7/19/24 7:07PM Tigers @ Blue Jays

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Counterpoint: they didn’t pitch nearly as hard yesteryear as they do today.

Just looking at stats from players in the past -aside from Babe Ruth who struck out a lot - many guys would walk 60 times and strike out 60 times. The strikeouts were low by today’s standards. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MeanJim said:

Who's gonna pitch the 9th? Faedo? Maeda? Wentz? Miller?

What's wrong with having a setup man and a closer? A couple months ago, I thought it was going to be Chafin and Foley, but it's different every time.

Foley got the save in the 8th. Getting Vlad was the biggest out of the game. And Toronto's last gasp...

6 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Just looking at stats from players in the past -aside from who Babe Ruth struck out a lot - many guys would walk 60 times and strike out 60 times. The strikeouts were low. 

Check out Trammell sometime. There's a reason he's a Hall of Famer.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

We’re celebrating Wenceel and you’re dropping asterisks.  Can we interest you in a hug?

I couldn't watch either and felt the same way.

I fell for Apple's free trial earlier in the season and it was a horror trying to cancel. Now they offer two free months. (It was a week when I tried it) They really want people to forget they signed up for it and keep paying...screw them AND MLB. 😆

57 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

this is Gania working with Scales? He gets a little more excited than I like when nothing has actually happened.

I noticed that tonight for sure but I don’t remember him being so much so last year.  Gania needs to take some ganja and chill. 

• Like 1

Just saw a couple highlights of the game and first impressions outside of the win was how different Rogers Centre looked. I guess it's kinda sad that it took me this long in the season to realize they made changes but when I saw the highlight I momentarily thought they may be playing in some other stadium in Canada that I never heard of. 

52 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Just looking at stats from players in the past -aside from Babe Ruth who struck out a lot - many guys would walk 60 times and strike out 60 times. The strikeouts were low by today’s standards. 

That’s because hitting got out ahead of pitching early, but now pitching is blowing out hitting. 

14 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Just saw a couple highlights of the game and first impressions outside of the win was how different Rogers Centre looked. I guess it's kinda sad that it took me this long in the season to realize they made changes but when I saw the highlight I momentarily thought they may be playing in some other stadium in Canada that I never heard of. 

You can tidy up a place a bit when you drop $500M on it.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I actually like Jim Weber, but maybe Tiger management considers him too old time. Or maybe he wasn't interested.

He is a bit on the seasoned side.  Maybe he's just a AAAA type of announcer?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

We went to a game a couple of years ago.  Seats were uppest deck behind the plate.  I remember walking to get up there and it was nothing but concrete in the corridor.  I think even the handrail and lights were made of concrete.  It was just a stale feeling.  I'm sure it was just victim of the era when it was built.  A few years later, Oriole Park was built and there was brand new thinking to baseball play pens.  Those corridors would be more open now with views of the city and/or field.

21 minutes ago, casimir said:

We went to a game a couple of years ago.  Seats were uppest deck behind the plate.  I remember walking to get up there and it was nothing but concrete in the corridor.  I think even the handrail and lights were made of concrete.  It was just a stale feeling.  I'm sure it was just victim of the era when it was built.  A few years later, Oriole Park was built and there was brand new thinking to baseball play pens.  Those corridors would be more open now with views of the city and/or field.

It's a cement toilet bowl, of a certain era, except it has a retractable roof.  There is nothing appealing about the game experience.  I preferred Its funky predecessor, Exhibition Stadium.

34 minutes ago, casimir said:

Miller seems a mystery to me.  Pretty decent peripherals, but when the batter makes contact, someone gets a souvenir.

Yup. He has either been the unluckiest guy on the staff, or he just loses focus on too many pitches. Sample sizes with relievers are so small you can lose a lot of games before you get a reliable read.

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

It's a cement toilet bowl, of a certain era, except it has a retractable roof.  There is nothing appealing about the game experience.  I preferred Its funky predecessor, Exhibition Stadium.

I went to several games at Exhibition Stadium. One time, we had seats down the LF line. Our backs were to home plate. Had a sore neck for a week...lol

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Every once in a while I'll see a snapshot of the Exhibition Stadium stands around the infield and I'm stunned that there was no roof or overhang there.  It seems so primitive.

And then the nothingness but empty football field beyond the right field wall.  That was distinctive to me from when I started watching.  I don't think I remember any stadium setup like that.  I know that's what the Dodgers had in the Colosseum when they moved out there.  But I think every other baseball/football stadium in the 70s/80s/90s had the retractable stands pushed in to make the baseball dimensions work.

I was going to University of Toronto in downtown Toronto during the September/October '87 pennant race.  I went to all four games the penultimate weekend, but because I was a poor student sat in the left field stands. The first couple sections near the left field foul pole weren't horrible, but since the stands angled away from the left field fence you got further and further away as you moved out sections. And for that series they opened sections that had rarely or never been used for baseball before. Put it this way - when Gibby's game tying home run in the 9th inning on Sunday went out, my seat had a straight on view of it going over the right field fence. 

As for the Skydome, I lived 3 blocks away from it when it opened in 1989. It was a relic the month it opened. It had a few neato features like the center field restaurant (which I ate at on a date) and the center field hotel (which I did not take the date back to) but tons of concrete and steepness and ugly turf. The last of the Veterans-Three Rivers-Waterfront style stadiums. Even back then, there had been a few voices for a different look, like that of a Buffalo minor league park that had opened a few years earlier. Camden Yards wasn't yet opened but I think it was already known what direction the Camden Yards builders were planning. 

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I was going to University of Toronto in downtown Toronto during the September/October '87 pennant race.  I went to all four games the penultimate weekend, but because I was a poor student sat in the left field stands. The first couple sections near the left field foul pole weren't horrible, but since the stands angled away from the left field fence you got further and further away as you moved out sections. And for that series they opened sections that had rarely or never been used for baseball before. Put it this way - when Gibby's game tying home run in the 9th inning on Sunday went out, my seat had a straight on view of it going over the right field fence. 

As for the Skydome, I lived 3 blocks away from it when it opened in 1989. It was a relic the month it opened. It had a few neato features like the center field restaurant (which I ate at on a date) and the center field hotel (which I did not take the date back to) but tons of concrete and steepness and ugly turf. The last of the Veterans-Three Rivers-Waterfront style stadiums. Even back then, there had been a few voices for a different look, like that of a Buffalo minor league park that had opened a few years earlier. Camden Yards wasn't yet opened but I think it was already known what direction the Camden Yards builders were planning. 

Tram was robbed.  Suck it George Bell. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, casimir said:

Yeah I was there in 2008 to see the Tigers and I had similar feelings. Walking around the corridors and concourse and you just didn't get the feeling that you were at a baseball game or stadium. Some parts felt like you were walking through an airport or mall to me.

Side note about this game, this was in April of 2008 when our heavily hyped team was off to that disastrous start so Blue Jay fans were giving us the business. I remember saying something like "Don't worry we'll be in 1st place by the end of the year"..... yeah not so much.