*Summer League* 7/13/24 7:00PM Pistons at 76ers

5 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Thought Holland looked bad.  But Sasser was worse.  A 4 year college player with 1 year NBA experience should dominate the summer league if you are half a player.

considering he's about 5'8, perhaps he is just half a player?

Sasser looked bad and in general I don't think he has a place on this roster now that you have taller shooters available who can actually catch and shooter rather than requiring a side step dribble every time. He's clearly not a point guard either. I'd love to see them pick up a vet PG (if they can find one) even if they're going to stagger Cade and Ivey.

Holland looked like I expected. An athletic prospect who needs work and is suddenly realizing that he can't just out-athlete everyone anymore. But, that's why they built a roster of serviceable vets so we don't have to play a rookie who needs development 35 minutes per game like Weaver did.

Klintman looked pretty good. Showed some nice passing, cutting, and shooting touch.

Daniss Jenkins was better than Sasser and had some nice defensive plays, but overall he was nothing to write home about.

Overall, this summer league roster is bad. Very little shooting, no actual PG, and the center position is terrible.

Still wish we could've landed Reed Sheppard.

SL Game 2 was a lot more fun even though Ron Holland didn't play (are we seriously doing Load Management in Summer League?). They're saying he'll play tomorrow.

It's been a long time since I got to hear an announcer say, "dominate defensive performance by the Pistons in the 4th quarter."

Jenkins played really well and carried the team in the first half. He had half the teams points and played some solid defense all night.

Sasser was garbage in the first half, but played a nice second half breaking down the defense despite not being able to make an outside shot. Even so,  as a second year NBA player at his age he should be dominating Summer League and he's just not.

Another nice game from Klintman who was the only other guy hitting outside shots.

Reed and Whitemore came in as the darlings of Summer League to this point and they got absolutely locked up by the Pistons defense.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

for god's sake.  you have to be kidding me.

Yes, they need to rest Holland to prepare for the gauntlet schedule the Pistons will be facing in August and September.

• Haha 1

Sasser looks good handling the ball...he'd better given his experience but his shot has been erratic.  Could be in danger of losing his spot on th roster to Jenkins, who has a handle and looks like the better shooter

Not real impressed with Holland tonight.  Good jumper but not nearly as explosive as I thought with his first step.  His handle is ugly.  He was credited with 0 TO's but he had it poked away multiple times.  Not a good decision maker, no feel for the game.  

Klintman?  Look, its summer league.  You are happy he is playing well but lets see what happens when the season starts.

3rd game was a lot like the second game where the team played much better in the second half and came out with the win.

One of the beat reporters said that the team wants Sasser to show his playmaking, which makes sense why he's been playing like garbage in the first half of these games and then, in the second half, you can see him flip the switch and go into scoring mode where he plays much better. He's not a PG. If that's what you want him to be trade him now. Also, if you want him to be a 6'1" SG on a team full of bigger SGs, trade him now. What I'm saying is, trade him.

Jenkins, on the other hand, has been showing me a lot more on both sides of the ball. I'm glad to see that the days of the Buddy Boeheim 2-way contracts are gone and we've managed to sign an actual player. It's just preseason, but he looks like a better fit at the end of the bench than Sasser.

Klintman looks like a solid pickup in the second round that could become a bench rotation player in the NBA. Smart player, very good passer, good cutter, can shoot from outside, can play some defense and rebound a bit as well. Needs some seasoning and some muscle, but he looks promising.

Holland looks...raw. Clearly a swing on upside, but this kid will need a couple years to develop. I like his constant aggression and he does fill up the stat sheet, but the efficiency, strength, IQ, and handle all need work. I don't expect him to get many minutes this season except in garbage time and at the end of the year.

2 hours ago, Betrayer said:

3rd game was a lot like the second game where the team played much better in the second half and came out with the win.

One of the beat reporters said that the team wants Sasser to show his playmaking, which makes sense why he's been playing like garbage in the first half of these games and then, in the second half, you can see him flip the switch and go into scoring mode where he plays much better. He's not a PG. If that's what you want him to be trade him now. Also, if you want him to be a 6'1" SG on a team full of bigger SGs, trade him now. What I'm saying is, trade him.

Jenkins, on the other hand, has been showing me a lot more on both sides of the ball. I'm glad to see that the days of the Buddy Boeheim 2-way contracts are gone and we've managed to sign an actual player. It's just preseason, but he looks like a better fit at the end of the bench than Sasser.

Klintman looks like a solid pickup in the second round that could become a bench rotation player in the NBA. Smart player, very good passer, good cutter, can shoot from outside, can play some defense and rebound a bit as well. Needs some seasoning and some muscle, but he looks promising.

Holland looks...raw. Clearly a swing on upside, but this kid will need a couple years to develop. I like his constant aggression and he does fill up the stat sheet, but the efficiency, strength, IQ, and handle all need work. I don't expect him to get many minutes this season except in garbage time and at the end of the year.

i cant wait for the first JEIII article about how klintman is the key to the team and once he gets on the floor the pistons will really start to hum...

remember how we traded up for sasser?  a "6'1" shooting guard?  i hate weaver so much.

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Not real impressed with Holland tonight.  Good jumper but not nearly as explosive as I thought with his first step.  His handle is ugly.  He was credited with 0 TO's but he had it poked away multiple times.  Not a good decision maker, no feel for the game.  

Klintman?  Look, its summer league.  You are happy he is playing well but lets see what happens when the season starts.

what did you think of buzelis?

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Holland looks like a bigger Ivey that plays better defense, apparently.

Don't want to take much from SL but his highlight package looks similar to what we've seen in SL thus far (although I didn't see his 1st game). The driving the ball recklessly into traffic and ending up turning the ball over or taking a low percentage shot, he's like a slightly bigger less speedy Ivey. He doesn't have the handle or the creativity to handle the ball as much as he does and he doesn't seem to shoot it well enough to be a guy that can finish off of Cade feeds so I'm not sure what his role will be in the NBA based on what I've seen of him. I'm sure he'll be an NBA regular because he has the tools but, as of now, it's hard to pinpoint what his role will be. 

I will say though that Ausar impressed me way more than Holland right off the bat for whatever that's worth. You can see right away Ausar's IQ shining through and the potential to be an elite defensive stopper. You could see that in SL instantly. If he ever developed an even average or slightly below average NBA three, he's an All Star level player IMO. Holland just looks very generic to me.

Edited by NYLion

57 minutes ago, buddha said:

what did you think of buzelis?

Better on defense than I thought. Probably better going to the rim as well. Terrible shot and if he makes it or not depends on improving it. Pretty big black hole on offense.