8/4/24 1:40PM Royals @ Tigers

3 hours ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Why’d we not go with Foley to start the 9th?  Was he supposed to be unavailable?

2 innings last night is my guess.

I thought the exact same and why even put in Miller at 2-0 when it shoulda been Foley...

Until I looked at last night's box score (only 23 pitches though) so that's my guess.

Still shoulda gone to Foley in the 9th with a 2-0 lead... IMO.

3 hours ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Why’d we not go with Foley to start the 9th?  Was he supposed to be unavailable?

Probably due to pitching two innings the game before.

Let’s also give the (lack of) offense it’s due criticism.

Miller stunk today.  Having said that, he allows fewer runners per inning than everyone else in the bullpen not named Holton.  The gopher ball has been his undoing.  That plate appearance before Melendez was certainly a warning, but it’d have been too late to get someone up and ready.  I suppose Hinch deserves some second guessing about not getting someone up once the second base runner got on.  And I guess given the two run lead, maybe that should have happened after the first runner got on.

But, yeah, reliever roulette and a poor offense.  Take away the extra innings and the Tigers scored 7 runs in a 4 game set vs Kansas City.  Add in the Cleveland and Minnesota home games, and it’s 21 runs in 9 games excluding the extra inning points.

On Friday, Miller gave up 4 runs in 0.0 IP.  

You would think a manager would maybe think someone who went through that might not be playing with a lot of confidence...maybe putting that pitcher in a high leverage situation might be a super, duper bad decision.

But we have the smartest guy in the league as a skipper though.  Also, Meadows is a possible building block, but take a seat kid after a multi hit game, gotta get his boy Zachy his at bats.

Edited by tiger2022

48 minutes ago, casimir said:

Miller stunk today.  Having said that, he allows fewer runners per inning than everyone else in the bullpen not named Holton.  The gopher ball has been his undoing.  That plate appearance before Melendez was certainly a warning, but it’d have been too late to get someone up and ready.  I suppose Hinch deserves some second guessing about not getting someone up once the second base runner got on.  And I guess given the two run lead, maybe that should have happened after the first runner got on.

But, yeah, reliever roulette and a poor offense.  Take away the extra innings and the Tigers scored 7 runs in a 4 game set vs Kansas City.  Add in the Cleveland and Minnesota home games, and it’s 21 runs in 9 games excluding the extra inning points.

Miller is proving that at leverage he is worse than his overall stats

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Miller is proving that at leverage he is worse than his overall stats

Yes, I think he also has some clause about finishing games in his contract - which may not be his forte.

Also, all these BP games take a toll many in ways. The fact that they had no one really available was part of the problem. Chaffin would of looked nice in that situation ; )

I was hoping they would of claimed CIrvin from Baltimore as he was DFA last week and then sent to the AAA team this weekend. A LH SP at Comerica who has had some moderate success. Could of helped with innings and less BP innings/starts.. Perhaps Fetters and co. could of helped him.This is where I question the FO. A small risk - but potential reward. What was their to lose? could of still gotten all their 'evaluating' in.

6 minutes ago, alex said:

Yes, I think he also has some clause about finishing games in his contract - which may not be his forte.

Also, all these BP games take a toll many in ways. The fact that they had no one really available was part of the problem. Chaffin would of looked nice in that situation ; )

I was hoping they would of claimed CIrvin from Baltimore as he was DFA last week and then sent to the AAA team this weekend. A LH SP at Comerica who has had some moderate success. Could of helped with innings and less BP innings/starts.. Perhaps Fetters and co. could of helped him.This is where I question the FO. A small risk - but potential reward. What was their to lose? could of still gotten all their 'evaluating' in.

You're killing me.  Apostrophize that stuff.

Should have pulled Miller with two on base.  But no, Hinch displays in total ignorance, again, when it comes to making wise ptiching changes.

By my count, his stupid decisions  have led to 20 losses,  this  season.  And i am  sure there are more  to come.

24 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Just another example of how Illitch and Harris don't care. 

Or Hinch. Or the coaches. Or the players. Or the minor leaguers. Or the fans. Fire them all and move the team to Nashville!

1 hour ago, Rob Miller said:

Should have pulled Miller with two on base.  But no, Hinch displays in total ignorance, again, when it comes to making wise ptiching changes.

By my count, his stupid decisions  have led to 20 losses,  this  season.  And i am  sure there are more  to come.

Ok.  Specifically which 20?

Just now, chasfh said:

Have you been to Nashville? This is the official vehicle:

image.thumb.jpeg.6cc2623ec4d96f256ad7ed1d3f8ff97f.jpeg

They deserve a team that doesn't care, like the Tigers!

I’m not impressed.  There’s one or two of those in Toledo.  Except they don’t say NASHVILLE on it.