7/6/24 4:10PM Tigers @ Reds

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tigermojo said:

Hinch drives me nuts. Keith and Greene have a huge game, let's put perpetual slump Canha between them. Let's bat .285 OBP Vierling first because sometimes he's hot for three weeks (but not recently).

again - you can ascribe this to overplaying on theory. You don't want the pitcher to get comfortable facing the same side hitter *repeatedly*. But is two batters really enough for him to get that comfortable vs the value of grouping your best hitters? Maybe the transition back forth is actually harder if you let him get in a bit of groove each time then shift on him

In any case, I agree that in this case I think it's the wrong strategy.

(now watch Canha go 4/4!)

Edited by gehringer_2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TigerNation said:

Vierling is one of our 3 best hitter over the course of the season. Hitting him leadoff is reasonable given the lack of quality hitters.

Vierling is a mixed bag for leadoff because he is wildly inconsistent. He's been all over the map month to month -- from May at 925 OPS to June at 563.

Edited by gehringer_2

I believe this is the 2nd or 3rd game I've watched with Carlos Pena and I have to say I really like him. Offers great insight to what a batter is thinking at the plate without going too overboard into the "back in my day" or "what I would do in this situation", brings up past experiences but also speaks in generalities.  Definitely the best I've heard for us in awhile. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

so who beside AJ Hinch thought Brieske would get out of that after the 2nd walk?

(actually I don't believe he thought he'd get out of it either, but he was committed to his R/L plan)

Edited by gehringer_2

11 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

A Tigers bullpen day is basically a throwaway game. Our only chance is to score 8 to 12 runs.

Bullpen has given them a puncher's chance today...but the offense can't solve Hunter Greene.

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Miller...ugh. That's the best you have, Hinch?

Well it probably means he won't be pitching tomorrow if Skubal has a lead? IDK.

Just now, chasfh said:

Who are these guys and who do they think they are coming back like this to tie the game? Don't they know that Hinch is the manager and doesn't care about winning games? 😝

They're just setting up the fans to another late inning loss. Keep watching...