NFL Comments for 2024

Training camps are starting.  I think it's fair to start a new thread. 

NFL Coach Hot Seat Rankings

1. Robert Saleh, Jets.    I don't think it's fair and I think he's a good coach, but the second they signed Aaron Rodgers, Robert was on the hot seat.  He'll get another chance.   The Jets are a disgrace. 

2. Dennis Allen,  Saints.    It's a weak division and he seemed an un-inspired choice from the start.    If they hadn't won their last two, he'd be gone already

3. Nick Siriani , Eagles.   My, how quickly we've fallen.   The Eagles crumbled last year and he didn't do himself any favors by making Matt Patricia the defacto DC.   Bad judgement

4. Matt Eberflus, Bears.   He can't blame the QB anymore.  He's got his guy now.   But a rookie QB?   Tough to hitch your star to that after a 10-24 career start and now the Bears actually have expectations

5. Mike McCarthy, Cowboys.    Surprised he's back, but unless the Cowboys are under .500 halfway in (and they won't be), then he won't lose his job, but if they don't win a playoff game, might we see Bill Belichick?   

Bubbling under - Brian Daboll, Giants - but I think he gets a full year no matter what.   Sean McDermott, Bills - seems like it's Super Bowl or Bust.  Kevin Stefanski, Browns - he can't take a big step backwards.  Jonathan Gannon, Cardinals - I don't think he gets much more rope.   Dan Quinn, Commanders - A bad hire. Smells like a potential one-and-done.   

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Training camps are starting.  I think it's fair to start a new thread. 

NFL Coach Hot Seat Rankings

1. Robert Saleh, Jets.    I don't think it's fair and I think he's a good coach, but the second they signed Aaron Rodgers, Robert was on the hot seat.  He'll get another chance.   The Jets are a disgrace. 

2. Dennis Allen,  Saints.    It's a weak division and he seemed an un-inspired choice from the start.    If they hadn't won their last two, he'd be gone already

3. Nick Siriani , Eagles.   My, how quickly we've fallen.   The Eagles crumbled last year and he didn't do himself any favors by making Matt Patricia the defacto DC.   Bad judgement

4. Matt Eberflus, Bears.   He can't blame the QB anymore.  He's got his guy now.   But a rookie QB?   Tough to hitch your star to that after a 10-24 career start and now the Bears actually have expectations

5. Mike McCarthy, Cowboys.    Surprised he's back, but unless the Cowboys are under .500 halfway in (and they won't be), then he won't lose his job, but if they don't win a playoff game, might we see Bill Belichick?   

Bubbling under - Brian Daboll, Giants - but I think he gets a full year no matter what.   Sean McDermott, Bills - seems like it's Super Bowl or Bust.  Kevin Stefanski, Browns - he can't take a big step backwards.  Jonathan Gannon, Cardinals - I don't think he gets much more rope.   Dan Quinn, Commanders - A bad hire. Smells like a potential one-and-done.   

I think the top five is probably right but I would have a different order. I think I’m (1) Eberflus, (2) Allen, (3) McCarthy, (4) Saleh, (5) Sirianni. I think any of the five could be fired mid-season if they are dwindling from contention.

The Bears never fire mid-season, but I think Eberflus is a terrible coach so they’re an exception. If they go below .500 and Williams is developing like he’s the next awful QB in the Bears lineage, Eberflus will be gone.

Allen is not a good coach but they never really gave him a chance by hitching him to Derek Carr. They’ll likely flounder again this year and he’ll be gone if they don’t make the playoffs.

McCarthy is probably gone for anything short of an NFC Championship Game appearance, and the Cowboys are not a top four team in the NFC, so I don’t see that happening. I don’t think it’s Belichick’s landing spot though. Jerry wants a yes man.

Saleh is just hitched to Rodgers for better or worse. They’ve sold their soul to the dude. If he makes a miraculous comeback from an experimental Achilles surgery on the wrong side of 40, Saleh is safe. Otherwise, the divorce from the Rodgers era may not be pretty.

Sirianni might look like a silly addition on this list if the Eagles figure out whatever the heck happened down the stretch last season. To start 10-1 and finish 1-6 with a first round exit is embarrassing. They have the talent to go 14-3 and return to the Super Bowl, so if they fall flat down the stretch again this year he’ll have to answer for it.

I think Giants leadership understands this is a rebuilding year, but they’re going to need to answers and a direction next offseason. If they’re a top three pick I think they’ll go in a different direction than Daboll with the new QB.

I don’t think McDermott’s seat is particularly hot unless they completely collapse or he loses the locker room. He can’t beat the Chiefs but it doesn’t seem like anyone can right now.

Didn’t Stefanski just win COTY?

Gannon I agree. Quinn’s tenure will be defined by Jayden Daniel’s’ development. If he looks like Bryce Young, he could be a one and done.

Speaking of Bryce Young, I would add Dave Canales. Their ownership sucks so bad in Carolina that he might get fired for not making wine from sewage water with the QB situation.

9 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Interesting thread title. 

My comments are the same as always 

**** The Packers

**** The Bears

**** The Vikings

Yes...

But also...

"Lions win the Super Bowl."

I think that's apropos for this year.

And one more "also" concerning the NFL: "Cowboys, go **** yourselves."

That's ALWAYS appropriate.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yes...

But also...

"Lions win the Super Bowl."

I think that's apropos for this year.

And one more "also" concerning the NFL: "Cowboys, go **** yourselves."

That's ALWAYS appropriate.

Can’t wait until Brad Allen gets assigned a game at Ford Field.

We’ve got looooooooooong memories, buddy

33 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Football tonight!

Tyson Bagent v. Davis Mills, just as God intended a Bears v. Texans game to be.

F the Bears all day, every day but you got to like a kid like this.  Definitely the son of an arm wrestling world champion.

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Pulling for the Pattys, bottom feeders now.

I want him to go to which ever team will do better with him. I don't really fear the Browns or the Pats right now, so I'd prefer that the 49ers get a lower pick (as a result of the team he goes to finishing with a better record) in whatever draft picks they're getting back.

I will say that I'm surprised that there are two trade deals worked out (from the 49ers end). This actually gives Aiyuk some leverage with the teams. I don't know if this is common and I've just never heard of it before or if the 49ers are trying to be nice to Aiyuk or what.

1 minute ago, RedRamage said:

I want him to go to which ever team will do better with him. I don't really fear the Browns or the Pats right now, so I'd prefer that the 49ers get a lower pick (as a result of the team he goes to finishing with a better record) in whatever draft picks they're getting back.

I will say that I'm surprised that there are two trade deals worked out (from the 49ers end). This actually gives Aiyuk some leverage with the teams. I don't know if this is common and I've just never heard of it before or if the 49ers are trying to be nice to Aiyuk or what.

Good point. Browns are closer to being a repeat playoff team so have a chance to make that SF pick bottom 10.

Josh Allen, Jordan Love, Patrick Mahomes, and Joe Burrow are all playing today.

I don't get it at all. If they need a quarter to warm up, it should come in September against real action instead of against 3rd string defensive linemen who will be insurance agents in two years. Why bet your entire season on this meaningless nonsense?

For his long-term career, redshirting this year was probably in his best interests anyway. I’m not sure how much he can do the way of working out with the team while he rehabs, but I don’t think this is any kind of death blow to JJ’s career or the Vikings in 2024 (though I never thought they would be good this year). 2024 Sam Darnold was probably better than 2024 JJ anyway.

• Like 1

I really feel for the Vikings organization and fans at this point. Everything that can go wrong has for them. We've been there as Lions fans and experienced the tragic death of a young player in Eric Andolsek and a promising young QB go down for the season in Matthew Stafford. This all really sucks for the Vikings.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I really feel for the Vikings organization and fans at this point. Everything that can go wrong has for them. We've been there as Lions fans and experienced the tragic death of a young player in Eric Andolsek and a promising young QB go down for the season in Matthew Stafford. This all really sucks for the Vikings.

I feel for the players but not for one second do I feel for the Vikings or their loser fans.  **** them.  This makes it easier for two more crucial dubs for the Blue and Silver and that is all that matters to me.    

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I feel for the players but not for one second do I feel for the Vikings or their loser fans.  **** them.  This makes it easier for two more crucial dubs for the Blue and Silver and that is all that matters to me.    

I don't think they felt bad for us the last 50 years. F those guys.

• Like 2