2024 - 2025 Detroit Tigers Offseason

13 minutes ago, Nate7474 said:

Something like this is what I would look at...

Offense-

- Try and sign Bregman 3 years with an option for a 4th to play 3rd Base.

- Vierling Plays Right Field and backups CF.

- Carpenter hasn't stayed healthy and hes poor in the field so he goes to DH for the majority of his at bats short of when we need to rest other players and against lefties.

- Jung is trade bait potentially or told to pick up a 1st baseman glove and be the sub for the corner infield.

- Sweeney to start at SS, you either platoon Baez or cut him.  If hes on the roster then there isn't a spot for McKinstry.

- Rogers and Dingler to share Catching duty.  Sign a vet for Toledo.

Pitching-

- Sign a number 2- Would love Flaherty but doubt it.  Maybe Bieber on a 2 year deal?

- Sign another late innings bullpen arm

- Cut Maeda

- Bring in a coupe vet arms for Toledo

- Jobe starts in Detroits with the plan he is there all year.

There is zero chance, less than zero actually, your gonna get bregman out of Houston for 3 years unless your paying him about 80 million per season. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KL2 said:

There is zero chance, less than zero actually, your gonna get bregman out of Houston for 3 years unless your paying him about 80 million per season. 

I'm not sure that true but you may be right.  They've got others to resign and might not want to commit the resources to Bregman.

1 minute ago, Nate7474 said:

I'm not sure that true but you may be right.  They've got others to resign and might not want to commit the resources to Bregman.

Well then if not Houston than somebody else will offer him more then. Considering he is 30 he's gonna want to lock up a big long term deal since this will be his one shot at one. 

It’s also important to consider that this is a tight knit group right now who will run through walls for each other.  They cheer for each other when they get pinch hit for.  A massive part of the success the second half of the season was guys being willing to take on any role in any situation and have a good attitude about it when it was their turn to take a seat.

Is bringing in some high priced free agents going to shift that attitude back more toward selfish individualism?  We are at a point in the rebuild where Tiger Culture is a thing and is an important immeasurable to consider when we add outside help to the team.

• Thanks 3

I’m not worried about bringing in veterans that will provide more offense.  Rosters turn over all of the time, and fixing our offense is critical.  We still have a flawed lineup, that our pitching and defense were able to mask.  If this team wants to turn the corner, they need to upgrade 1B, SS and 3B.  Maybe C, but if we upgrade the other spots, we can live with Jake’s bat.

I don’t think free agency is the solution at the spots we have—I want nothing to do with Bregman or Adames.  They are ready for decline.

This will need to be solved via trades.  We have the prospect capital to bring in established players.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Well then if not Houston than somebody else will offer him more then. Considering he is 30 he's gonna want to lock up a big long term deal since this will be his one shot at one. 

I'm thinking it will take 6 years.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m not worried about bringing in veterans that will provide more offense.  Rosters turn over all of the time, and fixing our offense is critical.  We still have a flawed lineup, that our pitching and defense were able to mask.  If this team wants to turn the corner, they need to upgrade 1B, SS and 3B.  Maybe C, but if we upgrade the other spots, we can live with Jake’s bat.

I don’t think free agency is the solution at the spots we have—I want nothing to do with Bregman or Adames.  They are ready for decline.

This will need to be solved via trades.  We have the prospect capital to bring in established players.

Teams are just not willing to trade top prospects like they used to be.  I would be surprised if that is the route Harris chooses to go.  

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I have a feeling some team will get burned by Adames.  I don't know which types of players age well (other than heavy players usually don't) but I have a feeling a guy that strikes out as much as he does won't have the skills to compensate for his decreasing bat speed as he ages.  Bregman, on the other hand, seems to be a disciplined and skilled batsman who may be able to make some adjustments.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monkeytargets39 said:

It’s also important to consider that this is a tight knit group right now who will run through walls for each other.  They cheer for each other when they get pinch hit for.  A massive part of the success the second half of the season was guys being willing to take on any role in any situation and have a good attitude about it when it was their turn to take a seat.

Is bringing in some high priced free agents going to shift that attitude back more toward selfish individualism?  We are at a point in the rebuild where Tiger Culture is a thing and is an important immeasurable to consider when we add outside help to the team.

This is lost on people who think the only way to improve a team is to spend on free agents, but you are onto something here. This isn't to say the team shouldn't dip into free agency, but they need to be selective and do research on the soft factors before adding somebody to the mix.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

This is lost on people who think the only way to improve a team is to spend on free agents, but you are onto something here. This isn't to say the team shouldn't dip into free agency, but they need to be selective and do research on the soft factors before adding somebody to the mix.

This just might be the most critical juncture the Tigers reside at since 2005.

Take a look at the outfielder for a moment. While there is much to admire, there are also some questions peering into the future. Carp and Geene are solid players, but both have had significant injury histories so far into their respective careers. Carpenter's back issues can take a serious turn . Does Perez have a place moving forward in Detroit or is he a depth piece for Toledo? A right handed outfielder addition might make some sense for example. An upgrade is desirable at third. Is Tork the answer at first.

As mentioned earlier, chemistry is this case is very important as mentioned earlier.

I advise caution.

Edited by HeyAbbott
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

9IP at WM, a very quick promotion to AA Erie where spent most of the season. He threw 73.2 there plus his DL stint, then promotion to AAA for a mere 9 IP,  before being called to Det where he got into 2 games for a total of 4IP.

He started the year in Erie, the IP at WM were just a rehab stint.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, monkeytargets39 said:

They definitely seemed to have the right attitude this year, but chemistry can be fleeting.  What happens when the young players get older and they no longer want to be so flexible?  What happens when they get a couple of years under their belts and start thinking about arbitration and free agency?  What happens when they they go into a slump next April or May and start to get on each other's nerves?  This is why they send young experienced kids into war.  It's easier to mold them.  I am not saying that chemistry doesn't matter, but I don't think it lasts indefinitely.  It's an evolving thing. Talent wins out long term and winning contributes to chemistry.  I will agree that they don't need to bring any known attitude problems onto the team, but if they can get the right player/personality at a reasonable price, they should not hesitate to do so.     

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, monkeytargets39 said:

I am confident that signing Juan Soto to play RF would not cause a locker room revolt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeyAbbott said:

This just might be the most critical juncture the Tigers reside at since 2005.

Take a look at the outfielder for a moment. While there is much to admire, there are also some questions peering into the future. Carp and Geene are solid players, but both have had significant injury histories so far into their respective careers. Carpenter's back issues can take a serious turn . Does Perez have a place moving forward in Detroit or is he a depth piece for Toledo? A right handed outfielder addition might make some sense for example. An upgrade is desirable at third. Is Tork the answer at first.

As mentioned earlier, chemistry is this case is very important as mentioned earlier.

I advise caution.

I am more worried about Carpenter than Greene.  Carpenter's swing looks like it creates a ton of power but also could create an enormous amount of strain on his back.  So the fact he had a back issue this year is not surprising.  No question Greene has been injury prone also but at least he got to 137 games this year and his injuries seem to be more random.  I think getting him out of centerfield helps a lot too.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

They definitely seemed to have the right attitude this year, but chemistry can be fleeting.  What happens when the young players get older and they no longer want to be so flexible?  What happens when they get a couple of years under their belts and start thinking about arbitration and free agency?  What happens when they they go into a slump next April or May and start to get on each other's nerves?  This is why they send young experienced kids into war.  It's easier to mold them.  I am not saying that chemistry doesn't matter, but I don't think it lasts indefinitely.  It's an evolving thing. Talent wins out long term and winning contributes to chemistry.  I will agree that they don't need to bring any known attitude problems onto the team, but if they can get the right player/personality at a reasonable price, they should not hesitate to do so.     

All very true, but there are plenty of examples of teams that spend plenty of money on talent and none of it plays well together.  Gotta find a happy medium between talent and cohesiveness—-and unfortunately for a team like the Tigers, we need to skew more towards the cohesiveness end of that medium rather than the big payroll talent end.

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Yep.  No reason not to go after the upgrades we need to make the team better, but those players must have a vibe that matches the teams.  No different than what Dan Campbell has been instilling with the Lions.

11 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I just can't help but notice the team went on its best run in 40 years after it shed about $60M in salary (full year, not prorated; including IL-ing Baez).

But they had their best extended run from 2006-2013 when they added more salary than ever.  

Has there been any recent research on what kinds of players are most likely to age well?  I am pretty sure players who have a broad range of skills and keep themselves in shape tend to do better than one dimensional players and heavy players, but what else?  It seems that many teams have not really figured out a way to select the right players for long-term deals and it seems like there should be a system.  

30 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Has there been any recent research on what kinds of players are most likely to age well?  I am pretty sure players who have a broad range of skills and keep themselves in shape tend to do better than one dimensional players and heavy players, but what else?  It seems that many teams have not really figured out a way to select the right players for long-term deals and it seems like there should be a system.  

I came across something recently that suggest players who rely on speed and athleticism but have recurring soft tissue leg/core issues are more likely to age faster. I think it was BA.

16 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

With hitters though you have two different 'ageing' effects to track. Some guys are simply going to break down but retain the hand/eye/reflex ability to hit - they just become physically unable - Prince obviously but also less extreme cases like Joe Mauer, who was still a good hitter when it just got to where he couldn't play. But there are also guys who lose their bat while still physically in decent shape - which you commonly see in guys that fall  out of the league in their very early 30's.

So if you could you'd want to be able to identify/predict both kinds early career ends....