LOCKOUT '22: When will we see baseball again?

When will the regular season start?   

47 members have voted

1. 1. When will the regular season start?

• On Time (late March)
    • During April
    • During May
    • During June
    • During July
    • No season in 2022. Go Mud Hens !
    • Fire Ausmus

How does the mechanics of a vote work? I assume previous proposals were voted on by everyone or does the exec community have the ability to not even let it get that far?  If they can "block" it then how did an 0-8 proposal get to the players?  We might be overthinking it.  I mentioned before a good cop/bad cop scenario.  The exec committee is just doing it's job and if they think the deal is still bad they can't in good conscience recommend a vote in favor but at the end of the day the players decide.    It's sort of like an agent to an actor.  THey could say "I don't think you should do the role for the lead in Police Academy 8 that's going to stream on Tubi over a minor role in this new marvel movie" but the actor can't resist the paycheck or other perk they might see.  

• Like 1

No free agents came off the board last night, which makes sense, because that might suggest that teams and players/agents have been in touch during the lockout, which is a (legal?) no-no and would’ve been hard to explain away. We should start seeing movement probably today, right?

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What is the roster breakdown going to be at the start.............11 players, 15 pitchers?     12/14.    There's no way pitchers are going to throw more than 60 pitches in the first month or so..........

There is going to be a 13-pitcher cap on pitchers this year.  I haven't heard whether that will be waived in the first couple of weeks.  

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

There is going to be a 13-pitcher cap on pitchers this year.  I haven't heard whether that will be waived in the first couple of weeks.  

I think teams should be allowed to carry 28 players and 15 pitchers in the first month.     I know guys work out year-round now, but I am really really worried about pitchers, especially young pitchers, like ours.  

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

does that must mean more guys get shuttled back and forth the minors?

yeah, but now we have this limit of call up/send downs that makes that really tricky too.   they have to expand the rosters.  they are asking for trouble.    spring training is going to be three weeks?   how many exhibition games,  10?  

does that must mean more guys get shuttled back and forth the minors?

Probably, although 13 seems sufficient in most situations.  Early this season , they may need more pitchers.  I believe they can call up another player for doubleheaders.  

1 hour ago, oblong said:

How does the mechanics of a vote work? I assume previous proposals were voted on by everyone or does the exec community have the ability to not even let it get that far?  If they can "block" it then how did an 0-8 proposal get to the players?  We might be overthinking it.  I mentioned before a good cop/bad cop scenario.  The exec committee is just doing it's job and if they think the deal is still bad they can't in good conscience recommend a vote in favor but at the end of the day the players decide.    It's sort of like an agent to an actor.  THey could say "I don't think you should do the role for the lead in Police Academy 8 that's going to stream on Tubi over a minor role in this new marvel movie" but the actor can't resist the paycheck or other perk they might see.  

Don't know the rule of the MLBPA but in my experience in other unionized businesses I have been around in strikes that is the normal setup: the executive committee decides whether proposals go to the membership or not. The longer a strike goes on the dynamic will shift and executive committees will face more pressure to submit proposals to the membership they might not approve themselves. Of course the players union is small enough and modern communication good enough that there is really not much excuse for Clark's people to get that far off the sense of their membership. (Back in the day before the internet they used "phone chains" as the informal polling method - for instance there is list distributed in the beginning and when there is news to spread, you get a call and then are supposed to call two other people.....)

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, IdahoBert said:

I had honestly given up and stopped following the news on the CBA and was on the verge of burning my baseball paraphernalia, rubbing the ashes all over my body and walking through the streets shouting “Woe, woe, the End is near!” I’m glad I didn’t do that. 

no doubt, but I think the neighbors would still appreciated it if you take down the effigies of Clark and Manfred hanging in your front yard.... 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Do you watch NBA games?      It's barely noticeable.   I would hope it's a patch on the arm instead of the front of the jersey  

True.  But have they mentioned what the dimensions on the MLB jersey & helmet adverts will be?

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

No free agents came off the board last night, which makes sense, because that might suggest that teams and players/agents have been in touch during the lockout, which is a (legal?) no-no and would’ve been hard to explain away. We should start seeing movement probably today, right?

Collusion.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I like that the playoff system has more incentive for having the best record - division winners with the two best records get byes, third winner has to play in the wild card round.

But it only rewards division winners.  It doesn't reward a situation like last season where the Dodgers won 106 games were seeded worse than the Brewers (90 wins) and the Braves (88 wins) because of geography (Giants, 107 wins).

Seed the teams according to winning percentage.  1 & 2 get byes, 3 vs 6, and 4 vs 5.  Then rerack things for the next round like the NFL does it instead of having the rigid bracket that they are planning on.

I like that the playoff system has more incentive for having the best record - division winners with the two best records get byes, third winner has to play in the wild card round.

Maybe setting things up to go back to 4 divisions.   If they aren't going to emphasize divisional rivalries as much, then why not.   I think you can have 8 teams in one and 7 in the other and be just fine.   There is the idea of expanding, but I can't see any kind of expansion right now until Oakland and Tampa Bay resolve their issues.    I think the A's are headed to Las Vegas (Portland won't support a major league team, plus that city is a total political mess).   The weaker Canadian dollar hurts the chance of Montreal getting a team.   So other than Vegas what do you have?   Nashville, which I think would be a great spot for a team and then it gets pretty thin after that.   The Cardinals and Reds are not going to allow a team in Indianapolis.  Ditto with the Yankees, Mets and Phillies allowing a team in New Jersey.   I don't know how viable Charlotte is and as much as I think Austin, Texas could support a team, the Rangers and Astros will stop it.   I think it's more likely the A's move to Vegas and the Rays move to Nashville than both of those teams staying where they are.   

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

But it only rewards division winners.  It doesn't reward a situation like last season where the Dodgers won 106 games were seeded worse than the Brewers (90 wins) and the Braves (88 wins) because of geography (Giants, 107 wins).

Seed the teams according to winning percentage.  1 & 2 get byes, 3 vs 6, and 4 vs 5.  Then rerack things for the next round like the NFL does it instead of having the rigid bracket that they are planning on.

Well the Dodgers went further than the Giants. 

Plus there is the argument that having a bye might not be a good thing.    We always felt it hurt the 2006 Tigers to be idle so long before the World Series.