7/19/24 7:07PM Tigers @ Blue Jays

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Tigers play 12 straight days ending with a Wednesday off. What drunk wrote up this yrs sched?

The same guys that designed the All Star unis prolly.

Flaherty’s days are few here in Detroit and I really wish he were staying. Here or wherever, I hope he finishes strong this season. 

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Context:

Recovery time varies depending on the strain, with Grade 1 strains typically requiring 2-3 weeks and Grade 2 strains usually taking at least a month. Grade 3 strains often require surgery, however, and can come with considerably longer recovery periods.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/injuries/lat-strain

figures - he pitched well in his last outing.

I get the feeling that yesteryears’ out of shape and drunk half the time players who didn’t make it much past the age of 32 because they didn’t take good care of them at least weren’t injured all the time. I have no data to back this, but it’s just my off the cuff hunch. 

Just now, IdahoBert said:

I get the feeling that yesteryears’ out of shape and drunk half the time players who didn’t make it much past the age of 32 because they didn’t take good care of them at least weren’t injured all the time. I have no data to back this, but it’s just my off the cuff hunch. 

funny i'm currently reading Ball Four and Bouton at 30 in book is treated like a washed up has been

• Like 1

There was some discussion on whether Skubal should/ could be pitching against the Blue Jays (probably could) and why they pushed him back to face Cleveland in his 1st start after the AS break (need/ want Skubal against the lefty-heavy  Indians...).

I'm going to ignore that for a sec... Two points I want to make here:

1) Flaherty is the trade target. get him as many starts as possible before the deadline to showcase him, starting with tonight.

2) Back to Skubal: Subtle signal by Harris that Skubal is NOT on the market? "Look at Flaherty's starts.. Here 'ya go: ". "Oh, and never mind about this Skubal kid...".

Just conspiracy theorizing a bit here...

• Like 1

Glad this game is on Apple TV. At least I get something out of this subscription which fortunately my son pays for. 

Today I watched the first three episodes of “Sunny” which is based in Kyoto, Japan and the sets annd shots are amazing. Rashida Jones plays a tough American expatriate whose Japanese husband dies under suspicious circumstances and is assigned a robot friend for companionship by his dark, secretive corporation. She hates robots and enjoys saying “eat a ****” to them. She’s really charming. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

There was some discussion on whether Skubal should/ could be pitching against the Blue Jays (probably could) and why they pushed him back to face Cleveland in his 1st start after the AS break (need/ want Skubal against the lefty-heavy  Indians...).

I'm going to ignore that for a sec... Two points I want to make here:

1) Flaherty is the trade target. get him as many starts as possible before the deadline to showcase him, starting with tonight.

2) Back to Skubal: Subtle signal by Harris that Skubal is NOT on the market? "Look at Flaherty's starts.. Here 'ya go: ". "Oh, and never mind about this Skubal kid...".

Just conspiracy theorizing a bit here...

Or protecting the asset your keeping and riding hard the one your not ?

35 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Glad this game is on Apple TV. At least I get something out of this subscription which fortunately my son pays for. 

I’m on the other side of the coin-no Apple TV. Hate that. Wanted to watch Flaherty pitch.

• Like 1

One of the announcers declared Chris Bassett is from the tiny town of Clay, Ohio.  Clay is the school system of Oregon, Ohio, which is a decent sized suburb of Toledo.  Geographical knowledge you didn’t know you needed to get you through this game.  You’re welcome.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

One of the announcers declared Chris Bassett is from the tiny town of Clay, Ohio.  Clay is the school system of Oregon, Ohio, which is a decent sized suburb of Toledo.  Geographical knowledge you didn’t know you needed to get you through this game.  You’re welcome.

Nice area. Buggy whip.

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

Actually I think they mean Clay Township in Ohio which is also out that way but he went to Genoa School system.  Right next to Clay High School though.

Just now, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

So you have an Oregon near Toledo, and we have a Toledo in Oregon. Nice.

Oregon, Ohio is pronounced differently than the Oregon the state.  Oregon here has the syllables drawn out a bit longer and the “gon” sounds like a lot like the word “gone”.

1 minute ago, Nate7474 said:

Actually I think they mean Clay Township in Ohio which is also out that way but he went to Genoa School system.  Right next to Clay High School though.

Oh, yes, you’re right, I’m wrong.  I didn’t realize he went to Genoa, I always thought he went to Clay.  Genoa is a smaller system than Clay, and Clay Twp is certainly smaller than Oregon.  Thanks for correcting me.