7/21/24 1:37PM Tigers @ Blue Jays

Colt Keith probably wasn't going to tag out Springer on that double in any event, but he is going to have to learn how to take the throw from the outfield and stab his glove directly down to the base, to get the runner sliding into it, rather than reaching behind the bag a couple feet for the tag of the runner's, I don't know, butt? Point is, keep the glove in front of the runner, not behind him.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Colt Keith probably wasn't going to tag out Springer on that double in any event, but he is going to have to learn how to take the throw from the outfield and stab his glove directly down to the base, to get the runner sliding into it, rather than reaching behind the bag a couple feet for the tag of the runner's, I don't know, butt? Point is, keep the glove in front of the runner, not behind him.

He won't have that problem when they move him back to 3rd.......:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't know, maybe. I feel like he might end up at first once Tork is given the gate.

yeah - I know I'm in the minority, but I think Colt will be fine at 2B if they stick with him there until it becomes more ingrained for him. An average fielding middle IF that can carry an Keith's potential offense is a tremendous positive position differential for a team to have. You can generally find a lower fielding skill player to give you offense at first

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Tigers just a day late and dollar short today. Can't quite get the ball over the fence.

I was watching Hall of Fame speeches but saw Kelly's <almost> him run. Was there other robberies?

Edited by Sports_Freak

Pitching injuries have blunted my optimism from the past few weeks. But the overall energy and fight of the team has me more interested in each game. I’m still trading everyone  not nailed down except for Skubal.

32 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I’m OK with this result. I’m OK with everything right now. 

In the grand scheme, they won the series and they’re going to win the Cleveland series, so that will get them back to .500.  And then from there, we’ll see what they can do.

I for one am exhausted with what I feel is the over emphasis of platooning. McStinky in left field and bringing up Captain Bligh just because their lefties feels like a reach. Neither have and now or future in their game. Just let Ibanez and Verling play. They have a future with us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, romad1 said:

This game was just about 3 feet on balls hit to the outfield from being a route in our favor. 

I don’t know about a rout.  Varsho’s play in the 8th was well executed and saved the game for Toronto.

Springer (had a day) made that catch in the 1st which was nice, but not nearly as stress inducing in terms of probability of making it nor timing of game as Varsho’s catch.  Kind of wish he’d have lost this one in the sun rather than Perez’ home run yesterday.

What’s the third one that I’m missing?

7 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I for one am exhausted with what I feel is the over emphasis of platooning. McStinky in left field and bringing up Captain Bligh just because their lefties feels like a reach. Neither have and now or future in their game. Just let Ibanez and Verling play. They have a future with us. 

Ibanez doesn’t do well vs RHP, so I’m fine with him facing LHP (which he crushes) exclusively.  The tricky part there is Keith is coming alive and I’d like to see him face LHP as part of his maturation.  So where does that platoon for Ibanez come in?

I agree with you about Vierling playing everyday.  But I think everyone is getting a day off by design during this 10 game stretch.  Greene didn’t play yesterday vs the LHSP and it was mentioned that it’s RHSPs from here until the next day off.  So, if Greene is sitting a game, I have to believe everyone is going to be sitting once.

And, sure, part of Greene sitting might be because he didn’t get as much of a break as everyone else because of the all star game.  I suppose that could be part of his day off equation that doesn’t necessarily apply to everyone else.

2 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

What's the verdict on Vilade?

I just saw him the one game in RF and he looked a little rough out there.

He found his MLB bat it looks like... and he can play lots of positions... But if it's not very well at all those positions then....

What's the consensus...?

3 hours ago, casimir said:

I don’t know about a rout.  Varsho’s play in the 8th was well executed and saved the game for Toronto.

Springer (had a day) made that catch in the 1st which was nice, but not nearly as stress inducing in terms of probability of making it nor timing of game as Varsho’s catch.  Kind of wish he’d have lost this one in the sun rather than Perez’ home run yesterday.

What’s the third one that I’m missing?

Urshela at the end was not nearly "3 feet" away as I thought. 

43 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

He found his MLB bat it looks like... and he can play lots of positions... But if it's not very well at all those positions then....

What's the consensus...?

He's org fodder IMO. But it seems like you can call him up if you need help for a week or two. Plus they have a need for right handed bats in platoon situations.

57 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

What's the consensus...?

Can we evaluate on such a small sample size ? Probably as kids says. Agree not a solid looking outfielder but he did show a little with the bat. 

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

What's the consensus...?

I am not sure he can play the outfield well enough to see him as a 26 man roster kind of guy.

6 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Want them fresh for the Cleveland series.