7/8/24 6:40PM Guardians @ Tigers

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Don't look now, but Isaac Paredes was also named to the All-Star team.

Thanks again Al and good thing he included a nice draft pick to "get er done". The power hitter we are searching for was given away. To this day I can not watch Tampa Bay highlights on my MLB package for fear of seeing him rake which is almost always assured. 

Seriously how can an organization miss so badly ?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Thanks again Al and good thing he included a nice draft pick to "get er done". The power hitter we are searching for was given away. To this day I can not watch Tampa Bay highlights on my MLB package for fear of seeing him rake which is almost always assured. 

Seriously how can an organization miss so badly ?

Just about everyone here liked the move a lot. I was the only one openly questioning it, and even I said back then that I liked the chutzpah of dealing from the top of the system for (what we thought was) an established middle-of-the-order hitter, and I knew Paredes was never going to make Avila's team anyway.

I bet Tampa knew at least something about Meadows' mental health issues going in.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I had no problem dealing Paredes, to me I thought he was gonna be a positionless player with little pop.  I thought he may end up giving you a plus average but it would be empty. His batted ball data just never indicated that he was gonna develop power, nor did the scouting reports.

So basically at the absolute best case scenario I thought he'd be like a Placido Polanco except without the premium up the middle defense.

That's not a terrible player but not somebody you'd lose sleep over, especially if you got a young 30+hr hitter in return like you thought you were getting.

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, kdog said:

Baez is getting activated off the IL before tonights' game. It's a fluid situation on who is getting sent down with Meadows injury.

Could be Baez for Kreidler today and Baddoo for Meadows whenever Meadows hits the IL.  Actually, given the timing of Baddoo's most recent demotion and the promotion/demotion rules, that might have to be way the ins and outs occur.

12 minutes ago, casimir said:

Ah, well, there you go.  Baddoo and Baez car pooling from Toledo to Detroit.

Baddoo has Kreidler's locker...so we are correct.

10 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Knowing how much Little I likes to spend I bet they are crammed together in a subcompact.......

Is that what we're calling Baby Doc these days? 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Just about everyone here liked the move a lot. I was the only one openly questioning it, and even I said back then that I liked the chutzpah of dealing from the top of the system for (what we thought was) an established middle-of-the-order hitter, and I knew Paredes was never going to make Avila's team anyway.

I bet Tampa knew at least something about Meadows' mental health issues going in.

It was hard to fault the deal based on what everyone thought Austen Meadows was, the frustration here was that they never gave Paredes a puncher's chance to show what he was before they moved him. And they could have used the help on the IF a lot more than in the OF in any case.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It was hard to fault the deal based on what everyone thought Austen Meadows was, the frustration here was that they never gave Paredes a puncher's chance to show what he was before they moved him. And they could have used the help on the IF a lot more than in the OF in any case.

This is what I'm saying: Avila blocked him here. Paredes was never going to get his chance, so, as long as we're going to deal him anyway, might as well get a middle-of-the-order thumper for him. It was a big swing by Avila that I thought was at least defensible, and I acknowledged that at the time—although I also said that I was not looking forward to watching Paredes fashion an All-Star career in someone else's threads.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I wonder how many homers CoPa would cost Paredes.

I'm not 100% certain on how to read this, but here goes—this is from Isaac Paredes's Savant page:

image.png.288ff143c17c4d5d28a286de2abf4d51.png

The way it looks to me, from all the balls Isaac Paredes has put into play since the beginning of 2022, he has hit 65 actual home runs since he went to Tampa. If he hit all those same in-play balls in the exact same way—same launch angle, same exit velocity, same direction, adjusted for time of day and atmospheric conditions, I suppose—all in the Tampa ballpark, he would have gotten 70 home runs out of them. But had he hit those same fly balls at Comerica, it would have resulted in 55 home runs.

I don't think this means Paredes has lost 15 home runs he would have gotten had he stayed in Detroit, but it might be fair to say that the long fly balls he did hit were -21% less likely to go out at Comerica than they would at the Trop. So, generally speaking, we can assume that he's gained several home runs more since going to Tampa than had he stayed here.

Although, do we really believe these numbers on their face? I mean, look at Baltimore, for cry eye! He would have had only 26 home runs on those same balls? Do you buy that? That seems like a hard sell to me, but I'm willing to listen to anyone who can tell me why that makes sense. One thing that tells me is that a lot of his home runs are wall scrapers, which makes sense, because get a load of how much blue there is in his hard hit metrics. I had no idea. So weird.

image.thumb.png.eaa404cddcab617327f1b2b078679d43.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

I also questioned it at the time as I have mentioned numerous times but in fairness did not expect him to OPS 900.