2024 - 2025 Detroit Tigers Offseason

12 hours ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Yeah MLBTR is such a great free resource of info.  It’s almost always where I find out about breaking news and rumors since I avoid Twitter like the plague.  Fair is fair if they charge a fee for it.

To be fair very little is original reporting by them why should you pay cause they read nightgale's twitter?

13 minutes ago, KL2 said:

To be fair very little is original reporting by them why should you pay cause they read nightgale's twitter?

You would be paying for the convenience of having everythng in one place such as rotoworld which used to be free and now is a pay site.  Both sites do a good job, but I personally would not pay for them.  The only sites I pay for are FanGraphs and Baseball Reference.  

• Like 2

I would like to see the Tigers bring in some new players via free agency, but I would stay away from Pete Alonso, Juan Soto, Alex Bregman and Vladimir Guerrero, Jr.  Scott Harris cannot make a mistake and sign a Javier Baez 2.0.  Alonso and Soto are gonna want 12 year contracts and no way the Tigers should make that kind of long-term commitment. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

You would be paying for the convenience of having everythng in one place such as rotoworld which used to be free and now is a pay site.  Both sites do a good job, but I personally would not pay for them.  The only sites I pay for are FanGraphs and Baseball Reference.  

Trust me i understand these concepts better than anyone else here. Twas explaining why "fair is fair" isn't fair. If the original person isn't charging for thr info why should a secondary company charge and profit off of it?

8 hours ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

I would like to see the Tigers bring in some new players via free agency, but I would stay away from Pete Alonso, Juan Soto, Alex Bregman and Vladimir Guerrero, Jr.  Scott Harris cannot make a mistake and sign a Javier Baez 2.0.  Alonso and Soto are gonna want 12 year contracts and no way the Tigers should make that kind of long-term commitment. 

You can't be scared of free agents because of a past experience. If that was the case we'd never had made a trade after juan gone.

10 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Trust me i understand these concepts better than anyone else here. Twas explaining why "fair is fair" isn't fair. If the original person isn't charging for thr info why should a secondary company charge and profit off of it?

I didn't say they "should" do it, but but it seems pretty common now. There are other news aggregator sites that charge money and I have no doubt that the original sites would charge money if they thought it would be profitable.  The whole internet used to be free.   Now, it's getting really difficult to find sites which are not free.     

24 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I didn't say they "should" do it, but but it seems pretty common now. There are other news aggregator sites that charge money and I have no doubt that the original sites would charge money if they thought it would be profitable.  The whole internet used to be free.   Now, it's getting really difficult to find sites which are not free.     

And it bothers me when somebody posts a link that looks really interesting and it's a paywall. It mostly happens on Twitter.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

That's a generalization that's overbroad. As noted, curation can have value to the end consumer and there is no reason a priori for a curator not to be paid for their service if their customers see a value in it.  If anything, the volume of data the internet spews makes well done curation a more valuable service than ever.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

Alonso is 29 and a fraction of the player Soto is. Alonso does not expect  12 year contract. I think he will get 6 or 7, and I don't have confidence he will age well. Soto is only 25. He will get much, much more

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

The Baez debacle should have zero impact on adding a free agent.  There were red flags with him when he signed—clearly the worst option of that famous SS class.  We signed the absolute worst choice.  

It was a high reward high risk signing.  I didn't think it would turn out well, but given the state of the franchise, I was not unhappy to see them take a risk.  Given how low their payroll still is, I don't think he is preventing them from signing anyone.  The current risk is that he continues to tak up a roster spot.  

4 minutes ago, papalawrence said:

Alonso is 29 and a fraction of the player Soto is. Alonso does not expect  12 year contract. I think he will get 6 or 7, and I don't have confidence he will age well. Soto is only 25. He will get much, much more

I also have the feeling he won't age well and Comerica isn't a great fit for him.  

6 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Charlize Theron is not married. You gotta at least try.

Little bit if a stretch on the comparison. Det is a young team that just made the playoffs. Still a top 10 farm. Very low payroll. I know it's a longshot, but Harris should at least kick the tires. Also send a message to agents that Det is looking. Highly unlikely, nit zero. Theron marrying one of us, zero

1 hour ago, HeyAbbott said:

As much as we would like a big FA signing, Harris in his end of year presser kind of said that it's not going to happen. I'd like both a new 3b and 1b, but that is not realistic. I would think maybe 2 SPs that are good, and reclamation projects for other needs

If it’s one or the other for corner IF, get the 3B, all other things being equal.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/bally-sports-parent-company-fanduel-partner-regional-sports-networks-rebrand?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0kgLPT1lbVg7oB_n38kHW3fXVUiWyvCjgdh5gDVqAgyUAu6WKc8LX2Q3c_aem_51u_xD0V8axohExIiJ-IQg

yes, there will be Detroit baseball on TV this coming year. FanDuel Sports Network Detroit. [I guess this is old news, but I only just now found out about it]

• Sad 1