8/1/24 6:40 Royals @ Tigers

22 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Guess who’s back? back again Tork is back, Tell a friend…

… In Toledo… 

yeah - still a little cloudy with Tork. He's got an 820 OPS for July, with a 396 OPB, but that's because he's got a >20% walk rate, contact wise he hit only 226 for over the period. Call him half-way there maybe.

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - still a little cloudy with Tork. He's got an 820 OPS for July, with a 396 OPB, but that's because he's got a >20% walk rate, contact wise he hit only 226 for over the period. Call him half-way there maybe.

I’d take him back in a heartbeat if he would obp .400 and ops .820 even if the batting average was low .200s.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

I’d take him back in a heartbeat if he would obp .400 and ops .820 even if the batting average was low .200s.

certainly. But if the walk rate against MLB pitching ends up 10% and he looses 20pt of the BA on the transition, he'd be close to where he was when they sent him down. I think I'd like to see another 50+ AB with the Hens, but my guess is that he's coming back up quite soon.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

certainly. But if the walk rate against MLB pitching ends up 10% and he looses 20pt of the BA on the transition, he'd be close to where he was when they sent him down. I think I'd like to see another 50+ AB with the Hens, but my guess is that he's coming back up quite soon.

I’m fine with him staying there until September.  I’m not convinced he’s close to being done making his adjustments.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

After eight seasons and counting, it’s hard to believe they give a crap. 

Yup, just cutting payroll at the trade deadline every year and getting a bunch of cheap, probably AAA level players, in a return for trades.

They will always be 2 years away from spending to compete.

I have a feeling they will trade Skubal before opening day next year and Greene will be the following year.

I even had a sneaking feeling they would be willing to trade Skubal if the other team took on Javy's contract in return for lesser prospects.

12 hours ago, kdog said:

The last two months of this season are not going to build much optimism for 2025. Harris will stick to his plan or whatever but they don’t seem to understand that throwing away seasons damages your standing with fans. 

Yes. There is no excuse to not at least try, CIrvin (as an example) could pitch some innings. Take a flyer on him (or someone similar), a LH SP at Comerica, maybe Fetters and Co. can help 'make him better'. Maybe do what they did with CKelly last year for someone (pick up later in season), ex have an option for a second year - and pick it up IF they show some promise.

Even MLorenzen prior - KC went after him and got him for little. SHarris knows the situation with this teams SP. He cannot be afraid to trade marginal minor league players. He did not do that once at this deadline to perhaps sweeten the pot in any of the deals to potentially get a better prospect in return. I still question his ability to 'negotiate a deal' - hopefully he is gaining some experience there.

This BP day stuff is throwing in the towel. The evaluating is effected because morale is down because we are always behind. It is a disservice to the fan base and it is killing the BP arms period.

It really seems at times SHarris does not care about the team at the MLB level. The psyche is effected. The injuries for many teams (esp SPs) is obvious. The FO better add SP depth next year. Sure, many thought they had that this year - and look once again. I repeat JWentz and DHutchinson were second on the team in IP respectivly for '23 & '22, both at apx 104 IP each - you would think the FO would learn. THIS FO. No blaming the previous regime here on this.

I think an idea across MLB FO's should be to pay better paying contracts to FA journeyman SP types that include innings at AAA (ex the JJunis types of the league). They may be more inclined to sign and this would add depth. It would be a bit of a different approach - but in today's game it may just work and more importantly be needed.

This approach should NOT at all hurt the idea of evaluating young talent. It could actually help to not over tax and preserve it.

Edited by alex

12 hours ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

Andy Dirks

How is he with Benetti? I really like Dirks with Dan Dickerson. He’s mostly business with a touch of party, and I think he knows how to loosen Dan up, unlike Bobby Scales who, while I like him all right, seems like he’s working hard when he’s on the air.

12 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Players know that management has thrown in the towel. Hinch can say what he wants about everybody playing hard every day. They won't.    And even if they do, it won't matter. 😢

If marginal major league players won’t play hard every day, then they must not care much about their careers and their prospects for future income.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

How is he with Benetti? I really like Dirks with Dan Dickerson. He’s mostly business with a touch of party, and I think he knows how to loosen Dan up, unlike Bobby Scales who, while I like him all right, seems like he’s working hard when he’s on the air.

Just a wild guess - maybe the whole CMo situation changed a bit of the broadcasting scenario?

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If marginal major league players won’t play hard every day, then they must not care much about their careers and their prospects for future income.

that's easy to say, but it's just human reality that a competitor with no reasonable chance to compete can't give you his best. It's the situation that drives those competitive hormone releases. There are individuals who probably aren't affected but when you take a whole team, some effect is inevitable. And some of it is more objectively real. When you can't pitch and are always behind, it snowballs - you take pressure off the other staff, give the opposing manager more options to use against you.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 minutes ago, alex said:

Just a wild guess - maybe the whole CMo situation changed a bit of the broadcasting scenario?

You know, it just occurred to me.  Bally's never had the awful "players only" broadcast from RF this season.

As dire as the SP situation is in Detroit right now, why is Manning not up?

As far as evaluations go,  there is nothing the Tigers don’t know about Manning, good, bad or whatever. Why wait until September to bring him back. He is what he is. If he isn’t “fixed” by now, it’s probably not in the cards to begin with.

7 minutes ago, 1776 said:

As far as evaluations go,  there is nothing the Tigers don’t know about Manning, good, bad or whatever. Why wait until September to bring him back. He is what he is. If he isn’t “fixed” by now, it’s probably not in the cards to begin with.

I think Manning is injured.

Its easy to point to the bullpen being overtaxed with the lack of SP.  But what about Skubal and Montero?  This game was a good one for Montero to go 7.  After the first 3 batters he faced scored on the HR ball, he really held Kansas City in check and didn't throw too many pitches.  But will there be a game where they try to squeeze one inning too many out of whatever SP they have because there was a BP game the game before or the game after?

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

that's easy to say, but it's just human reality that a competitor with no reasonable chance to compete can't give you his best. It's the situation that drives those competitive hormone releases. There are individuals who probably aren't affected but when you take a whole team, some effect is inevitable. And some of it is more objectively real. When you can't pitch and are always behind, it snowballs - you take pressure off the other staff, give the opposing manager more options to use against you.

I think it might be more complicated than that. I don’t think most players conclude that hell, my team is not going to win, so I’m gonna jake it, because **** it. If management concluded as much about the players, it would be career suicide for most of these guys.

Some of it is guys coming up who want to prove they belong with the team—Dillon Dingler, Ryan Kreidler, Wenceel Perez, Ryan Vilade, Brieske, Sammons, Vest, Wentz, Montero, Malloy all come to mind, along with come-and-go guys like Hanifee. Other guys are marginal major leaguers who don’t have a long-term connection to the Tigers organization and are playing for their next contract with whoever might sign them, guys like Madris, Urshela, McKinstry, Shelby Miller, Guenther. All these guys have reasons to play hard beyond going to the playoffs, which everyone knows isn’t happening for us. They all have careers to either establish or protect. From the standpoint of incentives, it makes no sense for them to **** around just because the team is on a trajectory to miss the playoffs. Only guys who are secure in their careers, like Skubal or Keith, or guys who have the money but are at the end, like Javy, might be motivated to **** around, and I would think just from the standpoint of their reputations as professionals, they wouldn’t fall into that trap, at least for very long.

I wouldn’t say there is zero sloppy play, I’m just pushing back on the idea that players don’t care about playing hard if they know they’re not making the playoffs with this team this year. I think a lot of what we interpret as apathetic play is more lack of ability to perform at the top of the major league profession. I think we as fans just have to occasionally remind ourselves that just because we don’t care about this team this year anymore, that doesn’t mean the players themselves don’t care about protecting their careers or their reputations as professionals. I think they are playing hard. They’re just not capable All-Star-level players, most of them.

Edited by chasfh

5 minutes ago, 1776 said:

has not pitched in 2 weeks due to lat strain; assume he will be back when healthy

11 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Lat strain. They IL'd him on the 19th.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I’m just pushing back on the idea that players don’t care about playing hard

Guys care about their careers, but that still has to fight uphill against team management creating/adding to a depressing situation to come to work in - it becomes a drag on everyone's mental state. You know the old line about the highest performing org are those where everyone is rowing in the same direction, etc. Players want to win, they don't care about team 5 yr plans.

OTOH - it's probably great for getting performance from guys who can't play under pressure when/if they ever get to more competitive situations.....:classic_dry:

10 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Bobby Witt Jr. looks like a player who is going to beat us up for 15 years of more.

Probably true.  There was Mauer in Minnesota, there is Ramirez in Cleveland, now there's Witt in Kansas City.