Random Baseball Posts

34 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

It’s coming.  As VR becomes more accessible, you will eventually pay to be in the stadium, looking around the ballpark on your terms, from the comfort of your home.

you may get the VR view - I'm willing to bet it will still come with commercials!

Edited by gehringer_2

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

That makes me sad.  He was one of my all-time favorite pitchers.  I used to imitate him as a pitcher in Little League.  It wasn't even on purpose.  

I saw him pitch in the '72 division clinching game. It was the game Eddie Brinkman dropped an F bomb on the live news broadcast. We used to imitate his wind-up too. It was....unique. 😆

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=197210030DET

• Like 1

MLB will air local games for Guardians, Brewers and Twins beginning next season

“With the media landscape continuing to evolve, Major League Baseball is committed to serving our fans by ensuring they can see their favorite Clubs, removing blackouts where we can, and ultimately growing the reach of our games,” Noah Garden, MLB deputy commissioner for business and media, said in a statement.

The broadcasts are expected to be on local cable systems as well as satellite and direct-to-consumer streaming.

By taking over the broadcasts, MLB expects to increase the market reach of its teams. Cleveland games were available on approximately 1.45 million households on its regional sports network. That reach is expected to increase 235% to 4.86 million households. Minnesota’s will go up 307% from 1.08 million homes to 4.4 million.

I think this Cleveland nugget via Toledo TV market is a good harbinger for future Tiger broadcasts in the area as well.  The elimination of blackouts needs to be done yesterday.

29 minutes ago, casimir said:

MLB will air local games for Guardians, Brewers and Twins beginning next season

I think this Cleveland nugget via Toledo TV market is a good harbinger for future Tiger broadcasts in the area as well.  The elimination of blackouts needs to be done yesterday.

so if the court approves Diamond's move to void the Tiger's deal then the Tigers either: a)work a new deal with what's left of Diamond at a lower payout for the Tigers, b)  send the rights back to MLB like the teams whose deals were up - if Diamond's offer is worth less than than MLBs, c) go independent if they think they can do better themselves. 

The complication for Detroit is that both the the Tigers and the Wings (and FTM the Pistons) need homes. If there are advantages to Ilitch to having both teams on the same carrier, that argues against the Tigers going back to MLB. 

9 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

It’s coming.  As VR becomes more accessible, you will eventually pay to be in the stadium, looking around the ballpark on your terms, from the comfort of your home.

I'm not sure the thing I'm asking for is ever coming. I'm not sure it's in Baseball's interest to dissociate advertising and marketing from the game experience. I can tell you from firsthand experience that clients are super stoked to be associated with sports and teams and games, and for far more than just the eyeballs it generates. So the idea that Baseball would charge a few dollars in exchange for an ad-free experience, for which a very high percentage of fans would opt in to, might end up not being anywhere near worth the money for Baseball to offer it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

so if the court approves Diamond's move to void the Tiger's deal then the Tigers either: a)work a new deal with what's left of Diamond at a lower payout for the Tigers, b)  send the rights back to MLB like the teams whose deals were up - if Diamond's offer is worth less than than MLBs, c) go independent if they think they can do better themselves. 

The complication for Detroit is that both the the Tigers and the Wings (and FTM the Pistons) need homes. If there are advantages to Ilitch to having both teams on the same carrier, that argues against the Tigers going back to MLB. 

Since the Pistons and Red Wings already have new deals in place with Diamond I would assume Tigers to follow suit this cycle.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm not sure how the trio as whole is dealt with.  Its easy to say the Ilitch family has 2 of the 3, so figure it out. I would imagine they've done some homework on it already.  Maybe the Tigers reside on MLB temporarily while the Pizza Pizza network is being berthed. 

43 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I would assume Tigers to follow suit this cycle.

the question will be how big a cut from the current rights value Diamond wants vs what Ilitch will accept. With the team on an upswing the Tigers may not be in a mood to rebate much.

Edited by gehringer_2

35 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

the question will be how big a cut from the current rights value Diamond wants vs what Ilitch will accept. With the team on an upswing the Tigers may not be in a mood to rebate much.

True, but only 5 months until spring training they would need to have something in motion at this point to pull it off.

9 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Anyone think the Tigers were more willing to trade Flaherty because they didn’t have confidence in him enough to give him a lengthy contract?

Possibly, but it could just be a matter of him asking for more years than they wanted to give.  

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I'm not sure the thing I'm asking for is ever coming. I'm not sure it's in Baseball's interest to dissociate advertising and marketing from the game experience. I can tell you from firsthand experience that clients are super stoked to be associated with sports and teams and games, and for far more than just the eyeballs it generates. So the idea that Baseball would charge a few dollars in exchange for an ad-free experience, for which a very high percentage of fans would opt in to, might end up not being anywhere near worth the money for Baseball to offer it.

I agree.  I don't see the big sports leagues getting into ad free experiences.  Maybe, they have and I missed it, but it doesn't seem like it would  be profitable.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I agree.  I don't see the big sports leagues getting into ad free experiences.  Maybe, they have and I missed it, but it doesn't seem like it would  be profitable.

Right. Whatever you are willing to pay to be add-free, there are companies willing to pay much more than that to ensure you see them. 

3 hours ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Right. Whatever you are willing to pay to be add-free, there are companies willing to pay much more than that to ensure you see them. 

And even beyond that, Baseball probably would not want to provide an ad-free experience because they want to remain business-friendly. 

Baseball has never been ad-free.  100 years ago cigarette companies and others had big ads on outfield walls. Radio broadcasts from the 1930s available on YouTube have the play by plays plugging multiple products per at-bat. Only ads that really annoy me are logos embedded into the pitcher’s mound (like Corona during Mets-Phillies right now) and the Nike swoosh because it disrupts the front of the jersey  I’m fine with side patches and helmet ads  

I’d pay money to have the option to turn off all graphics when I don’t need them. The strike zone box, the score box, the network’s logo.  Would like a clean view of the field.

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1

So since this is the random thread, I will put this here. A few questions.

First, as I said in some other threads, I fell off the wagon and started watching baseball again. Things have changed so much. Some of it is technology, and of course, how they now play the game.

1) I see posts in game threads (post game) showing how well the ump called the game. I hope I said that right. I see a batters box when watching the game so that has something to do with it? Maybe two questions here. 1a) how is this zone electronically created, for lack of a better word. 1b) how accurate is it 1c) who controls the data. In a nutshell, how does that all work. Neat stuff, not that I'm into replacing umps. Just give me a place to start the research and I can go from there.

2) I have read this board for a long time, like 3 boards ago. TigerLee was one of the first guys I talked to many years ago. I remember the arguments way back then between the stat (Sabermetric) guys and the traditionalist old school guys. Fun stuff.

Now I see tee shirts that says Gritty, or something like that. Back in those days that would get you ran out of town. Which is my next question. I am the old school guy. A Jim Leyland type of guy. I know I've been away, and have watched a very small sample size of games in the last week (5), but what flavor of baseball is this?

It appears to me, it is a mix between both philosophies. All about matchups and odds. I might be wrong, but the guy who started game one, just closed game 3. WTF? Who does that? Well, team Chaos, that's who. The stats tell us what happened as they are a record of history. Also a result of what your game plan was, and how well you executed it. Earl Weaver was known for his index cards. Same stuff.

I don't know, because I've been away for a long time, but this current trip we are on looks like they have blown up every rule of baseball, no matter which camp of baseball philosophy you reside in. Or, maybe not. I think there is a thing to this gritty stuff. You can't measure it, but it's there, and it matters.

One final observation, again, small sample size. I'm already a big fan of Parker Meadows. Tall, slim, runs like the wind. Love guys like that in the big field at Comerica.

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

I hope I said that right. I see a batters box when watching the game so that has something to do with it? Maybe two questions here. 1a) how is this zone electronically created, for lack of a better word. 1b) how accurate is it 1

the width is easy enough, but I always wondered about the top and bottom myself, but the other day one of the analysts said that they keep a running average of each hitter's last 100AB and the top and bottom lines are the average over those AB of the what the umps have actually called. If you follow a game on MLB gameday where the 'cartoon' has a fixed background, you can see the top of the strike zone box change a bit wrt the background on each hitter.

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

2) I have read this board for a long time, like 3 boards ago. TigerLee was one of the first guys I talked to many years ago. I remember the arguments way back then between the stat (Sabermetric) guys and the traditionalist old school guys. Fun stuff.

Now I see tee shirts that says Gritty, or something like that. Back in those days that would get you ran out of town. Which is my next question. I am the old school guy. A Jim Leyland type of guy. I know I've been away, and have watched a very small sample size of games in the last week (5), but what flavor of baseball is this?

It appears to me, it is a mix between both philosophies. All about matchups and odds. I might be wrong, but the guy who started game one, just closed game 3. WTF? Who does that? Well, team Chaos, that's who. The stats tell us what happened as they are a record of history. Also a result of what your game plan was, and how well you executed it. Earl Weaver was known for his index cards. Same stuff.

I don't know, because I've been away for a long time, but this current trip we are on looks like they have blown up every rule of baseball, no matter which camp of baseball philosophy you reside in. Or, maybe not. I think there is a thing to this gritty stuff. You can't measure it, but it's there, and it matters.

One final observation, again, small sample size. I'm already a big fan of Parker Meadows. Tall, slim, runs like the wind. Love guys like that in the big field at Comerica.

It's always a mix of both philosophies as it should be.  Ideally, sabermetrics and scouting should complement each other, not be at odds with one another.   As for whether the Tigers stand now, they definitely appear to be very saber inclined.  They now employ more stat guys than any Tigers front office ever and Hinch pays a lot of attention to statistical reports in making decisions about all kinds of match-ups.  The front office also uses a lot of analytics in all the transactions and player development. At the same time, a team needs to understand player personalities and the Tigers do seem concerned with adding certain types of personalities that will playwell together.    

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It's always a mix of both philosophies as it should be.  Ideally, sabermetrics and scouting should complement each other, not be at odds with one another.   As for whether the Tigers stand now, they definitely appear to be very saber inclined.  They now employ more stat guys than any Tigers front office ever and Hinch pays a lot of attention to statistical reports in making decisions about all kinds of match-ups.  The front office also uses a lot of analytics in all the transactions and player development. At the same time, a team needs to understand player personalities and the Tigers do seem concerned with adding certain types of personalities that will playwell together.    

I'm with ya. I never thought I would see something like this. Guy starts today, 6 pitches, 3 outs. See ya. WHAT? Back in one of the Houston games they give a late hitter (I hardly know anyone) a green light on 3-0 with 2 out and he singles (adding; I don't remember, but that didn't seem to be the the thing to do at the time given the situation). I'm not sure the old guys would have done that.

Think of all the old gray hair managers who choked on their beer over this stuff. Wild. I love it.

Get the job done tomorrow. At least I can watch instead of playing avoid the world until I see the tape.

Edited by Screwball
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Screwball said:

I'm with ya. I never thought I would see something like this. Guy starts today, 6 pitches, 3 outs. See ya. WHAT? Back in one of the Houston games they give a late hitter (I hardly know anyone) a green light on 3-0 with 2 out and he singles (adding; I don't remember, but that didn't seem to be the the thing to do at the time given the situation). I'm not sure the old guys would have done that.

Think of all the old gray hair managers who choked on their beer over this stuff. Wild. I love it.

Get the job done tomorrow. At least I can watch instead of playing avoid the world until I see the tape.

Your journey has been quite entertaining.

4 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I’d pay money to have the option to turn off all graphics when I don’t need them. The strike zone box, the score box, the network’s logo.  Would like a clean view of the field.

This and the option for a commentary-free audio feed with just the natural ballpark sounds are my big wants.