2024 - 2025 Detroit Tigers Offseason

Now that the trade deadline is over, the next big thing is the offseason. Figured I'd get a head start. 

Here's the FA List: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/04/2024-25-mlb-free-agents.html

Time to go get Juan Soto and Corbin Burnes 😏

Seriously though, I'd like a reunion of Flaherty along with Walker Beuhler. That'd be solid. 

Chapman would be a good add or even go after Pete Alonso. 

7 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I'd like a reunion of Flaherty

Tiger best case scenario is he gets to the Dodgers, their coaches don't speak any of the dialects he's been working with in Detroit, he struggles some and so can't wait to get back here. Well, we can dream....

• Haha 1

Is it time for some multi-season contracts or do we keep grabbing short-term help that have potential to flip if we tank?  I hate long-term ones unless they are extensions like Keith's.  Aside from 2b the whole infield needs help.  Two years ago who would have thought the Tigers would rank last or near the bottom at SS and 1b.  Jung hopefully will be this year's Keith.   

Can you explain why Flaherty and Buehler would sign here?  

I suspect Ilitch wants to keep salary low and wouldn't want to hand out long term contracts to pitchers.  I am guessing Flaherty is not going to want a one year deal.  And they will probably have better options with teams that have chances of making the playoffs. 

Alonso is going to want a big contract with lots of years...can't see Ilitch spending money.

I'm thinking if they sign guys it will be someone who had a really down year or someone who won't make much of an impact (Canha, Urshula).

SS help is probably not come through free agency. Kim or Adames would cost 20-25M per year, and that's about $50M for the position when you include Baez, probably about half the 2025 payroll.

So Harris is going to slow roll it with Sweeney + Baez, or else he needs to make a trade.

26 minutes ago, Arlington said:

Is it time for some multi-season contracts or do we keep grabbing short-term help that have potential to flip if we tank?  I hate long-term ones unless they are extensions like Keith's.  Aside from 2b the whole infield needs help.  Two years ago who would have thought the Tigers would rank last or near the bottom at SS and 1b.  Jung hopefully will be this year's Keith.   

I think they need to bring in some veterans to build around. 3-6 year contracts should be on the table this offseason. At least I hope. I said in the other thread, our last run started when we got credibility signing Pudge which led to Ordonez signing. We need to do the same thing. 

I think Harris is going to keep Jung and Jobe in the minors with the hopes that one or both can break camp next season. It'd net us another 1st round pick if either wins ROY which both have the potential for. (Much moreso Jobe than Jung but ya never know). 

26 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Dream acquisitions:
I am taking Soto off the table. He won't come to Detroit. 

1B: Walker or Alonso (Tork is probably not the answer.)
SS: Ha-Seong Kim 
SP: Walker Buehler or Shane Bieber and a project SP. 

Harris has said that the Tigers will spend when they're close to winning. To me it sounds like they'll sign 2 or 3 players to get them over the top. But I think most of us agree that we're not close to that yet? Another year or 2 of evaluating what we have and what we may need. Another off-season of 1 year Canhas and Urshelas. 

Regarding Pudge leading to Magglio, Ordóñez had an injured knee and chose non-traditional treatment for it. The Tigers were willing to invest in what was no sure thing. Turned out great, but at the time it was risky. Also, Viña wants to get credit 🤭 for being the “star” that opened the path for others to come to Detroit. 

So, yes, sign some vets, take some risks, but past is not prologue.

Edited by Dan Gilmore
Typo

5 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

Ordóñez had an injured knee and chose non-traditional treatment for it....

The Sox acquired Jermaine Dye and decided Magglio was 'being difficult' so let him walk. It turned out well for the Tigers and for that matter Dye gave the Sox only one less good year than Magglio give Detroit, so one of the few moves for the Sox in recent years that didn't go completely to ashes.....:classic_laugh:

6 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

Can you explain why Flaherty and Buehler would sign here?  

I suspect Ilitch wants to keep salary low and wouldn't want to hand out long term contracts to pitchers.  I am guessing Flaherty is not going to want a one year deal.  And they will probably have better options with teams that have chances of making the playoffs. 

Alonso is going to want a big contract with lots of years...can't see Ilitch spending money.

I'm thinking if they sign guys it will be someone who had a really down year or someone who won't make much of an impact (Canha, Urshula).

Didn't he sign one of the top pitchers a few seasons back to a $75 million five year deal?

I remember that Zimmermann disaster like it was yesterday. Avila jumped all over that one. Al had a knack for creating disastrous contracts. His signature signing was Javy Baez. One for the road.

7 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Harris has said that the Tigers will spend when they're close to winning. To me it sounds like they'll sign 2 or 3 players to get them over the top. But I think most of us agree that we're not close to that yet? Another year or 2 of evaluating what we have and what we may need. Another off-season of 1 year Canhas and Urshelas. 

I look at 2025 as another transition/ evaluation year.

But one with a "serious" chance of making a playoff push. Again... that "seriousness" is 99% dependent on the kids, again. Meaning Olson, Jobe, Montero/ Mize, Jung, Meadows (if he can both get back to MLB standards as well as stay healthy), Greene & Carpenter (health), Keith/ Malloy/ Dingler/ Perez avoiding "sophomore slumps". Plus any others I haven't already mentioned.

A lot of talent. But still going through a lot of growing pains and there's little certainty there. Especially positionally. Harris is NOT going to block any position, until all the positions with these kids are settled to the point of "revealing" a weakness that actually needs to be filled with an expensive FA. Nothing is settled right now, except maybe Catcher and DH.

We're not spending big this winter. Not because Harris/ Ilitch are unwilling to spend money... but rather, just too much uncertainty yet to take the big plunge. The only big $$$ I'd like to see spent is on the most premium Closer we can get our hands on. We don't have a premium closer. Adding one pushes Foley and & Lange down a notch, as well as everyone else. Meaning, one step down the ladder to easier jobs for all/most. And.. then we'd have a shutdown guy that doesn't give us late inning losses.

Other than closer, I expect a couple of Flaherty/ Urshela signings.

IE: We're not going to sign a 5-year SS to replace Baez. Why would we? Harris is not going to block McGonigle (A+, estimated ETA 2026-27), or the 1st rounder that we just drafted (Rainer, rough ETA 2027-28) with a 5-year FA. 

Sorry.

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Other than closer, I expect a couple of Flaherty/ Urshela signings.

IE: We're not going to sign a 5-year SS to replace Baez. Why would we? Harris is not going to block McGonigle (A+, estimated ETA 2026-27), or the 1st rounder that we just drafted (Rainer, rough ETA 2027-28) with a 5-year FA. 

Sorry.

Realistic odds of any A ball player making the majors? He's too far away for him factor into team roster decisions. Assemble your team based on your A ball players and I guarantee we'll still be waiting for a winner in 2045.

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Realistic odds of any A ball player making the majors? He's too far away for him factor into team roster decisions. Assemble your team based on your A ball players and I guarantee we'll still be waiting for a winner in 2045.

I'm not interested in your odds. And neither is Harris.

Off-season priorities as I see them:

1.) Everyone being healthy.   

2.) Add pitching: 2 Starters, 2 relievers.  RPs should ideally be high leverage type.  Ideally get one high level starter and one short contract bounce back guy a la Flaherty.

3.) Reps for either Keith or Jung at 1B as a contingency plan for Torkelson during offseason and spring.  Maybe platoon Tork if he hasn’t progressed offensively.

4.) Move on from the following players:  Wentz, McKinstry, one of Brieske/Faedo.

A healthy 26 man roster of:

C- Rogers/Dingler

1B- Tork/Keith

2B- Keith/Jung

SS- Baez/Sweeney

3B- Vierling/Jung

LF- Greene/Vierling

CF- Meadows/Perez

RF- Carpenter/Perez

DH- Malloy/Greene/Carpenter

That’s an acceptable offense (minus Baez) if it’s healthy.  Don’t really see a reason to need to add to it.  If you’re going to platoon this lineup, do it properly.

SP- Skubal/Olson/FA/FA/Mize

RP- Holton/Maeda/Vest/Foley/Brieske or Faedo/one of Miller-Vanasco-Lange, FA/FA

Would be nice if we could pencil in Manning somewhere in there but we will see.

Montero/Sammons/SGL/Lockhart/Jobe/Madden at Toledo is acceptable depth in the rotation.  Hopefully SGL and Jobe can force their way up but give it time.

Not spending a ton of money, and Maeda would be off the books after this season also.  Since we sold this year, play the young guys the rest of this year and next year—don’t pepper in more Canhas and Gios.

Edited by monkeytargets39

5 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Off-season priorities as I see them:

1.) Everyone being healthy.   

2.) Add pitching: 2 Starters, 2 relievers.  RPs should ideally be high leverage type.  Ideally get one high level starter and one short contract bounce back guy a la Flaherty.

3.) Reps for either Keith or Jung at 1B as a contingency plan for Torkelson during offseason and spring.  Maybe platoon Tork if he hasn’t progressed offensively.

4.) Move on from the following players:  Wentz, McKinstry, one of Brieske/Faedo.

A healthy 26 man roster of:

C- Rogers/Dingler

1B- Tork/Keith

2B- Keith/Jung

SS- Baez/Sweeney

3B- Vierling/Jung

LF- Greene/Vierling

CF- Meadows/Perez

RF- Carpenter/Perez

DH- Malloy/Greene/Carpenter

That’s an acceptable offense (minus Baez) if it’s healthy.  Don’t really see a reason to need to add to it.  If you’re going to platoon this lineup, do it properly.

SP- Skubal/Olson/FA/FA/Mize

RP- Holton/Maeda/Vest/Foley/Brieske or Faedo/one of Miller-Vanasco-Lange, FA/FA

Would be nice if we could pencil in Manning somewhere in there but we will see.

Montero/Sammons/SGL/Lockhart/Jobe/Madden at Toledo is acceptable depth in the rotation.  Hopefully SGL and Jobe can force their way up but give it time.

Not spending a ton of money, and Maeda would be off the books after this season also.  Since we sold this year, play the young guys the rest of this year and next year—don’t pepper in more Canhas and Gios.

I agree with this approach. If health holds the offense could be decent, although I wouldn’t be opposed to a 2-year deal for Walker at 1B. Completely agree with your roster strategy for the pitching staff. Will need to spend to shore up the pitching.