Random Baseball Posts

OK, I've been threatening to do this for a few days, notably here and here, but I just came up with another post that doesn't comfortably fit anywhere, so I'm starting a new thread. This thread for any random factoid, story, joke, poem, and assorted sundry detritus. That's the intent, anyway. The posts don't have to be about the Tigers, necessarily, but any of them could be. This first post is.

Some or most of you guys may already know this, but the Detroit Tigers franchise were not founded in 1901. They were founded in 1895 and first played in the minor league Western League, which continued under that name through 1899. It was a league that looked a lot like the future American Association, with teams like the Minneapolis Millers, St. Paul Saints, Kansas City Blues, and the like. In 1900 they changed their name to the American League, still a minor league, and picked up the Chicago White Stockings and the Cleveland Lake Shores. The American League then declared war on the National League and forced their way into becoming a major league, rounding out into the eight-team configuration they would continue with unabated until 1954.

The Tigers are one of two teams that started with the 1895 WL, the other being the Milwaukee Brewers, who made their way to St. Louis in 1902 before landing in Balitmore in that 1954 season.

That means our Tigers are the one continuing franchise in the American League that has retained their city and identity the entire time.

I'm kinda proud of that.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, papalawrence said:

One of my first Tigers memories. I was 6 years old. 

I’ve been reading a book from a few years ago about the 1964 Birmingham Barons. Campy was on that team, and if the book is to be believed, he was a hothead.

Also, without looking it up, if I remember correctly, there were two broadcasts of this game, it being a playoff game and all. One was the local broadcast you posted with George Kell and Larry Osterman that ran on channel 2, their local affiliate; the other was the national broadcast running on channel 4 (“WWJ-TV, the Detroit News”), called by, I assume, Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubek.

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’ve been reading a book from a few years ago about the 1964 Birmingham Barons. Campy was on that team, and if the book is to be believed, he was a hothead.

If you don’t mind me asking, do you have the title/author handy for the book you mentioned? Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The White Sox have lost 18 games in a row. This isn't just bad, it's incredibly bad. And it's really hard to be this bad...can you imagine being a fan of that team? It's like...why even bother?

If you were a fan of the Tigers in 1975, you could imagine a team losing 18 games in a row.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The White Sox have lost 18 games in a row. This isn't just bad, it's incredibly bad. And it's really hard to be this bad...can you imagine being a fan of that team? It's like...why even bother?

The Tigers, with their current healthy roster, doesn't look much better than the White Sox right now. 

21 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

But the '75 Tigers also won 57 games. The '24 White Sox would have to finish 28-22 to beat that. I don't see that happening. I just hope they win a game before we play them, I wouldn't want them ending a streak against us!

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

If you were a fan of the Tigers in 1975, you could imagine a team losing 18 games in a row.  

My family went to a game in that streak, I believe it was vs the Angels. I tolerated the loss because Tiger Stadium was heaven on earth to me. I swear I could smell wahoo Crawford's urine.....but later I realized it was likely the drunk dude behind me.

• Like 1