2024 - 2025 Detroit Tigers Offseason

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

I’m also curious about what it means for Torkelson to demonstrate that he’s improving during the off-season. Does this mean winter ball? I’m not sure how reliable non-game related training regimens are in providing tangible clues as to his advancement as a hitter. 

I doubt it will be winter ball, but I would guess they will deploy coach(es) to work with him on-site and have regular progress checks a few times a week.

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

the question bears on whether pinch-hitting is any easier than it used to be as more stadium have more facilities available for players to prep.

Probably, although I do believe it has more to do with the roster than the facilities.

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

A couple things I see in there:

"Casey Mize has best fastball he's had in career. Needs to make adjustments with secondaries, believe he still has a high ceiling". Sounds like they might be talking him up for a trade.

LOL - they can try to talk him up all they like, it's not likely going to change how other MLB GMs evaluate Mize. If we trade him now we'll be selling pretty much at rock bottom. They'd have to be really done with him - and maybe they are. I think I've already posted before that my doubts about Mize at this point are as much about whether he can master the mental aspects of being a winning pitcher as his arm. Ditto for Manning FTM.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - they can try to talk him up all they like, it's not likely going to change how other MLB GMs evaluate Mize. If we trade him now we'll be selling pretty much at rock bottom. They'd have to be really done with him - and maybe they are. I think I've already posted before that my doubts about Mize at this point are as much about whether he can master the mental aspects of being a winning pitcher as his arm. Ditto for Manning FTM.

Oh, I don't know—there are still a few Al Avila-level front offices still out there. 😁

Anyhow, I was just parsing the language is all.

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

"Casey Mize has best fastball he's had in career. Needs to make adjustments with secondaries, believe he still has a high ceiling". Sounds like they might be talking him up for a trade.

"Tork needs to have a good off-season. Still needs to work on becoming a 'complete hitter'. They have confidence in Tork." This reads to me like they might be a little less likely to trade Tork, even though I think it would be a good move given acceptable return.

Also, no more pitching chaos;

"- Obviously going to add pitching
- Goal is to have a 5 man rotation, glad to know the "bulk inning" strategy is something they can go to if needed, but won't start next year with that strategy."

It was pretty telling to me that Mize was left off the ALCS roster and Foley was deemed unusable to the point where we had multiple guys who pitched 4 or more of the 5 game series over using Foley once.

Wouldnt shock me at all if those two guys end up on other teams by opening day.  

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Oh, I don't know—there are still a few Al Avila-level front offices still out there. 😁

Anyhow, I was just parsing the language is all.

I thought is was interesting that Harris tried to make a case that Javy's hip issues were contributing to his ineffectiveness at the plate with the clear implication that with the hip repaired there is some reason to hope he might return to offensive productivity. I don't know if I believe any of that for a minute, but I'll still hold out some hope it may be true.

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I thought is was interesting that Harris tried to make a case that Javy's hip issues were contributing to his ineffectiveness at the plate with the clear implication that with the hip repaired there is some reason to hope he might return to offensive productivity. I don't know if I believe any of that for a minute, but I'll still hold out some hope it may be true.

I don't think Harris is going to say anything publicly that would cast aspersions on anything related to Javy, whether it's effort, performance, or potential. Doing so would be bad form and send the wrong message to the team. He is always going to say, "we look forward to seeing Javy make a strong comeback in camp" and never "Javy is mos def dunzo here."

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

I can remember most of these stances and mannerisms clear as day. Except for Marty Castillo, don’t remember that about him. 

Now, there are still three weeks to go.  I think the length of the playoffs makes them anti-climatic.  

In the late 1970s, I was into politically edgy British punk, the Talking Heads, and Tom Waits and didn’t like disco. Now that I’ve gotten older I’m OK with disco and consider it “dance music“ even though when it was then a current trend my friends and I disparaged it as “bourgeois crap.” We were sort of full of ourselves. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

In the late 1970s, I was into politically edgy British punk, the Talking Heads, and Tom Waits and didn’t like disco. Now that I’ve gotten older I’m OK with disco and consider it “dance music“ even though when it was then a current trend my friends and I disparaged it as “bourgeois crap.” We were sort of full of ourselves. 

Ain’t that the truth

• Like 1

I remember that I couldn't listen to this game because it was too early to get good radio reception from Massachusetts.  I was looking forward to the second game and I was disappointed that it was called.  Even Ernie Harwell sounded disgusted.  Anyway, the game was forfeited to the Tigers, so they did get a sweep, but they were 14 games out, so who cares.  I just wanted to hear a game!

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

I saw a documentary on disco, maybe it was on The Bee Gees, and never realized that a lot of the anti disco stuff had anti gay insinuations behind it, along with corporate music ruining the genre by over saturating it. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, oblong said:

I saw a documentary on disco, maybe it was on The Bee Gees, and never realized that a lot of the anti disco stuff had anti gay insinuations behind it, along with corporate music ruining the genre by over saturating it. 

Strong anti-urban and racial animus in there too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oblong said:

If a person can't see the reactionary element to late 70s early 80's metal, I don't know what to do for them.   Judas Priest, that's where the headbangers were stymied. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chasfh said:

"Tork needs to have a good off-season. Still needs to work on becoming a 'complete hitter'. They have confidence in Tork." This reads to me like they might be a little less likely to trade Tork, even though I think it would be a good move given acceptable return.

All that losing to get these two "cats" 1-1 and we are still waiting and hoping..wish upon 2 stars...... 

• Sad 1

Cal Raleigh is going to win the award, but the second banana in the Verlander trade is looking better and better. If Jake could come within shouting distance of being a league average stick, he'd be a legit All-Star. Too bad he'll be 30 next season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Cal Raleigh is going to win the award, but the second banana in the Verlander trade is looking better and better. If Jake could come within shouting distance of being a league average stick, he'd be a legit All-Star. Too bad he'll be 30 next season.

yeah - Jake's bat is what it is at this point. When Dingler turned around his numbers at AAA so well we all hoped there was something there but it sure didn't carry over. I'm sure they'll give him more opportunity. I haven't watched his career at all so have no idea if there is some basic flaw in his approach or not. But if not Dingler, I guess the org is basically in a holding pattern for a bat at C hoping for Lirzano....

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - Jake's bat is what it is at this point. When Dingler turned around his numbers at AAA so well we all hoped there was something there but it sure didn't carry over. I'm sure they'll give him more opportunity. I haven't watched his career at all so have no idea if there is some basic flaw in his approach or not. But if not Dingler, I guess the org is basically in a holding pattern for a bat at C hoping for Lirzano....

I don't know how much we can count on Liranzo making the big leagues as a catcher. I have read there's been some improvement, but if an offer for a better catcher presents itself, even if the stick is a step or two below Liranzo, the Tigers might jump on the opportunity. But this "might" is based on imperfect information.