2024 - 2025 Detroit Tigers Offseason

8 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

If they can play major league games in Jarry Park, they can play them in a 27,000 seat football stadium.  Jarry Park is definitely the coolest park I have been to.  

Hold on, you went to Jarry Park when it was the baseball stadium?  Maybe they played there longer than I think they did.  Ok, 1976.  Duh.  They moved to Stade Olympique after the Olympics.

39 minutes ago, casimir said:

Hold on, you went to Jarry Park when it was the baseball stadium?  Maybe they played there longer than I think they did.  Ok, 1976.  Duh.  They moved to Stade Olympique after the Olympics.

I think I went there around 1970. It was my first of many trips to Montreal with my dad.  

• Like 2

So at Comerica Park they’re putting in all new grass and new seats, and behind home plate an upscale club for the elite. I haven’t read that there are any plans to change the dimensions of the ballpark though.

The stupid Google AI that was the first thing Google gave me when I searched doesn’t understand sequential time scales and reported that the changes to the outfield fence that were made in 2023 were being made for 2025.

I hope this isn’t the same AI that will drive our cars and solve all our problems for us. It doesn’t even understand the basic mechanics of time when it’s researching data. 

15 hours ago, chasfh said:

I'm not saying they wouldn't benefit from going after a guy like Bregman. They would, at least next year. Most teams would. I'm saying I'd be surprised if this version of the Tigers made that move. I'd also be surprised to see him leave Houston.

I also don't know if he'll want to leave Houston.  If he is available, I think he is the most likely expensive free agent they would pursue since he is a good fit at a position of need and has a history with Hinch.    

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I also don't know if he'll want to leave Houston.  If he is available, I think he is the most likely expensive free agent they would pursue since he is a good fit at a position of need and has a history with Hinch.    

Jose Altuve, Houston’s cheating answer to Barry Bonds, has made it sternly clear that he expects the Astros to keep Bregman in the fold.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

So at Comerica Park they’re putting in all new grass and new seats, and behind home plate an upscale club for the elite. I haven’t read that there are any plans to change the dimensions of the ballpark though.

The stupid Google AI that was the first thing Google gave me when I searched doesn’t understand sequential time scales and reported that the changes to the outfield fence that were made in 2023 were being made for 2025.

I hope this isn’t the same AI that will drive our cars and solve all our problems for us. It doesn’t even understand the basic mechanics of time when it’s researching data. 

Not to mention that each one of those non-sequitor responses likely evaporated a quantity of kW equivalent to a mature oak tree. 

Edited by gehringer_2

I am so wary of a long-term contract.  Miggy hurt the team for years and it was only during the last season that they started to take him down from his pedestal. It really seemed like we would not be able to win as long as Miggy was on the roster. 

I am also wary of a seasoned vet coming in and showing everyone how to "win".  This team is figuring it out from their perspective and they are creating it together.  Worried that some experienced winner might put a damper on that. A Bregman might influence them with the Houston way or something like that. 

That said, Harris did talk about one of the values of Vierling's flexibility is that he would have a position if they brought in someone at 3b.  That indicated to me that he was thinking of upgrading the position.  I'd rather see them get someone who could upgrade the team but be vulnerable to someone pushing their way up.  With a great farm system you can trade productive ML players for good prospects because another prospect is coming up, reloading the system.  You can also obtain a star player for giving up prospects but I suspect that Harris would be looking for someone with more future than past. 

DD was in the habit of emptying the system to pull in top players to keep the team in contention and he has produced results everywhere doing that but he also had huge downsides.  Harris seems to be more organic, grow the system, control the players coming into the game. It is notable that we had no FAs on the playoff rosters.  Not sure when the last time that occurred. 

• Like 1

I’m fine with other teams signing 30+ year-olds to huge long term contracts. It’s the equivalent of sending geriatrics up in the Hindenburg, as far as I’m concerned.

Heck, we have young guys who are constantly hurting themselves anyway thanks to too much strength training or whatever. Let those other teams lose their souls. 

Just to play Devils advocate for a minute - The counter point to going after Bregman is that you have a 3 WAR player in Vierling who may not have a place to play if Carpenter, Meadows and Greene stay healthy or Wenceel improves a little more or AHM locks down DH.

Now granted, Vierling's D in the OF is plus while his play at 3rd is maybe average at best, but even given that, how much are you willing to commit for an upgrade that may be not be that big (WAR wise, Bregman was 4.1 last season, Vierling 2.9) if it turns out he's replacing Vierling instead of Jung?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

All companies start to suck when they get too big.  Google was a great company until it got too greedy.  Amazon is still going strong, but it will get there some day too.  

Amazon is getting there fast. They have really gotten into pushing what they want you to buy and from whom, instead of presenting all the options and letting the customer choosing the best deal.

12 minutes ago, Arlington said:

Amazon is getting there fast. They have really gotten into pushing what they want you to buy and from whom, instead of presenting all the options and letting the customer choosing the best deal.

Yeah, I've noticed that.  I generally assume that their preferred product is ****.