NFL Comments for 2024

2 hours ago, sagnam said:

Anthony Richardson’s 60 yard TD, ball travelled about 70 in the air. And off his back foot. Wild. Still don’t think he’s going to be good.

Link to the video because embedding doesn’t work

Lions once had a guy named Bill Munson - could throw a football through a brick wall. He wasn't very good either. :classic_wink:

19 hours ago, sagnam said:

Anthony Richardson’s 60 yard TD, ball travelled about 70 in the air. And off his back foot. Wild. Still don’t think he’s going to be good.

Link to the video because embedding doesn’t work

I just want him to be good this week... then he can suck after that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/all-eyes-turn-to-tua-tagovailoas-status

His new contract carries more than $167 million in injury guarantees. He’ll give up that money if he chooses to walk away. Nearly all of his $42 million signing bonus could also be forfeited, if he affirmatively decides to retire now.

Edited by sagnam

1 hour ago, sagnam said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/all-eyes-turn-to-tua-tagovailoas-status

His new contract carries more than $167 million in injury guarantees. He’ll give up that money if he chooses to walk away. Nearly all of his $42 million signing bonus could also be forfeited, if he affirmatively decides to retire now.

If he wants to return, he will be able to find a doctor who will clear him.

If he wants to medically retire due to injury, he will definitely be able to find a doctor who will say he needs to retire.

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Does a medical retirement cost against the cap? 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/tua-tagovailoas-contract-has-no-concussion-clauses-exceptions-or-waivers

If Tua retires — after being cleared to play — Tua would lose the balance of the guarantees. Also, if the Dolphins were inclined to exercise their right to recover paid but unearned signing bonus money, they could seek $8.4 million for each year remaining on the contract (through 2028), along with $466,667 for each game left in 2024 after he’s cleared.

The Dolphins meanwhile face the prospect of paying more than $167 million over the next three years, if Tua isn’t cleared to play. The real dollars also become cap dollars that the Dolphins wouldn’t have for other players.

It sets up an awkward dance. In the end, there could be a negotiated compromise, with for example Tua retiring and Miami retaining half of the $167 million.

The Bryce Young benching

See, I think it was the Panthers who screwed up, not Young. 

You took a kid who was totally green and put him on a team with NO weapons and a terrible line.  

How is he going to succeed

This rush to put rookies in at QB right away is foolish.   They usually get drafted by awful teams.   Look how good Sam Darnold looks with an actual decent team around him.     I don't think Zack Wilson was that bad either, but they threw him to the wolves. 

C.J. Stroud is the exception for rookie QBs, but Stroud had a good team around him.    I think Caleb Williams has an okay team around him, but he shouldn't be starting right away.  

I think the Panthers broke this kid.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The Bryce Young benching

See, I think it was the Panthers who screwed up, not Young. 

You took a kid who was totally green and put him on a team with NO weapons and a terrible line.  

How is he going to succeed

This rush to put rookies in at QB right away is foolish.   They usually get drafted by awful teams.   Look how good Sam Darnold looks with an actual decent team around him.     I don't think Zack Wilson was that bad either, but they threw him to the wolves. 

C.J. Stroud is the exception for rookie QBs, but Stroud had a good team around him.    I think Caleb Williams has an okay team around him, but he shouldn't be starting right away.  

I think the Panthers broke this kid.  

Been saying it for years but unless it's an Andrew Luck type QB prospect you should always build your team 1st then take your QB. Carolina not only didn't do that but they gutted their roster the season before drafting him and THEN traded a ton of capital for the rights to him. Just complete negligence. 

Yeah if you build up your team first you probably will have a good enough team where you won't be picking 1st or maybe even in the top 3 but if you have a good supporting cast but are playing a terrible veteran QB chances are you are still going to be losing a ton and still be in position to draft in the top 5-10 where you can still get a premium QB prospect to put with your good cast. 

17 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Been saying it for years but unless it's an Andrew Luck type QB prospect you should always build your team 1st then take your QB. Carolina not only didn't do that but they gutted their roster the season before drafting him and THEN traded a ton of capital for the rights to him. Just complete negligence. 

Yeah, this has all the potential to be a "decade of despair" sort of thing. Whiffing on a high 1st round pick can really hurt your team for a while. But whiffing on a high 1st round pick that you paid heavy future assets to acquire can REALLY damage your production for a long time. At least they should have a high pick for the 2025 draft.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Well, the article says that Belicheck credited Patricia for "helping to build the Lions’ offensive line." If I'm bored sometime maybe I'll actually listen to the podcast, but unlikely. Anyway, the Lions offensive line:

Decker: Drafted by Quinn in '16. At best Patricia can claim to having coached him for 2.5 years. (18, 19, part of 20)
Glasgow: Drafted by Quinn in '16. Patricia allowed him to walk away after coaching him for two years.
Ragnow: Drafted by Quinn in '18. At best Patricia can claim to having coached him for 2.5 years. (18, 19, part of 20)
Zeitler: Obviously no Patricia connection here, but let's sub in Jackson from last year:
Jackson: Drafted by Quinn in '20. At best Patricia can claim to having coached him for half a season.
Sewell: Obviously no Patricia connection here.
OL Coach: Hank Fraley - join the Lions as an assistant OL coach in 18, promoted to head OL coach in '20.

So if we look at the 2023 Lions OL: Patricia, who was supposed to be a defensive guru, can claim to be the head coach for four of those guys. Two of them for 2.5 season, one he left walk away and didn't try to resign, and the four he was head coach of for .5 seasons. He was also the head coach when our current OL coach was hired. To me that's a pretty massive stretch to say that Patricia helped build the OL. 

I don't recall ever hearing even something remotely like Patricia being directly involved in coaching, assisting, mentoring the OL at all. In fact much of the OL probably underperformed when he was HC.

And the super duper dumb thing here is that if Belicheck names a different underling of his, it actually makes sense! If He's said: Quinn was involved in helping build the OL... he'd have been right! Quinn was the one who drafted 4 of the '23 OL.