Pitching/managing disaster

5 hours ago, buddha said:

i'm sure all of you who hold disdain for hinch over the astros cheating have the same disdain for del baker, and hank greenberg, and rudy york for cheating and stealing signs in the 1940 world series.  having a guy in center field tell them what pitches were coming.

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/sign-stealing-helped-tigers-win-1940-pennant/

right?

And yet they still lost the WS. 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

You are just so relentlessly negative on every. Single. Aspect. Of this team. You seem so unhappy about everything, all of it, and I just want you to be happy.

Also, I don't believe he never told his players to stop, because the overwhelming evidence revealed by the reporting all but confirms that he did tell his players he wanted them to stop. And he's not giving back his ring because no one told him he has to. The players who absolutely did engage in the cheating are also not giving back their rings. We'll have the agree to disagree, but I'm pretty sure the evidence for my position is a lot stronger.

Several of those players may make the HOF. 

11 minutes ago, oblong said:

I’m wondering whether the episode will cost them votes. Writers withhold Hall of Fame votes for “morality” reasons a lot. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’m wondering whether the episode will cost them votes. Writers withhold Hall of Fame votes for “morality” reasons a lot. 

it will definitely cost them votes.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

it will definitely cost them votes.

And it defintiely should, since this is an actual morality issue, as opposed to steroids, which was more an incentives issue. JMO

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Funny how often that seems to happen!

Because you can never ever have too much pitching! It's one of the only tired old cliches rings true pretty much every time.  

3 hours ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Outside of Maeda, I don't have many complaints about the starting pitching this season. It's the lineup and bullpen that are the problem.

And even the bullpen was decent to start the season. They have really frayed in the last month or more. 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I don’t think so.  But maybe I downplay it.  I’m more bothered by how baseball handled it. These acts were so bad that management had to be suspended but in order to find out we had to give immunity to those who actually came up with it and did it.  The ultimate in cover ups and having it both ways.  

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

Saturday has been designated as a bullpen game to help starting pitching rest up, because everyone has to go all out 100% on every pitch so they can dot corners with twisty upper 90s trick pitches to get swing and miss, and that wears downs elbows and shoulders fast. They have to do that because all nine guys in a batting order can take you out of the park on any pitch near the zone. Gone are the days Mickey Lolich and Denny McClain and Hank Aguirre and Jim Bunning could lay up on the bottom half of every opponent’s batting order—plus pitch to pitchers!—off of flat mounds to nose-to-toes strike zones so they could pad their innings.

We had to get as many innings out of Maeda as we could so we could preserve the pen for the next few games. We had to give him the chance to pitch through it—unfortunately, this time, he just couldn’t. That happens. It’s baseball, so there’s no guarantee. Don’t like it? Lions training camp starts in three weeks, so you won’t have to think about the Tigers for the rest of the year if you don’t want to.

That's what I'm waiting for. A team with management that actually does everything they can to win. The Lions over the Tigers...it shows how much the Tigers have dropped. Sure, watching baseball is great. But watching bad baseball? No thanks...

7 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

Why is that your response to anyone who has anything critical about the tigers...maybe you should follow another team?

And no...he never told the players to stop.  And I don't see him giving back his world series ring.

I've argued with him several times and he never told me to follow another team. Maybe put me in my place but never to go away. 😆

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, oblong said:

That's the thing, they very well may have won without cheating. I remember a player accusing the Tigers of a guy in the stands stealing signs, years ago. We all thought he was crazy but who knows....

• Like 1