7/20/24 3:07PM Tigers @ Blue Jays

I won't hammer Vilade for that ill-advised dive in left, as long as he did it realizing it was a seven-run lead and that he could never do that close-and-late. Either way, though, it would probably have been a double.

42 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't think we are buying at the deadline for any reason. We're not going to go off plan and empty the top of the farm system just to have a puncher's chance at a third wild card spot.

Why not?  Doesn’t mean you trade for rentals—you can get team controlled players who teams might want to move that could be part of your core for a long time.  Vladdy Guerrero is a good example of this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Why not?  Doesn’t mean you trade for rentals—you can get team controlled players who teams might want to move that could be part of your core for a long time.  Vladdy Guerrero is a good example of this.

Because I think Harris won't deviate from his plan of building the system just for a puncher's chance. We will buy when we better establish our core and we need to fill just a few holes. Right now we still have more holes than not, despite our 11-4 run.

• Like 1

Down to 6.5 games back of the Twins for the Wild Card. Don't want to get ahead of myself but I will anyway, we play them at Copa next weekend, if we keep playing the way we are and pick up a game or 3 on them by then that could be a playoff like environment down there.

Just thinking that could be a reason Hinch didn't pitch Skubal this weekend, if he did he wouldn't be inline for that series but now he is. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Mize, Manning and Olson out. Brieske ineffective lately.  No one pitching effectively at Toledo.

Looks like Maeda back in the rotation and would make it more difficult to trade both Flaherty and Skubal without getting a ready rotation piece in return.

Time to see what Bonderman, Porcello and Fister are up to.

Randy Wolf turns his ringer volume up.

18 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Vlad can be a FA at the end of next season. So it would be a partial rental. And Toronto will prolly ask WAY too much for him. Maybe inquire about him but I wouldn't give up any top prospect(s) for him.

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Down to 6.5 games back of the Twins for the Wild Card. Don't want to get ahead of myself but I will anyway, we play them at Copa next week, if we keep playing the way we are and pick up a game or 3 on them by then that could be a playoff like environment down there.

40,000 fans gonna show Chris how bad Detroit wants a winner. After he counts all the $$ he makes, he'll loosen the purse strings and allow Harris to raise the payroll. Hey, a guy can dream, right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Am I naive to hope that with him being out of sorts all game, rather than a sudden pop, the injury might be a little less serious? Somewhere between precautionary and catastrophic?

Tigers' Reese Olson pulled from start after two innings with right shoulder soreness

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2024/07/20/tigers-reese-olson-pulled-from-start-after-two-innings-with-right-shoulder-soreness/74484066007/

The first step will be to take pictures. *IF* they don’t see anything they’ll let him try going into his weekly routine and see how it goes. 

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Mize, Manning and Olson out. Brieske ineffective lately.  No one pitching effectively at Toledo.

Looks like Maeda back in the rotation and would make it more difficult to trade both Flaherty and Skubal without getting a ready rotation piece in return.

Time to see what Bonderman, Porcello and Fister are up to.

I know you're kidding but just cause you mentioned his name I felt the need to bring up the fact that Rick Porcello is still only 35 which is wild to me, he's only less than a year older than Seth Lugo who is currently 3rd in the league in pitcher bWAR.

Just now, RatkoVarda said:

so much easier to win games when you score some runs

this team is pretty relislent and usually enjoyable to watch

hope this continues all season

The competition (or lack of) helps. Toronto sucks. But yeah, beat the teams you're supposed to. That's what the good team do.