2024 - 2025 Detroit Tigers Offseason

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Just to play Devils advocate for a minute - The counter point to going after Bregman is that you have a 3 WAR player in Vierling who may not have a place to play if Carpenter, Meadows and Greene stay healthy or Wenceel improves a little more or AHM locks down DH.

Now granted, Vierling's D in the OF is plus while his play at 3rd is maybe average at best, but even given that, how much are you willing to commit for an upgrade that may be not be that big (WAR wise, Bregman was 4.1 last season, Vierling 2.9) if it turns out he's replacing Vierling instead of Jung?

Totally agree.  And their trajectories are in opposite directions.  That 1.2 difference in WAR probably will be less of a difference in 2025 and even moreso in 2026.  Seems emphasis is on 3b but the least productive spot is 1b.  It's being held for Tork for the time being but it would be ideal to get a right handed hitter with power and the ability to get from 1st to 3rd who can play multiple positions including 1st if Tork can't pull it together.  That sounds more like a trade than FA.

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Just to play Devils advocate for a minute - The counter point to going after Bregman is that you have a 3 WAR player in Vierling who may not have a place to play if Carpenter, Meadows and Greene stay healthy or Wenceel improves a little more or AHM locks down DH.

Now granted, Vierling's D in the OF is plus while his play at 3rd is maybe average at best, but even given that, how much are you willing to commit for an upgrade that may be not be that big (WAR wise, Bregman was 4.1 last season, Vierling 2.9) if it turns out he's replacing Vierling instead of Jung?

I get what you are saying. I don’t want Carpenters glove in the outfield. Not just because he’s a below average fielder but because I want to keep him healthy which he hasn’t done, so he’s my primary DH. So that’s put Vierling as the starter in RF for me. Bregman is who I want at 3rd or to trade some package of players/prospects to get someone that plays good defense and has a good bat there. I think Jung/Manning plus more package could be very intriguing for someone trying to rebuild. 

I always saw Vierling's value as his versatility.  You don't neglect to fill a regular spot b/c you have Vierling but you have Vierling around to fill those holes that always pop up, either through injury, slumps, or days off.  4 days a week you'll need to fill one of those.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Trade Rumors moved these behind paywall; but these were interesting when they were free

they have McKinstry as possible non-tender; I don't see that

trigger warning for someone who might care about accurate service time, they have both Lange and Baddoo at 3.003

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/10/offseason-outlook-detroit-tigers-14.html

4 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Trade Rumors moved these behind paywall; but these were interesting when they were free

trigger warning for someone who might care about accurate service time, they have both Lange and Baddoo at 3.003

That someone already dove in the comments.

2 hours ago, kdog said:

Commenting on something like this is way above my pay grade. But I’m assuming this is some sort of improvement although I have no direct knowledge of the context within which this is all unfolding. The fact that people want to join the Tigers is good. The fact that Detroit is a destination is good. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nate7474 said:

I get what you are saying. I don’t want Carpenters glove in the outfield. Not just because he’s a below average fielder but because I want to keep him healthy which he hasn’t done, so he’s my primary DH. So that’s put Vierling as the starter in RF for me. Bregman is who I want at 3rd or to trade some package of players/prospects to get someone that plays good defense and has a good bat there. I think Jung/Manning plus more package could be very intriguing for someone trying to rebuild. 

I don’t think we should have a primary DH until at least six other positions have been totally solved, that is, manned by full-time reliable guys. I think we’re getting closer. Right now I believe first base, third base, shortstop, and right field are still unsolved, and catcher is basically half-solved. So we still need DH open to work guys who are slotting in and out of those other positions to keep their bats fresh. But I think once we close up at least 2-1/2 of those positions, then we can entertain employing a full-time DH.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

I could be talked into a subscription to this. We have gotten years and years of valuable free info from TR, so I don’t begrudge them wanting to monetize their USP. It’s only thirty bucks for a year. I have more than that sitting around unused in Apple Pay and Venmo accounts.

The main thing I hope they don’t do is what Sean did to Stathead, and to Reference in general: double and triple the rate while plateauing the feature set, and in his case, even reducing functionality.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I could be talked into a subscription to this. We have gotten years and years of valuable free info from TR, so I don’t begrudge them wanting to monetize their USP. It’s only thirty bucks for a year. I have more than that sitting around unused in Apple Pay and Venmo accounts.

The main thing I hope they don’t do is what Sean did to Stathead, and to Reference in general: double and triple the rate while plateauing the feature set, and in his case, even reducing functionality.

Yeah MLBTR is such a great free resource of info.  It’s almost always where I find out about breaking news and rumors since I avoid Twitter like the plague.  Fair is fair if they charge a fee for it.

49 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

draft record not impressive to my untrained eye - but as always if the development side is lacking a good draft can look like a bad draft

The language needs to more precise than that offered. 'Manage their system' could be administrative and have no direct connection to scouting and development, or not.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1