Harris’s VP will be [. ], because ——-

smr-nj

It is fart pretending to be pundestry to suggest even for as second that anti-semitism played any role in this choice when Harris is raising Jewish children.  Perhaps, the concern was because of far-left anti-zionist anti-semitism but Trump has coffee with klansmen and tea with nazis.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

It is fart pretending to be pundestry to suggest even for as second that anti-semitism played any role in this choice when Harris is raising Jewish children.  Perhaps, the concern was because of far-left anti-zionist anti-semitism but Trump has coffee with klansmen and tea with nazis.

Maybe Shapiro thinks being a Governor is a better long-term road to any Presidential ambitions than being a Vice President in these incendiary times.    Maybe he'd rather be an executive than an executive-in-waiting.     VP can sort of be a dead-end.    I think it was John Nance Garner who said the Vice Presidency wasn't worth a warm bucket of p*ss.  

Maybe Walz just lined up better. 

I think Shapiro was more responsible for that decision than Harris, actually.  

12 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think Shapiro was more responsible for that decision than Harris, actually.  

Very possibly. Also, no candidate wants a more dramatic orator as their understudy. :classic_sleep:

But the other side would be that the demographic where the Dems have the biggest hill to climb is white men, and Walz gives the white guy in the F150 permission to like a Dem more so than any other possible choice. My take would be that that was the single over riding consideration. And as I mentioned before, don't underestimate the importance what their internal polling may have been telling them. If they were behind in PA, maybe you need Shapiro. If you think you have PA, you make the broader play.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pfife said:

I think shapiro is the top candidate for AG if she wins.  Unless holder wants it again (he ran her vp selection committee I think I heard) 

Yes, he did.

3 minutes ago, pfife said:

I think shapiro is the top candidate for AG if she wins.  Unless holder wants it again (he ran her vp selection committee I think I heard) 

I think the next AG may want to be someone who has no further political ambitions because between fighting with the SCOTUS and prosecuting Trump, you're going to leave a lot of people mad. 

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think the next AG may want to be someone who has no further political ambitions because between fighting with the SCOTUS and prosecuting Trump, you're going to leave a lot of people mad. 

that sounds very logical too.

honestly if she cared about unifying the country she'd appoint Jim Jordan as the AG.  

(I think that's probably going to happen if Trump wins)

Sort of on topic, but not.  Who is the future of the Republican party?  They seem to only like Trump, none of his loyal bootlickers, not the never Trumpers or anyone who has criticized him.  I'm overwhelmed with the number of good options the Democrats have young and old.  Is there an heir apparent to Trump?  Are the Republicans even thinking about a post Trump world? 

46 minutes ago, pfife said:

Saw some speculation that Holder could become Chief of Staff if she wins. Regarding the VP selection, I think I read that Harris "bonded" better with Walz during their meeting. 
I would think given to what we're reading about Shapiro that he would probably prefer a cabinet position to being Vice President. Or he could spend the next 6 plus years as a Governor. 

6 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Saw some speculation that Holder could become Chief of Staff if she wins. Regarding the VP selection, I think I read that Harris "bonded" better with Walz during their meeting. 
I would think given to what we're reading about Shapiro that he would probably prefer a cabinet position to being Vice President. Or he could spend the next 6 plus years as a Governor. 

Just wanted to add PBS Frontline aired a very good retrospective on Biden's career last night. I'm sure it's available on line, especially if you have the Passport App ( yes, it's a plug). I have a feeling most of what they aired was already produced before the events of previous weeks. It did point out that at least in the beginning Obama and Biden really didn't have the best relationship. Biden resented being the but of some of Obama's jokes in his speeches.

He was also stung by Obama backing Clinton in 2016. Beau's death also affected him both emotionally and physically more than he lead on.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Kacie said:

Sort of on topic, but not.  Who is the future of the Republican party?  They seem to only like Trump, none of his loyal bootlickers, not the never Trumpers or anyone who has criticized him.  I'm overwhelmed with the number of good options the Democrats have young and old.  Is there an heir apparent to Trump?  Are the Republicans even thinking about a post Trump world? 

Democrats (barring any scandals or mistakes)  Shapiro, Whitmer, Beshear, Wes Moore (he'll rise quickly) and Newsom.  

Republicans - Nikki Haley, Ron DeSantis, Ted Cruz.   Problem for them is - how close or far away from Trump do they want to be.   Kansas voters just blew out a very Pro-Trump sheriff in a primary yesterday - one that was considered untouchable 4 years ago.    Gotta be pro-Trump to usually win a primary, but it kills you in a General.   In Kansas, the Republicans probably hold that Sheriff position because the Pro Trump guy is gone for the General.   

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

who called him an angry old man,  the folks that support the 78 year-old tantrum-thrower? 

I happened to see a tweet from Hawley with that phrase. wasn't interested in doing a lot of digging on it, though.

also, yes, projection.

Edited by Crazy Cat Gentleman
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Republicans - Nikki Haley, Ron DeSantis, Ted Cruz.   Problem for them is - how close or far away from Trump do they want to be.   

In my view, all the above are damaged goods. They all caved to Trump in the end. They failed under pressure. 
As a conservative, I am hoping for a restart in the Republican Party after November. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 1776 said:

In my view, all the above are damaged goods. They all caved to Trump in the end. They failed under pressure. 
As a conservative, I am hoping for a restart in the Republican Party after November. 

The Republican Party you seek is gone. It's not coming back. 

14 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I'll be curious to see how it plays out if Trump does indeed lose in November and what the reaction will be?  Are we going to have the stolen election schtick, Trump 2028 or ****, what were we thinking?  

With the attacks, old man, anti semitic, tampons.  They were caught totally off guard with the Biden withdrawal and they're just trying to throw **** at the wall to see if any of them stick.  Doesn't seem like they're having much luck so far.

23 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I believe in theory that this country is better with two strong parties but as a former GOP voter.... they had multiple chances to purge Trump and chose not to.  After Access Hollywood, After the first impeachment, after Jan 6, after the 2nd impeachment.... All they would have had to do was sacrifice one Biden presidency.  If they had gotten together and turned their back on him and his voters I believe right now one of them would be leading in the polls if they played it right.   Things were always cyclical in our politics.  

1 minute ago, Kacie said:

I'll be curious to see how it plays out if Trump does indeed lose in November and what the reaction will be?  Are we going to have the stolen election schtick, Trump 2028 or ****, what were we thinking?  

I believe Trump will lose in November. Would not surprise me if it wasn’t even close.

Whatever his response, this would have to be the end of the road for him. Beyond that, time will tell.