7/10/24 6:40PM Guardians @ Tigers

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

He did say before the series that Foley wasn't a good match up against Cleveland. But I think he meant the middle of their order. That's a dangerous offensive team, very good.

I'm pretty confident Hinch was managing the pens' workload so he can effectively gameplan for the rest of the week's games. For some reason, probably related to rest planning or minor owies, it was going to be better for the bullpen if Faedo could have closed out the game. But he couldn't, and at least Hinch didn't leave him in there to lose it.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I'm pretty confident Hinch was managing the pens' workload so he can effectively gameplan for the rest of the week's games. For some reason, probably related to rest planning or minor owies, it was going to be better for the bullpen if Faedo could have closed out the game. But he couldn't, and at least Hinch didn't leave him in there to lose it.

But I've heard Hinch say he does everything he can to win the current game and to worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Several times I've heard him say that when questioned about his BP usage.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Turns out Faedo and Foley were the only two fresh relievers coming into the game. Maybe Fetter saw something before the game that made him think Faedo was going to be sharper than Foley. Who knows. I'm at least 93% confident that A.J. Hinch wasn't trying to lose the game.

at least!

:classic_laugh:

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

But I've heard Hinch say he does everything he can to win the current game and to worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Several times I've heard him say that when questioned about his BP usage.

I might postulate that what he says to the media about how he manages ain't necessarily what goes on behind the scenes.

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Especially a division game. Extra special.

Did anyone hear if Beau Brieske is OK?

He’s hurting, but getting better. I forget who the woman is on the radio broadcasts, but she was talking about it. 

17 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Runner did his best to force an error. That is a very hard play for a runner, you get winded quickly.

As a 56 almost 57 year old coach who teaches 18U softball girls how to do rundowns by doing the baserunning himself, tis 'struth

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I might postulate that what he says to the media about how he manages ain't necessarily what goes on behind the scenes.

yeah - any Manager who says he isn't managing to win the most games in the season is probably lying, and to do that you definitely will occasionally have to decide to save your staff when the odds against comeback get steep..

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

As a 56 almost 57 year old coach who teaches 18U softball girls how to do rundowns by doing the baserunning himself, tis 'struth

So you saw how bad the Tigers executed the rundown? I mean, it was great they got the out but that's not how it's taught. 😆

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - any Manager who says he isn't managing to win the most games in the season is probably lying, and to do that you definitely will occasionally have to decide to save your staff when the odds against comeback get steep..

But with this bullpen, it's who can you count on in a close game? They've been better but they seem allergic to the strike zone.

7 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

So you saw how bad the Tigers executed the rundown? I mean, it was great they got the out but that's not how it's taught. 😆

the only thing they did right was to get a good set up at the end - with the ball going to Vierling - probably the fastest defender, chasing the runner back to third, so the other runner couldn't risk trying to get there. Of course if Vierling runs him down the 1st time he has the ball that's much better, which might have happened if Matt had come off the base toward the runner a little before Jake made the 1st throw or if Jake waits another step - but Vierling is an outfielder after all....🤷‍♂️

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

But with this bullpen, it's who can you count on in a close game? They've been better but they seem allergic to the strike zone.

Best of all possible worlds it that Miller picks up the slack. He's the guy with the resume.

34 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Well, too many throws.  For me, it takes an act of congress to get the girl to follow the runner to the next base.  The fact that Vierling had plus speed helped end the thing. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Best of all possible worlds it that Miller picks up the slack. He's the guy with the resume.

He's done better recently but pretty inconsistent so far this season. If he's healthy and effective, he could really help out.

47 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yes. Rogers threw to third too soon. Before the runner was retreating. One throw holds the hitter on first. Rogers wasn’t his usual self defensively today 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, casimir said:

A doubleheader might be helpful given the benefit of the ability to add another pitcher amongst some of the planned and unplanned bullpen games lately.

Or maybe just run it tonight and see what happens.

7 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Yes. Rogers threw to third too soon. Before the runner was retreating. One throw holds the hitter on first. Rogers wasn’t his usual self defensively today 

THIS.  i watched the replay and wondered what Jake was doing after he threw.   He just stops in the worst possible place.  That plus all the passed balls.  Was he betting on the Guardians last night and somewhere his daughter or wife is tied to the train tracks unless he throws the game away?

11 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

It’s a Mormon phrase that I jokingly use that I saw the Mormon girl in the first year of The Survivor TV show use because she was too polite to swear. 

See, I was guessing it was Amish.