LOCKOUT '22: When will we see baseball again?

When will the regular season start?   

47 members have voted

1. 1. When will the regular season start?

• On Time (late March)
    • During April
    • During May
    • During June
    • During July
    • No season in 2022. Go Mud Hens !
    • Fire Ausmus

51 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

that's your fault for watching those idiotic local "news" shows.  I just hope the damage done to your IQ is not irreparable.

I leave it on as background while I work.  Got kind of a crush on Deena.  

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Its somewhat amusing to hear that there's still time to sign a deal, start a week late, and just make up the first week somewheres along the line with doubleheaders, just as simple as that.  The Tigers were supposed to play in Seattle (4 games) and Oakland (3 games).  Traveling out there for doubleheaders on single days ought to be a treat, or, more realistically, there will be rescheduling gymnastics that will have domino effects on other series throughout the season.

Yeah, I'm coming around to the idea my prediction is wrong and at whatever point they do start, they'll just go all 1972 on the schedule.

56 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Get in line.

She has this fun demeanor and look in her eye, from reading the prompter I imagine, that makes me think she's on her third glass of wine and just "accidentally" bumped into you so that your hand touched her boob and she thinks it's kind of funny. 

21 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I feel one condition any agreement is that Tony Clark must shave his ridiculous beard.  The gray goatee he had for years was one thing but his new look is embarrassingly bad.   

plus he's my age and looks like an old man.... can't have someone my age looking like that.

I remember when he was in high school.  I went to a Christian HS and our old basketball coach had moved to San Diego to coach and word got around that one of his players could get drafted by the Tigers.  I don't recall if the coach had him in high school or if he was coaching a local college team that Tony would have went to had he not played baseball.  Tony was one of Bo's picks.  He said he "wanted Athletes" and since Tony was a pretty good basketball player that meant something apparently.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

She has this fun demeanor and look in her eye, from reading the prompter I imagine, that makes me think she's on her third glass of wine and just "accidentally" bumped into you so that your hand touched her boob and she thinks it's kind of funny. 

I used to see her at events at my kids' school, so I gather that I lived close to her somehow. 

Anyway, she's kind of short.  And she's not Amy Andrews . . . 

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I feel one condition any agreement is that Tony Clark must shave his ridiculous beard.  The gray goatee he had for years was one thing but his new look is embarrassingly bad.   

he's gone full civil war general with that beard.  i expect to hear violins and hear ken burns talking about mystic chords of memory when i see him.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

MLBPA wants that again, because they think that high spending teams drag everyone forward. at lest that what I think they think.

I think this is true, but with every player with under 6 yrs in the league either at the minimum or arb schedule I don't see why they think that is true. Soto getting 10 million more is not really going to to change the market for guys like Schoop and certainly not for any of the young guys. 

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think this is true, but with every player with under 6 yrs in the league either at the minimum or arb schedule I don't see why they think that is true. Soto getting 10 million more is not really going to to change the market for guys like Schoop and certainly not for any of the young guys. 

if anything it hurts guys like schoop.  less money for him.  every team has a payroll from ownership, there's only so much salary to go around for the schoops of the world.

2 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Just read in the Athletic that the Tigers are one of only four clubs that ruled against the "final offer" MLB presented to the union. Looks like he is happy to not have baseball. Very disappointing. The others were the Reds, Angels and Arizona.

You mean voted against the proposal that was offered to the Union? How would one know if a team that didn't like it thought it was too good or too bad?

13 hours ago, buddha said:

he's gone full civil war general with that beard.  i expect to hear violins and hear ken burns talking about mystic chords of memory when i see him.

My Dearest Olga,

I regret to write to you that the battle continues.  There had been a raising of spirits heading into the last skirmish, and I was ready to embrace the possibility of the peace pipe.  Alas, ink could not be out to the paper, and the rapscallions retreated to the tree line over the ridge without appropriate compromise.  Our troops remain vigilant in the hopes that surrender is ultimately not ours to offer, but that a reasonable compromise can be attained.

If you could not be bothered to due so, please send a few extra rations of the salted meats.  Pvt Scherzer has taken quite a liking to it.

Cpl Clark, MPLBA Regt

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Just read in the Athletic that the Tigers are one of only four clubs that ruled against the "final offer" MLB presented to the union. Looks like he is happy to not have baseball. Very disappointing. The others were the Reds, Angels and Arizona.

I am sure that Chris wasn’t opposed to adding $10M to the luxury tax cap but just needed more time to figure out how to get the city of Detroit or the State fund to pay for it.   

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, buddha said:

doesn't actually address the question - but the other thing is that why assume that the target of mid market teams that oppose a CBT increase is punishing the players and not the fear it leaves them further behind the opportunity to compete, which has been a point made by Manfred that i think is a fair one even if it's pretty much completely ignored? It goes back to the point that the real effect of changing the CBT upwards is just to allow the Dodgers, BoSOX and Yankees to accumulate more star players at everyone else's expense. It provides no way for mid-market teams to achieve the ability to  pay aggregate salaries up to CBT level.

Edited by gehringer_2

22 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I am sure that Chris wasn’t opposed to adding $10M to the luxury tax cap but just needed more time to figure out how to get the city of Detroit or the State fund to pay for it.   

Especially since he's losing a few of his beloved parking lots....

if anything it hurts guys like schoop.  less money for him.  every team has a payroll from ownership, there's only so much salary to go around for the schoops of the world.

"Hurts" is a relative term.

image.png.da32833a336b80e58a9a8ee4970c520f.png

I guess ultimately these numbers being tossed around are just way outside of my realm of comprehension.  We got a commissioner crying about owning a team being a financial drain rather than a financial investment (that gets to syphon off funds from state/county/city governments either directly or indirectly).  We got players deciding $35M/season ain't enough to play if there's a higher bidder out there.  We got both sides claiming the fans are the top priority, which, sure, OK.

The economics of pro sports is ridiculous.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I can’t believe the players are making the Tigers miss their chance to be good again.

Maybe Isaac Paraedes could float Schoop a loan, since he earned more money in 42 days than most american families make in 2 years.

• Like 1

The only folks I think Manfred really cares about are the gamblers. As for the TV guys, they want the Dodgers, Yankees, BoSox, Giants and maybe the Cubs to always be in the playoffs and win. If collectively they are the Harlem Globetrotters in this morality play, how many Washington Generals do you need? Maybe five at tops.

On 3/1/2022 at 7:10 PM, buddha said:

its good to hear that the league wants to institute pitch clocks by 2023, along with banning the shift and larger bases.

the pitch clock, at least, is a positive sign.  

How about a one and half minute break between innings? Cut into their commercials. That's where the real delay is happening.