Stupid Tiger management.

Carson Kelly is gone, so Dingler could be brought up from Toledo.  Better to have kept him and  sent Rogers down to Toledo.  Kelly was a better hitter and a better catcher.  Rogers has struck out in his last 8 at bats (what a loser).  Now, I fully expect the tTigers to trade Flaherty. 

They also need to dump Baez and McKinstry.  Neither can hit worth a damn.  Baez being the worst of the two. 

They piss and moan about having Bull Pen starts.  And yet they will flirt with giving away a young talented pitcher. But what does management care?  Illitch is not concerned with providing a winning team for Tigers fans.  His only concern  is sellitng his lousey, poor mans pizza.  Harris, Hinch and greemberg are morons.  They apparently don't care about producing a winning team.  

40 years since a World Series win.  But in 1984 the Tiger had a good manager and only losers since then  

32 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

Yeah it's been a rough decade, but hopefully things turn around in the next couple of years. If you have no hope, whats the point? Follow another team.

It is tough to follow an owner who doesn't give a flying bleep and bleeds the city for every dollar he can get, but I just can't follow another team.  In the 90s when they sucked the whole decade and up until 2005 or whatever I just didn't follow baseball at all.

I like watching Skubal and Flaherty pitch, and if they trade them, I will just not care about this team anymore.

So I might just not pay attention until they actually try putting a winner out there.  

I think there are a lot of fans who feel like this.

Well, attendance last night was a bit over 18,000, not impressive but I think the optimism for 2024  is drying up fast. But again, get your deposit in ASAP for the Exclusive seats behind the plate for 2025. 

1 hour ago, Rob Miller said:

Carson Kelly is gone, so Dingler could be brought up from Toledo.  Better to have kept him and  sent Rogers down to Toledo.  Kelly was a better hitter and a better catcher.  Rogers has struck out in his last 8 at bats (what a loser).  Now, I fully expect the tTigers to trade Flaherty. 

They also need to dump Baez and McKinstry.  Neither can hit worth a damn.  Baez being the worst of the two. 

They piss and moan about having Bull Pen starts.  And yet they will flirt with giving away a young talented pitcher. But what does management care?  Illitch is not concerned with providing a winning team for Tigers fans.  His only concern  is sellitng his lousey, poor mans pizza.  Harris, Hinch and greemberg are morons.  They apparently don't care about producing a winning team.  

40 years since a World Series win.  But in 1984 the Tiger had a good manager and only losers since then  

I love that stuff.... Crazy stuffed crust Pepp and a Deep Dish 3 meat almost every other weekend...... Sheeeesh

On 7/30/2024 at 1:07 PM, Rob Miller said:

Grapes? Is that you??

On 7/30/2024 at 1:49 PM, tiger2022 said:

It is tough to follow an owner who doesn't give a flying bleep and bleeds the city for every dollar he can get, but I just can't follow another team.  In the 90s when they sucked the whole decade and up until 2005 or whatever I just didn't follow baseball at all.

I like watching Skubal and Flaherty pitch, and if they trade them, I will just not care about this team anymore.

So I might just not pay attention until they actually try putting a winner out there.  

I think there are a lot of fans who feel like this.

No way. Shocking fans like winners.

• 1 month later...

Regarding Avila vs Harris I am willing to concede that Al helped build a foundation that allowed Harris to get a jump start to implement his plan.  I recall when Ausmus left he talked about them finally putting in systems that other orgs had but it would still take time to see results. Referring to data lakes and that kind or technology.  That’s not done overnight.  Of course you have to take the next step and execute and get the right people to do that. Harris didn’t, in fact couldn’t, turn this around in the 2 years he’s been here without players and systems Avila brought in.  It doesn’t mean Avila shouldn’t have been let go.  There wasnt a need for him.  You don’t bring in a new POBO yet keep the previous guy around.  Two things can be true.  Avila wasn’t as horrible as he is portrayed sometimes but Harris made a big difference.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, oblong said:

Two things can be true.  Avila wasn’t as horrible as he is portrayed sometimes but Harris made a big difference.  

I think you might be giving Avila too much credit personally, but only a little too much. I think many people look at Avila as getting and "F" grade and without trying too hard to put words in your mouth you're maybe giving him a C or C- minus grade... certainly not good enough, but not a complete failure either.

Personally I'd give Avila a D or D-. I fully get that he had somethings working against him in terms of a depleted farm system and Chris taking over (with tighter purse strings), but I feel like even with the limited resources he had he didn't nothing. Looking at his trade history (https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/03/gm-trade-history-tigers-al-avila.html) there is ONE person who is still on the roster: Jake Rodgers. (To be fair, there is also one other person who would've been on the roster most likely, had Harris not traded him: Paredes.) Otherwise the trade results have been just bit player after bust after bit player. No one even remotely special acquired from trades. Even Rodgers is "meh" at best.

Now in drafting Avila did better... how much of that was because he was consistently picking high is hard to say, but even in drafting he hasn't been phenomenal. 

2016: Matt Manning - Jury is still out. Kyle Funkhouser - decent reliever at times.
2017: Alex Faedo - decent, I guess. Will Vest - Good reliever
2018: Mize - Good when not injuried, Parker Meadows - Looks top be a super star, Kody Clemens... meh. Skubal... super star.
2019: Greene - Good to great player, but has issues staying healthy. Still a good pick. Lipcius.. meh. Kreidler... meh. Carpenter - A good pick and 19th round at that. Brieske... looks to be a good player.
2020: Tork - Jury is still out, but not looking good. Dingler... jury is still out. Keith, looks to be a star.
2021: Jobe - jury is still out, but leaning towards being a star. Madden... looks decent. Hurder... looks good.
2022: Jung - jury is still out.

So in seven years of drafting by my count Avila has 6 very good picks with at least 6 more that have looked decent or good at times and a few others that it's too early to tell for sure on. I don't claim to be an expert on draft analysis... I can't honestly say if this is good or not based on what we normally see out of the league, but it doesn't feel like it's been solid draft after solid draft. It just feels like he's done okay drafting with a few excellent picks.

So in the end it comes down to the behind the scenes stuff. How much was stuff put in place by Avila? How much of it was his wanting it vs. "everyone else is doing it, so I guess we should too."? Unless he was revolutionary in building up the organization in terms of how they scouted, developed, and built their team I can't view Avila as anything other than a D-level GM during his Tigers tenure.

I'll add that I don't think it's fair to judge drafts yet because Harris was only here for 2 drafts, and one of them was 4 months ago.

Avila had 7 years so it's fair to assign a D grade.  My analysis is more towards how much credit do you give him for what the team is doing today?  I can't say that it's zero.  Does he get a "good" grade?  No because you don't get good marks for doing what you are supposed to do.  I'd argue he brought the org, at best, up to the minimum standard an org should be at in terms of foundation and infrastructure.  And probably a lot of people could have done that.  But he did so he gets the credit. You hire people who've been around who tell you what tools and systems are out there, then you hire people to build them.  He hired Hinch, Fetter, and Garko.  That should mean something.

I’m too lazy to do the analysis, but I think evaluating draft performance requires looking at the missed picks—the players you passed on relative to where you picked.  Who did the Tigers pass to select Manning, Mize, Tork, etc…

As has been previously discussed, it would be disingenuous to second guess the Mize and Tork selections—they were the consensus guys at 1:1.  We just got unlucky.

I think Avila’s drafts were good, in general. I’d give him a B/B-.  His flaws were in the free agent signings and trades, especially when we started unloading salaries upon entering the tank phase of our rebuild.