7/12/24 6:40PM Dodgers @ Tigers

1 minute ago, kdog said:

Tough outcome...just could not get the insurance runs needed.

Lots of traffic on the bases. Just couldn't cash in enough of them. This is better than the 3 up, 3 down that plagued them in June. Bullpen continues to be hit or miss as well. 

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

just sloppy enough on the bases to cost them. Wenceel with the pop-up slide that didn't stay on the base and Riley getting caught leaning. Losing 2 outs in close game is gonna be trouble.

You beat me to it. Mental mistakes aren’t something an average, at best, team can overcome. Riley getting picked at first was ridiculous.

credit to Roberts for challenging the two overturned calls. 

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Ohtani got that pitch up in the zone to smoke because the home plate umpire did not give us that first pitch strike, and I wonder whether it had anything to do with Jake jawing at him after striking out on that legitimately in-the-zone pitch. 

I can’t wait to see his umpire score card tomorrow.

Frustrating to see the box score and how the bullpen failed again.  Then check out some of the videos and see some of the base running mistakes.  This was the Skubal outing of the series, so to lose this one in such a fashion is a tough one to take.

On the flip side, this is the Dodgers on the docket.  The Tigers lurched out to a 3 run lead early and held them in check for most of the game despite being the inferior team with some major issues that have really been a disappointment this season.  And they can still win the series.

12 hours ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

this Greene kid is going places.

Yes.  Its fun to have more than the one quota filling all star.  Its fun to have legitimate current franchise cornerstones on both the mound and at the plate / in the field.  While Skubal gets a lot of attention about whether to trade or extend, and given the extension that Keith agreed to, what kind of future are we looking at with Greene?  He's been healthy this season.  Is it time to buy out a few free agent seasons with an extension?

6 hours ago, Adullin said:

Not happy with the outcome.  Tigers got screwed with the strike zone and the two challenges. 

The Tigers did not get screwed on the challenges. They were both correctly overturned. 
As far as the strike zone is concerned, the Challenge System can’t come soon enough. 

21 minutes ago, 1776 said:

The Tigers did not get screwed on the challenges. They were both correctly overturned. 
As far as the strike zone is concerned, the Challenge System can’t come soon enough. 

Those two overturns looked conclusive on replay.  Can’t really complain about that. I know it’s easier to say than do, but the Perez play in particular is why you keep the ball on the runner through a play at a base just in the event the runner loses contact with the base.

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

Is EUZ an acronym for estimated umpire zone?

Had to look it up:

Consistency metrics provided by @UmpScorecards represent the proportion of taken pitches considered consistent with the umpire's established zone in any given game. Our algorithm begins by finding the 'established' zone, or what we call the Estimated Umpire Zone (EUZ).

5 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Had to look it up:

Consistency metrics provided by @UmpScorecards represent the proportion of taken pitches considered consistent with the umpire's established zone in any given game. Our algorithm begins by finding the 'established' zone, or what we call the Estimated Umpire Zone (EUZ).

I suppose I could have done that, but alas, I’m stupid ……. and contagious.

9 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

You are fine Kurt Cobain. But do I see that stat as if umpire consistently call a terrible zone they get rewarded?

I think the players and coaches will take some slight deviations from the zone as long as the calls are consistent.  Doesn’t mean they won’t argue a call or two, but I think they generally accept the consistency from pitch to pitch as opposed to strict adherence of the true zone by rule.  The strike zone, while it might be outlined in the rule book to be an exact rectangle extrapolated by the dimensions of the plate, it ain’t going to be called that precisely by human eyes.

And Polly wants a cracker.

Edited by casimir

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

I think the players and coaches will take some slight deviations from the zone as long as the calls are consistent.  Doesn’t mean they won’t argue a call or two, but I think they generally accept the consistency from pitch to pitch as opposed to strict adherence of the true zone by rule.  The strike zone, while it might be outlined in the rule book to be an exact rectangle extrapolated by the dimensions of the plate, it ain’t going to be called that precisely by human eyes.

And Polly wants a cracker.

I think I should get off her first.

Robot strikezone can't get here soon enough. Ump calls all other aspects behind the plate BUT ball and strikes. Green light Ball Red light Strike.