to apply my, ummmm....

UNIQUE!!!

Perspective:

Let's stretch out Wentz. Make him a starter.

In...

TOLEDO!!!

In fact, let's do that now, or as soon as Lael Lockhart can be called up.

Wentz can be stretched out in Toledo... and stay there. He can be the "break glass in case of emergency" Detroit starter... meaning there would have to be 6 starting pitcher injuries before we needed to turn to him for an "emergency" start. And even that would be debatable as Hinch can always go to a bullpen day instead...

As for Lockhart: he's struggling right now in Toledo (first time in AAA) with a 1.58 WHIP as a starter. But last year, and this year in AA, he had a 1.167 and 1.036 WHIP as a starter, respectively. My theory, and this is only a theory... Is that if Lockhart can be switched to the lefty multi-inning (2-3) middle reliever in Detroit, and ALSO be able to work with Fetters, he can: (A) "Cut loose", or "let 'er rip", whichever is the preference, for those 2-ish innings, and (B)e better than Wentz has been this year. Not a highly impossible task, IMO. And (C) Work with Fetters. I don't know what Fetters can do with him, but I'm interested in finding out.

I actually have no idea what kind of "stuff" Lockhart has...

But I do know that he struck out 11 per 9 in Erie last year, albeit with 4 BB's per 9; THIS year in Erie he was at 11.6 K's/9, and 2.9 BB's/9. His struggles in Toledo have him at 12.2 K's/9 and 5 BB's/9.

If switching him to middle reliever, even though it's in Detroit (per my theory), he could: Pound the strike zone. Cut loose. And Fetters work with him on anything that helps at all. I see upside, IMO...

But that's just a theory.

42 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'll go along with this.

But I'm going to need to apply my, ummmm....

UNIQUE!!!

Perspective:

Let's stretch out Wentz. Make him a starter.

In...

TOLEDO!!!

In fact, let's do that now, or as soon as Lael Lockhart can be called up.

Wentz can be stretched out in Toledo... and stay there. He can be the "break glass in case of emergency" Detroit starter... meaning there would have to be 6 starting pitcher injuries before we needed to turn to him for an "emergency" start. And even that would be debatable as Hinch can always go to a bullpen day instead...

As for Lockhart: he's struggling right now in Toledo (first time in AAA) with a 1.58 WHIP as a starter. But last year, and this year in AA, he had a 1.167 and 1.036 WHIP as a starter, respectively. My theory, and this is only a theory... Is that if Lockhart can be switched to the lefty multi-inning (2-3) middle reliever in Detroit, and ALSO be able to work with Fetters, he can: (A) "Cut loose", or "let 'er rip", whichever is the preference, for those 2-ish innings, and (B)e better than Wentz has been this year. Not a highly impossible task, IMO. And (C) Work with Fetters. I don't know what Fetters can do with him, but I'm interested in finding out.

I actually have no idea what kind of "stuff" Lockhart has...

But I do know that he struck out 11 per 9 in Erie last year, albeit with 4 BB's per 9; THIS year in Erie he was at 11.6 K's/9, and 2.9 BB's/9. His struggles in Toledo have him at 12.2 K's/9 and 5 BB's/9.

If switching him to middle reliever, even though it's in Detroit (per my theory), he could: Pound the strike zone. Cut loose. And Fetters work with him on anything that helps at all. I see upside, IMO...

But that's just a theory.

Wentz is out of options.  Maybe he sneaks through, maybe he doesn't.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

Wentz is out of options.  Maybe he sneaks through, maybe he doesn't.

If another teams claims him, that's fine. They've given him plenty of runway and he can't get outs. He should go elsewhere to try and find himself.

1 minute ago, kdog said:

If another teams claims him, that's fine. They've given him plenty of runway and he can't get outs. He should go elsewhere to try and find himself.

Sure.  Just pointing out a "risk" to the stretch him out as a SP in Toledo theory.

35 minutes ago, casimir said:

Sure.  Just pointing out a "risk" to the stretch him out as a SP in Toledo theory.

Agreed...I dont think he's worth wasting development time on any longer. We have other lefties at Toledo who are tweeners(Lockhart, Hannifee). They should be the next lefties in line once Wentz has been removed.