8/6/24 9:40PM Tigers @ Mariners

2 hours ago, papalawrence said:

Meadows isn't going to let that happen again. He's elite in the field. I hope he can hit .240 with 20-25 dingers and a handful of stolen bases, and take care of CF for the next decade. 

He might end up moving to left for Max Clark. 

35 minutes ago, chasfh said:

He might end up moving to left for Max Clark. 

Oddly, if you put the three of them in an OF, the problem is Riley. You'd like Meadows and Clark in CF and LF but Riley can't throw nearly well enough to play RF. I don't know anything about Max's arm other than he was labeled as '5 tool'. Maybe he is your RF if his arm is stronger than Parker's. Or you swap corners home and away.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Oddly, if you put the three of them in an OF, the problem is Riley. You'd like Meadows and Clark in CF and LF but Riley can't throw nearly well enough to play RF. I don't know anything about Max's arm other than he was labeled as '5 tool'. Maybe he is your RF if his arm is stronger than Parker's. Or you swap corners home and away.

If those are the three guys, they’d need to figure out whether Riley could cover the vast expanse as well as Parker, so they move Parker to right. If Parker is way better patrolling left, then they might have to live with Riley in right. If Max is a five-tool player, then by definition he has a strong arm. 

9 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

what if . . . Riley is our 1B of the future?  He should be able to hit enough.  And it might keep him healthy.

It would be nice to have a left handed 1B. 

Personally watching Riley swing frightens me. Everyone says they love the swing because of the bat path, but the contortion of his back to get that swing looks brutal. I will be not be surprised if in 5 yrs he has changed that swing or gotten hurt or both.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

It would be nice to have a left handed 1B. 

Personally watching Riley swing frightens me. Everyone says they love the swing because of the bat path, but the contortion of his back to get that swing looks brutal. I will be not be surprised if in 5 yrs he has changed that swing or gotten hurt or both.

I wonder about the timing of the baseball with that kind of uppercut.  It would seem to me that he will be prone to more swing and miss because of his bat path.  That might not be so much of an issue now that he’s young and locked in at the plate.  But will he be able to adjust as he ages or will he encounter a steep contact decline?