Random Baseball Posts

2 minutes ago, Evil Roy Slade said:

This might be what the Tampa Bay rays ownership needs to move out of Florida. A good team gets very little support. A lousy facility and a lousy location.

I was just discussing with a friend what would have happened had the Rays made the playoffs. Where would they play? Miami? In front of apathetic fans and empty seats? Of course, that could be a competitive advantage for them ...

9 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Construction's not scheduled to start til the Winter of '25 with a '28 opening. 

Still, they are going to love having to spend a small fortune to repair a building they are going to tear down. I suppose, depending on whether the interior design could take the weather,  they might be able to just leave the roof off for two seasons.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Still, they are going to love having to spend a small fortune to repair a building they are going to tear down. I suppose, depending on whether the interior design could take the weather,  they might be able to just leave the roof off for two seasons.

Or let the team play in Durham for the next two seasons. If they can let the A's play in a minor league park, why not the Rays.

23 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Construction's not scheduled to start til the Winter of '25 with a '28 opening. 

I suspect that there are a large number of behind the scenes stuff that's already well under way though. Obviously this doesn't mean they can't back out, just that they'd likely have to pay (or already have) payed a lot of money to start the process rolling... money which would be lost.

4 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I suspect that there are a large number of behind the scenes stuff that's already well under way though. Obviously this doesn't mean they can't back out, just that they'd likely have to pay (or already have) payed a lot of money to start the process rolling... money which would be lost.

True, since the plan was only approved earlier this year a facility like they seem to be planning can't be constructed overnight. They're going to have to patch up the old facility or temporarily relocate somewhere. It took over a year to repair the facility in New Orleans after Katrina

On 10/10/2024 at 12:28 PM, CMRivdogs said:

Or let the team play in Durham for the next two seasons. If they can let the A's play in a minor league park, why not the Rays.

Having a MiLB team and a MLB team share the same park has to be a complication for the schedule makers, especially given the way the minor league schedules go a week at a time at a single park now. 
The AA Mississippi Braves are relocating to Columbus, GA this offseason. They will be known as the Columbus Clingstone Peaches going forward.
The Rays would look good in Pearl, MS. For a couple of years. 😁

Edited by 1776
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Having a MiLB team and a MLB team share the same park has to be a complication for the schedule makers, especially given the way the minor league schedules go a week at a time at a single park now. 
The AA Mississippi Braves are relocating to Columbus, GA this offseason. They will be known as the Columbus Clingstone Peaches going forward.
The Rays would look good in Pearl, MS. For a couple of years. 😁

Yes, and also, major league teams and players have minimum standards for facilities and amenities that most if not all minor league parks simply cannot deliver on.

On 10/10/2024 at 9:23 AM, gehringer_2 said:

Wouldn’t insurance cover the rebuild cost?

3 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I would think that would be the case. I can’t imagine a structure in that zone being uninsured. 

No doubt - but OTOH, you just don't get a homeowner's replacement cost type policy on a structure like that. There are probably reams of details on who shares what costs.

Just for kicks, I wanted to determine the most common last name in the United States that has never had a player with that name in major league baseball.

As you might suspect, the top ones are names that have become popular through immigration in the past half century. The top four names on the list are Nguyen, Patel, Tran, and Singh. Names a few spots down the list also include Li, Chan, Liu, Le, Wu, and Khan. I'm sure we'll get ballplayers with those names in the majors in the next half century, but probably not quite yet.

So, at the risk of being politically incorrect, I am going to limit this to names that are not indicative of recent immigration trends—that is, names that are European.

Can you guess what's the most common European-based name that has never appeared on the rolls of major league baseball? I am not counting negro leagues, because the top name on this list does have two negro leaguers with the name.

While you're noodling this, here's a fun fact: the seventh-most common European last name not represented in big league baseball had been, before this season, Keith.

7 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

On Facebook, a thing called “Detroit Tigers Legends“ informed me that the former “head coach“ of the Tigers Ron Gardenhire was retiring. They also misspelled the city’s name as DETRIOT. 

Better than misspelling it as “DETOILET”.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Just for kicks, I wanted to determine the most common last name in the United States that has never had a player with that name in major league baseball.

As you might suspect, the top ones are names that have become popular through immigration in the past half century. The top four names on the list are Nguyen, Patel, Tran, and Singh. Names a few spots down the list also include Li, Chan, Liu, Le, Wu, and Khan. I'm sure we'll get ballplayers with those names in the majors in the next half century, but probably not quite yet.

So, at the risk of being politically incorrect, I am going to limit this to names that are not indicative of recent immigration trends—that is, names that are European.

Can you guess what's the most common European-based name that has never appeared on the rolls of major league baseball? I am not counting negro leagues, because the top name on this list does have two negro leaguers with the name.

While you're noodling this, here's a fun fact: the seventh-most common European last name not represented in big league baseball had been, before this season, Keith.

Great question. I like the way you think. 

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

IMG_7427.gif.8df98953b3668c64d90bc40da93a7f49.gif