7/25/24 1:10PM Tigers @ Guardians

This is what the standings looked like after games of July 25, 2023. So the Tigers have a better record this year and are closer to the 3rd wildcard spot, but are further back in the division.

image.png.3a55060d20d29e241b20274503a3d86c.png

Edited by lordstanley

41 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

This is what the standings looked like after games of July 25, 2023. So the Tigers have a better record this year and are closer to the 3rd wildcard spot, but are further back in the division.

image.png.3a55060d20d29e241b20274503a3d86c.png

I still don't get what's going on in Cleveland 

3 minutes ago, Adullin said:

I still don't get what's going on in Cleveland 

Pitching. Their lineup is championship scary but their pitching is borderline playoff. This division really is open to whichever team gets hot. Why not us? Tigers going to be buyers instead of sellers? Stranger things have happened...

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Final note on this completed 4 game series; Colt Keith started and play all 4 games without striking out a single time. Pretty impressive. He's fitting into the 2 hole pretty nicely.

he's starting to do a pretty nice job on the DP turns as well. Not sure what he thought he was doing on the that last fly ball to RF though......

• Thanks 2

2 out of 4 at Cleveland is a good series.  Some semblance of decent hitting and/or fewer mistakes in the 2-1 loss could have had this team at .500 and a better vibe about this team.  Ultimately they need to sell upcoming free agents.  Every decision has a breaking point.

Maybe that game was the thin line between trading/keeping Flaherty would is the most impactful of the possible trade targets not named Skubal.  Maybe Kelly, Canha, and Urshela are still on ebay as they have reasonable replacement options in house.

Or maybe that decision had already been made and that game would have had no impact.

Whichever, considering the withered state of pitching and the offensive struggles that we’ve seen this season, and really even this series as well, a 2 of 4 in Cleveland is a good result.

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

he's starting to do a pretty nice job on the DP turns as well. Not sure what he thought he was doing on the that last fly ball to RF though......

Replay showed Perez calling it until he caught.  I wonder if his voice doesn’t carry or isn’t very audibly effective on the field with the background noise?  We’ve seen this type of play with him before.  I’m not blaming him here or for the others.  I just wonder about the communication out there on the field.

The current and long term viability of Keith at 2B seems questionable.  The same seems to apply to Jung at 3B.  Jung has played some at 2B this season.  If Jung is promoted in September, it seems unfair to swap their positions in Detroit.  But maybe that swap (or some other alteration) occurs during the off-season.

I guess at this point, they’ll get through the trade deadline, see what the upper minors looks like after those dominoes fall, and game plan from there.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

The current and long term viability of Keith at 2B seems questionable

Statcast rates him as average, he's on a 27 game errorless streak (I know, scoring is horrible but it still measures the worst plays), only two of his errors have been on throws.  People are too impatient. I used to complain that the franchise expected too many guys to become better fielders when when they were already a bit long in the tooth and it was going to be difficult but, Colt is going to be 23 next month.  I want to see what he looks like as a fielder next season at this time. (actually I'd really like to see what he would look like back at 3rd if the arm were up to it),

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Statcast rates him as average, he's on a 27 game errorless streak (I know, scoring is horrible but it still measures the worst plays), only two of his errors have been on throws.  People are too impatient. I used to complain that the franchise expected too many guys to become better fielders when when they were already a bit long in the tooth and it was going to be difficult but, Colt is going to be 23 next month.  I want to see what he looks like as a fielder next season at this time. (actually I'd really like to see what he would look like back at 3rd if the arm were up to it),

Fangraphs rates Keith's defense has average to slightly above average. Maybe they use statcast. 

On 7/25/2024 at 3:39 PM, Sports_Freak said:

Pitching. Their lineup is championship scary but their pitching is borderline playoff. This division really is open to whichever team gets hot. Why not us? Tigers going to be buyers instead of sellers? Stranger things have happened...

Indians have been one of the worst hitting teams in baseball for a whole month, and especially in the last two weeks.

With all the injuries the Tigers have, we have nothing to buy for.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Indians have been one of the worst hitting teams in baseball for a whole month, and especially in the last two weeks.

With all the injuries the Tigers have, we have nothing to buy for.

Have they really? Ramirez scares me, he always seems to burn us. I don't think much of his defense though. I knew the Guardians have been struggling but I assumed it was their lack of quality pitchers. My bad...

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I also wonder about Keith at 3B as well.

I thought I’ve heard Jung is better at 2B.  I don’t know if that’s true, I don’t know if the theory of swapping them has legitimacy to it.

I think if Jung is promoted and they’re on the IF at the same time, just keep going with status quo to finish this season.  Just let them get this bit of MLB under their belts, continue this season with their respective defensive responsibilities, let their bats be the focus of their development this season.  If altering them is in the cards, let them integrate some of that individual off-season prep into their upcoming winters, and start that teamwork in spring training.  And maybe it’s not that big of a deal for either anyway as they do have experience around the diamond.

28 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Have they really? Ramirez scares me, he always seems to burn us. I don't think much of his defense though. I knew the Guardians have been struggling but I assumed it was their lack of quality pitchers. My bad...

You are right in that they've been one of the best hitting teams in baseball for the whole season, it's just lately they're flailing.