Pitching/managing disaster

So, apparently Hinch once again, displays his incompetence and allows Maeda to give up 9 runs fefore pulling him.  Hinch cannot determine when it's time to put in a reliever, yet anyone wathcing the game could see that Maeda should have been pulled after he loaded the bases in the 3rd.  By my count Hinch is responsible or 17 lost games due to his stupidity.  Did he really think Maeda wa going to do better?  Or maybe he was afraid that pulling Maeda would hurt his feelings and perhaps spark another attack on Pearl Harbor.  I didn't watch the Post game show but I'd bet that Hinch didn't take the blame for the loss.  Let's face it.  The tigers are never going to win any championship with Hinch in charge.  In fact the Tigers haven't had a good manager since Sparky Anderson.  And with the current ownership and top organization hot shots (Harris, Greenberg) they will simply stumble along pretending to be a major league baseball team.  Hinch doesn't have the grey matter needed to be a succesful manager.

I despise Hinch, but he has to put Maeda out there every 5 games.  They aren't going anywhere this season so might as well get as many innings out of him as you can.  

This is a poorly constructed team and a manager only has so much control over who is on the roster.  

They've lost 7 out of 8 series.  And I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they end up losing 100 games.

4 hours ago, Rob Miller said:

So, apparently Hinch once again, displays his incompetence and allows Maeda to give up 9 runs fefore pulling him. Or maybe he was afraid that pulling Maeda would hurt his feelings and perhaps spark another attack on Pearl Harbor.  I didn't watch the Post game show but I'd bet that Hinch didn't take the blame for the loss.  Let's face it.  The tigers are never going to win any championship with Hinch in charge.  In fact the Tigers haven't had a good manager since Sparky Anderson.  

Is someone channeling Jack Morris?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

I despise Hinch, …

I won’t say I despise anybody. However, I hated the day Avila hired him because he didn’t have the guts to do the right thing in Houston. 
I would really like to have a different manager but Hinch and Harris are major bromance bros now. It sucks for the organization but it is what it is now. 
I have zero confidence that Harris or Hinch will do enough the move the needle in Detroit. But they both talk a really good game.

6 hours ago, buddha said:

its very funny that people think aj hinch is the problem with this team.

I think Hinch is a hypocritical, arrogant, smug, lying dirtbag.  While he may not be the number 1 problem, he certainly isn't the solution.

2 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

I think Hinch is a hypocritical, arrogant, smug, lying dirtbag.  While he may not be the number 1 problem, he certainly isn't the solution.

I believe Hinch is one of the top managers in the game and the Tigers are lucky to have him, but fans of every franchise routinely despise and second guess their managers, especially when that team is losing, so here we are.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

We’re down two SP (Mize and Flaherty) and Manning has been inconsistent at Toledo.  As mentioned, we’re going to see Maeda every 5 days, as long as he’s healthy.

True.  Unfortunately Maeda's SO% has just completely fallen off of the table this season.  Down from a career average of around 27% to 17%.  I don't know for sure, maybe one of the more expert statheads can weigh in on effects of aging, but this seems to be an unforeseen level of collapse.

In a vacuum, he should be dumped.  The problem is the SP depth isn't there right now.  And considering Flaherty is going to be circulated in trade talks, even when he returns it probably won't be for long.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

i'm sure all of you who hold disdain for hinch over the astros cheating have the same disdain for del baker, and hank greenberg, and rudy york for cheating and stealing signs in the 1940 world series.  having a guy in center field tell them what pitches were coming.

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/sign-stealing-helped-tigers-win-1940-pennant/

right?

One more reason for me to detest Del Baker

• Haha 3

i'm sure all of you who hold disdain for hinch over the astros cheating have the same disdain for del baker, and hank greenberg, and rudy york for cheating and stealing signs in the 1940 world series.  having a guy in center field tell them what pitches were coming.

right?

What teams were they managing?

Saturday has been designated as a bullpen game to help starting pitching rest up, because everyone has to go all out 100% on every pitch so they can dot corners with twisty upper 90s trick pitches to get swing and miss, and that wears downs elbows and shoulders fast. They have to do that because all nine guys in a batting order can take you out of the park on any pitch near the zone. Gone are the days Mickey Lolich and Denny McClain and Hank Aguirre and Jim Bunning could lay up on the bottom half of every opponent’s batting order—plus pitch to pitchers!—off of flat mounds to nose-to-toes strike zones so they could pad their innings.

We had to get as many innings out of Maeda as we could so we could preserve the pen for the next few games. We had to give him the chance to pitch through it—unfortunately, this time, he just couldn’t. That happens. It’s baseball, so there’s no guarantee. Don’t like it? Lions training camp starts in three weeks, so you won’t have to think about the Tigers for the rest of the year if you don’t want to.

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Saturday has been designated as a bullpen game to help starting pitching rest up, because everyone has to go all out 100% on every pitch so they can dot corners with twisty upper 90s trick pitches to get swing and miss, and that wears downs elbows and shoulders fast. They have to do that because all nine guys in a batting order can take you out of the park on any pitch near the zone. Gone are the days Mickey Lolich and Denny McClain and Hank Aguirre and Jim Bunning could lay up on the bottom half of every opponent’s batting order—plus pitch to pitchers!—off of flat mounds to nose-to-toes strike zones so they could pad their innings.

We had to get as many innings out of Maeda as we could so we could preserve the pen for the next few games. We had to give him the chance to pitch through it—unfortunately, this time, he just couldn’t. That happens. It’s baseball, so there’s no guarantee. Don’t like it? Lions training camp starts in three weeks, so you won’t have to think about the Tigers for the rest of the year if you don’t want to.

if youre making an argument that pitchers have to go all out to avoid giving up homeruns to everyone in the lineup, doing so in a forum with folks who have to watch the 2024 tigers bat may not be the most receptive audience.

• Haha 1

if youre making an argument that pitchers have to go all out to avoid giving up homeruns to everyone in the lineup, doing so in a forum with folks who have to watch the 2024 tigers bat may not be the most receptive audience.

Maybe they simply need to go to a different bat supplier?  Have the Tigers thought about that?

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, buddha said:

I hear ya, and I chuckled, but it is the reality we are facing at the moment.

Fun fact: over the past seven days, the Tigers have given up home runs at a lower rate than the Dodgers, Yankees, Orioles, and Guardians have. Of course, all of them have given up homers at a greater rate than 24 other teams have. 😁

Edited by chasfh

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

I believe Hinch is one of the top managers in the game and the Tigers are lucky to have him, but fans of every franchise routinely despise and second guess their managers, especially when that team is losing, so here we are.

And other fans believe their manager is infallible.  

31 minutes ago, buddha said:

right?

The question I have about Hinch is he supposedly didn't want them to cheat and they cheated anyway.  That makes him seem like a weak leader.  And I know everybody is going to tell me there was nothing he could do about it.  I understand that sentiment, but it's still difficult to see that happening to Leyland or Anderson.  

• Like 1

It makes him look like an inept and powerless manager who didn't have the balls to do anything.  

It's probably why McKinstry stays in the lineup.  Right before Hinch takes out the lineup card to the umpire, Zach simply grabs it, pencils in his name and says "like, you're going to do anything about it."

• Haha 1