7/8/24 6:40PM Guardians @ Tigers

Montero just turned 24 years of age two days ago. It would be huge if he could be a reliable starter going forward. I’m not expecting anything from Manning from here on out. 

I'm pretty sure the Indians didn't get a guy to 2nd base tonight. Nice.

I thought Hinch was completely nuts for putting Miller in. Kudos to Miller for getting the job done.

Hinch hates Ibanez. 

Great job Montero!

After how he hit in the COVID year I thought Willi had All Star potential....atleast with the bat. His seemingly lack of position/defense was something that I figured could hold him back but offensively I thought he was capable of doing what he is this year. 

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

After how he hit in the COVID year I thought Willi had All Star potential....atleast with the bat. His seemingly lack of position/defense was something that I figured could hold him back but offensively I thought he was capable of doing what he is this year. 

Tony Phillips type of player?

I'm not doing the revisionist history on Willi. The last two years in Detroit he had a 73 and 86 OPS+. He also wasn't good defensively at any position.

I'll credit him and the Twins for improving his contact rate and power.

3 hours ago, casimir said:

Imagine a few years ago someone saying CastroW might be an all star one day.

I didn't imagine Willi being an All-Star, but I defended keeping him before he was let go last year. I'm thinking there was something more than just his evaluated potential or even his numbers at play in the decision. Same with Jeimer.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I didn't imagine Willi being an All-Star, but I defended keeping him before he was let go last year. I'm thinking there was something more than just his evaluated potential or even his numbers at play in the decision. Same with Jeimer.

I won't even blame Harris for it. He looked at the '21 and '22 numbers and figured the guy wasn't ever going to find consistency. His non-tender was probably a transition cost of changing regimes.

2 minutes ago, kdog said:

I'm not doing the revisionist history on Willi. The last two years in Detroit he had a 73 and 86 OPS+. He also wasn't good defensively at any position.

I'll credit him and the Twins for improving his contact rate and power.

I don't think that's true defensively. He was at least a slightly plus defender at more than one position. But he did obviously have the potential to be unlocked offensively, and the Twins figured that out, mostly by getting him to be patient at the plate. I know people hate everything about the Tigers' hitting coaches here, but they do practice patience at the plate, so I think Willi could have done that here, too. And of course, with the bigger bases, the Twins let Willi loose and now he's a 20-30 steals guy.

Just now, kdog said:

I won't even blame Harris for it. He looked at the '21 and '22 numbers and figured the guy wasn't ever going to find consistency. His non-tender was probably a transition cost of changing regimes.

I'm not sure Harris should escape blame.  That does fall under his radar of transactions.

1 minute ago, kdog said:

I don't know, I'm having trouble imagining that I saw something in Willi (and Jeimer) going forward that Scott Harris didn't. That's whhy I'm thinking it must be more than a pure performance evaluation that doomed him here. I wonder whether what factored into the decision was some combination of the press relentlessly hammering the Tigers on Willi and Jeimer and ownership wanting it to stop; and that maybe Willi and Jeimer were not the right kind of clubhouse guys, since this is an characteristic Harris is explicitly seeking, for better or worse.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, casimir said:

I'm not sure Harris should escape blame.  That does fall under his radar of transactions.

Or maybe Harris just ****ed up on both of them. That's a possibility, too. Maybe I should be PBO instead! 🤪

Edited by chasfh

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

Willi's projected arbitration salary was $1.7 million for 2023. It's also possible that Harris was given the indication from Hinch and staff that Willi was never going to get it.

Additionally, the Tigers hitting staff might not have unlocked what the Twins did. Harris saw the projected salary for tendering Willi and decided to go with someone else. This is a small move IMO and I'm not going to kill Harris for it.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't know, I'm having trouble imagining that I saw something in Willi (and Jeimer) going forward that Scott Harris didn't. That's whhy I'm thinking it must be more than a pure performance evaluation that doomed him here. I wonder whether what factored into the decision was some combination of the press relentlessly hammering the Tigers on Willi and Jeimer and ownership wanting it to stop; and that maybe Willi and Jeimer were not the right kind of clubhouse guys, since this is an characteristic Harris is explicitly seeking, for better or worse.

Hinch and his 2022 hitting staff was likely the primary information source on Willi. If they didn't want him, Harris saw it as an easy non-tender.

Just now, kdog said:

Hinch and his 2022 hitting staff was likely the primary information source on Willi. If they didn't want him, Harris saw it as an easy non-tender.

You may be right, although given his embrace of data science, it would frankly shock me to learn that Harris let Willi go because a hitting coach said words.

Another possibly explanation I've yet to contemplate is that the data science Harris relied on at the time was flawed.

3 hours ago, kdog said:

Willi's projected arbitration salary was $1.7 million for 2023. It's also possible that Harris was given the indication from Hinch and staff that Willi was never going to get it.

Additionally, the Tigers hitting staff might not have unlocked what the Twins did. Harris saw the projected salary for tendering Willi and decided to go with someone else. This is a small move IMO and I'm not going to kill Harris for it.

The Twins signed him to a minor league deal. That shows you what the league thought of him. The Twins have been living right lately. The Correa free agent deal (with SF?) falling through and WC suddenly turning into an All-Star? Fans don't appreciate the luck factor enough. 

• Thanks 1