2024 - 2025 Detroit Tigers Offseason

2 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

A competitive team wouldn't have the amount of question marks the Tigers did entering this season. They answered a lot of questions on players this year and still have time to answer more. Then we'll see what happens in the offseason. Does Harris add proven players or not?

We have a pretty good idea about most of these guys at this point. I'm sure there will be some of them being evaluated next year but the majority will be expected to perform. I think it's time to compete next year or Harris should have traded Skubal.

This pitching staff needs a complete overhaul this offseason before we are going to compete.  There is just no consistency with the pen and with the non Olson/Skubal starters

11 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

This pitching staff needs a complete overhaul this offseason before we are going to compete.  There is just no consistency with the pen and with the non Olson/Skubal starters

I don't think we're going to see a complete overhaul. They have over 20 pitchers on the 40 man roster. I could see signing a starter and a closer and then the best 11 other guys make the team.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I don't think we're going to see a complete overhaul. They have over 20 pitchers on the 40 man roster. I could see signing a starter and a closer and then the best 11 other guys make the team.

I would point out that the fact that we aren't going to see doesn't actually argue it isn't needed.....🤔

26 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I would point out that the fact that we aren't going to see doesn't actually argue it isn't needed.....🤔

Emotions are high after the deadline and giving up nine runs. Chafin and Flaherty were big contributors but that's why I said add a starter and closer. Overall their staff has been middle of the pack this year.

1 minute ago, tiger2022 said:

1-5 since the firesale.  

Lots more pain coming down the pike.

Might get better as our major leaguers start to come back to the active roster.

But in a season of non-playoffs, I don’t really care how many games they win.  Not looking to tank, but will be OK with the better pick/draft pool if it comes to that.  Drafting seems to be a strength of the current regime.

2 hours ago, papalawrence said:

Right now they have 8th worst record. Have a hunch Toronto will pass them up and they'll be 7th or perhaps worse. Really sucks that once again I start thinking mostly about the draft pick. I have rebuild fatigue. 

It won't be going away.  They have a big hole in the bullpen, need at least 3 more reliable starters, Skubal will be traded away by the trade deadline next season, and there doesn't appear to be a lot in the upper minors to help.  And of course, they won't spend until they are close. 

They aren't close.

15 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

No faith in Carpenter? 

I’d been on the fence about Carpenter, although I started warming up to the idea he might be good for a few years. Not sure how his back injury will affect his hitting going forward, but we’ll see.

Even give three primary bats, will a couple secondary bats be enough to turn this team as otherwise currently-constructed into a playoff contender? I don’t know, maybe. Some in-house options would have to take a substantial step forward at the plate, not the least of which would be Tork, but also, Meadows and Dingler. I think the typical playoff team needs at least six above average bats (let’s say at least 105 wRC+) regularly in the lineup, and a couple more on the bench. We won’t get that from the top of the free agency pool, because they won’t come to Detroit next year, so it would have to be someone in the bottom of the pool we can flip into an above average hitter, or a trade from the system which, given our lack of depth there, would have to come from the bone, and I don’t know who that would be.

I think a team can make the playoffs with 3 good starters, a good bullpen, decent defense, and an even slightly below offense.

Of course, those pitchers need to stay healthy.

I thought Skubal, Flaherty, and Olsen made up the 3 starters.  Mize is serviceable.  But you really need at least 3 or even four guys, probably up and coming arms, that can step up when injuries happen.

With Carpenter, Torkelson, Baez, Verling, Canha, Greene, Urshela, and even Rogers (home run hitter) it seemed the offense might be just good enough to make the Tigers contenders.  Other than Greene, who got injured and Vierling those guys didn't produce much.

Urshela and Baez are a big plus on defense.

But I don't see how the offense can be remotely even average next season since they probably won't sign anyone other than the blue light specials. 

Skubal isn't going to want to stay here. I can't imagine he is happy with the direction the team is going.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Boras doesn't quietly put pressure on the organization to trade him in the offseason.  I know people salivate over prospects but giving up a premier talent for question marks who probably won't be impact players isn't helping the franchise.

It seems like they are putting all their eggs in high school kids they drafted the last 2 years.  They won't be ready for at least 4 years.

But at least Ilitch is making money, so that's all that really matters.

Harris will not spend money this off season. A lot could be solved with a real third baseman though.

In my mind , he has made it very clear that he is not signing anything of importance during t h e off season. We will get our reclamation pitchers that will be refurbished to flip, but that is it.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I’d been on the fence about Carpenter, although I started warming up to the idea he might be good for a few years. Not sure how his back injury will affect his hitting going forward, but we’ll see.

Even give three primary bats, will a couple secondary bats be enough to turn this team as otherwise currently-constructed into a playoff contender? I don’t know, maybe. Some in-house options would have to take a substantial step forward at the plate, not the least of which would be Tork, but also, Meadows and Dingler. I think the typical playoff team needs at least six above average bats (let’s say at least 105 wRC+) regularly in the lineup, and a couple more on the bench. We won’t get that from the top of the free agency pool, because they won’t come to Detroit next year, so it would have to be someone in the bottom of the pool we can flip into an above average hitter, or a trade from the system which, given our lack of depth there, would have to come from the bone, and I don’t know who that would be.

I’ll feel a lot better about the offense if Dingler, JHM and Meadows can have solid finishes to this season.  

24 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

Harris will not spend money this off season. A lot could be solved with a real third baseman though.

In my mind , he has made it very clear that he is not signing anything of importance during t h e off season. We will get our reclamation pitchers that will be refurbished to flip, but that is it.

Not sure we have to fix everything through free agency.  Agree we need to upgrade, but think it could happen via trade.  We have to be willing to deal from our minor league depth when appropriate.

As a GM, I would be a bit leary of handing out 6+ year contracts.  Those don’t seem to age well.

11 hours ago, papalawrence said:

Right now they have 8th worst record. Have a hunch Toronto will pass them up and they'll be 7th or perhaps worse. Really sucks that once again I start thinking mostly about the draft pick. I have rebuild fatigue. 

because Oak and CWS cannot pick in top 9, Tigers are actually 6th worst right now; won't "catch" Miami or Colo, but could finish with 3rd worst record as pitching crumbles; and that's a few more percentage points to land in top 6; what a horrible franchise

3 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

because Oak and CWS cannot pick in top 9, Tigers are actually 6th worst right now; won't "catch" Miami or Colo, but could finish with 3rd worst record as pitching crumbles; and that's a few more percentage points to land in top 6; what a horrible franchise

IMG_1831.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

We don't need to trade Skubal to get Holliday...if we can get to the top of the draft, we can draft his brother..or Jace Laviolette

Jace Laviolette?  I'm sorry, but that name doesn't work.  

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Not sure we have to fix everything through free agency.  Agree we need to upgrade, but think it could happen via trade.  We have to be willing to deal from our minor league depth when appropriate.

As a GM, I would be a bit leary of handing out 6+ year contracts.  Those don’t seem to age well.

I think that there may be options that don't require 6 year contracts to some 31 year old, although it does seem like that is the norm for free agency.

I want them to get a competent 3rd baseman, with the idea of moving Keith to first and Jung at second, with Tork being primarily a DH assuming he comes back next year.

4 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Bottom quadrant for far too long.

Comtemplating writing a book of haiku to describe life as a Detroit sports fan over the past decade

• Like 1

“I don’t talk about this much,” he told reporters after his ceremony, “because I don’t want to preach patience anymore to the fans. I’m sick of hearing the word patience in a lot of different areas, and I understand the fans are, too. But one thing I will tell you: If you trust my judgment as a baseball man, and I hope you do, there are a lot of good ingredients for a great cake here. I truly believe that.

“The ingredients are here to make a great cake.” - Jim Leyland 

18 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

I think that there may be options that don't require 6 year contracts to some 31 year old, although it does seem like that is the norm for free agency.

I want them to get a competent 3rd baseman, with the idea of moving Keith to first and Jung at second, with Tork being primarily a DH assuming he comes back next year.

How about a six year contract to a 29-year-old? 😉 

Still waiting for Harris's "calculated risk ". I think we are in good hands with Harris but he needs to press the gas harder all the same. I agree with Leyland "I am also sick about hearing the word patience ". Asking fans to be "patient" is a cop out. It's like asking for a free pass. Sorry kid this is a 120 + year old franchise and we are the owners and you work for us and we're tired of the SUCK.