7/22/24 6:40PM Tigers @ Guardians

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

This series will go a long way in determining what we do next Tuesday.

Do you honestly believe Harris is open to pursuing a playoff spot this year? 

4 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Do you honestly believe Harris is open to pursuing a playoff spot this year? 

Of course, but I would be honestly floored if he were to make any trades of minor leaguers for major leaguers to get there.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

This series will go a long way in determining what we do next Tuesday.

I think the pitching injuries have given us the correct answer. If you need to use Maeda out of necessity, you are cooked.

18 minutes ago, kdog said:

I think the pitching injuries have given us the correct answer. If you need to use Maeda out of necessity, you are cooked.

Well, yeah, you're right, there is that. We were never going to be legitimate playoff contender unless everything broke the right way, meaning, no injuries, and no horrible underperformances. But, as you said, we had injuries to Mize and now Olson, but also, injuries to Carpenter and Meadows (lately), earlier injuries to Urshela and Baez and Faedo and Ibanez, horrible underperformances by Tork and Lange and Maeda and Meadows (earlier), the slightly less horrible underperformance by Manning, and the ongoing awfulness that has been Baez. Top that with the fact that no one of our bullpen has shutdown closer ability, and Scott Harris would have to be flat out incompetent to believe that a trade for a veteran would put us in a good position to make the playoffs.

Edited by chasfh
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kdog said:

maybe you could have argued for Jobe to jump up if things were going well and there was just one hole to plug; too many holes on both sides of the ball to overcome lack of talent and depth

(or what Chas said)

A lot of the online discourse is that Jobe needs to be called up becuase he isn't challenged in AA and possibly AAA. Then there are service time manipulation takes. 

I remember that they did bring up Verlander in late 2005 for spot starts. I wouldn't mind that for Jobe. But they probably aren't going to give him a regular turn.

37 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

To me if you truly feel a pitcher is ready for the majors there is no point keeping him in the minors. Every extra pitch he throws down there is one less that he can throw for you in the majors. 

That's why a spot start (or two) isn't such a bad idea. JV found out his off-speed still needed work if he was going to stick.  Same kind of lesson might benefit Jobe - or you might find out he ready to handle it. Sure you have to figure out the roster issues, but in the end those have to be secondary considerations. But with Jobe they probably already have in innings cap in mind so he's probably not a candidate all that much this year in any case.

Edited by gehringer_2

#Tigers lineup today at Cleveland Guardians:

Matt Vierling (3B)
Colt Keith (2B)
Justyn-Henry Malloy (DH)
Riley Greene (CF)
Mark Canha (LF)
Wenceel Pérez (RF)
Gio Urshela (1B)
Javier Báez (SS)
Jake Rogers (C)

Tarik Skubal (LHP)

Just turned on the game, but they’re wasting all their time on “pick the stick“ and I also miss the good old days of MLB TV when they didn’t have much advertising and they would broadcast either dead air or the same ED commercial over and over again. From the background, it looks like the game is beginning on time.