8/6/24 9:40PM Tigers @ Mariners

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

the common denominator in these plays is Perez, even though it's not obvious how he's at fault - though of course we are hearing the call.s

Centerfielder is the leader out there. It's on Parker to catch everything he can get to.

15 hours ago, casimir said:

I'm probably wrong, that's usually the default, but it seems like I have not seen a Tiger series in Seattle since before COVID.  It seems like the Tigers are always in Seattle during the work week, and they are all night games.  This does not jive at all with my schedule.

Same here. 6:40pm starts aren’t great coming down from Vancouver BC because it’s rush hour traffic from Everett on in. I had some free time this week if the Tigers were dojng better, but little motivation for a day trip. I’d attend a game to watch this team if the stadium was within walking distance of my house 

• Like 1

If Perez could occasionally backup shortstop, he could take McKinstry's spot on the roster. When guys are back to full health, he probably heads back to Toledo. Malloy, Ibanez, Vierling and McKinstry are the back ups.

Since I live under the shadow of death that is the monopolized broadcast viewing area of the Seattle Mariners, and even though this was the free game of the day on mlb.tv, I couldn’t watch it and completely forgot about it. It’s a nice place to see a game. Saw one there maybe 10-12 years ago and at least a third of the crowd was rooting for the Tigers. Along the touristy waterfront near the ballpark half of everybody was wearing hats with the D or Tigers jerseys. It was a good feeling, but we lost the game. As I recall it was 3-2

• Like 1

Just now, IdahoBert said:

Since I live under the shadow of death that is the monopolized broadcast viewing area of the Seattle Mariners, and even though this was the free game of the day on mlb.tv, I couldn’t watch it and completely forgot about it. It’s a nice place to see a game. Saw one there maybe 10-12 years ago and at least a third of the crowd was rooting for the Tigers. Along the touristy waterfront near the ballpark half of everybody was wearing hats with the D or Tigers jerseys. It was a good feeling, but we lost the game 3–2. 

You can’t do this with phones—well, at least not iPhones—but if you have a laptop, you can direct your VPN to someplace like Chicago or New York and get the broadcast on MLB.com that way. I do that when the Tigers play the White Sox, directing the VPN to New York or Dallas.

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

the common denominator in these plays is Perez, even though it's not obvious how he's at fault - though of course we aren't hearing the call.s

Well, I remember two plays earlier this season between Perez and an IF.  One of those was definitely Keith and both were calling.  By rule, it should have been Perez' ball as Keith had gone out quite a distance.  I want to say the other occurrance was similar/same, but maybe involved 1B rather than 2B.

This clip it looked like Meadows should have had it.  I don't know why he stopped unless Perez kept calling it.  If both were calling, Perez needs to yield on this one.  My guess is Meadows probably concluded late that Perez was probably closer to the ball than he (Meadows) thought.  I guess at some point Meadows needs to keep calling and/or Perez needs to say "you" and pull off.

6 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

If Perez could occasionally backup shortstop, he could take McKinstry's spot on the roster. When guys are back to full health, he probably heads back to Toledo. Malloy, Ibanez, Vierling and McKinstry are the back ups.

Perez hasn't played SS since 2019.  He had played 2B through last season.  I wouldn't mind the Tigers experimenting with him that way in spring training, but I suspect he's going to be kept in the OF.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

This clip it looked like Meadows should have had it.  I don't know why he stopped unless Perez kept calling it.  If both were calling, Perez needs to yield on this one.  My guess is Meadows probably concluded late that Perez was probably closer to the ball than he (Meadows) thought.  I guess at some point Meadows needs to keep calling and/or Perez needs to say "you" and pull off.

The center fielder must take control if he is certain he has the ball, especially if he is right under it.

The etiquette is, if CF calls the ball first, it’s his. If RF calls it first and CF says nothing, it’s RF. If RF calls it first then CF calls it, RF has a choice of yielding, or reaffirming a second time “I’m on it!”, meaning, he is basically right under the ball right then which, if he is, he should be allowed to catch it. Then, if CF calls it a second time over RF, RF must peel away even if he is under it, moving to his left to avoid the collision. But really, if RF calls it, CF calls it, and RF reaffirms, then CF really should peel off at that point. There should not be a big ****-waving fight over the fly ball.

Am I making sense?

I'm sure each team has protocols in terms of what they say.... "Mine" or "I go I go" are ones I've heard at the games.    But generally the CF takes priority on everything and it's up to the corners to yield.  Everyone knows this.  Even the players know it.  But ff course on some plays it all happens so fast and adrenaline takes over that sometimes they mess it up.  It happens.  But it's not for lack of knowledge on what you are supposed to do. One reason you'd keep going after it after the CF calls it is in case they suddenly lose it.   The issue there isn't Perez knowing or not knowing... just execution.  That's sports.  

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

The center fielder must take control if he is certain he has the ball, especially if he is right under it.

The etiquette is, if CF calls the ball first, it’s his. If RF calls it first and CF says nothing, it’s RF. If RF calls it first then CF calls it, RF has a choice of yielding, or reaffirming a second time “I’m on it!”, meaning, he is basically right under the ball right then which, if he is, he should be allowed to catch it. Then, if CF calls it a second time over RF, RF must peel away even if he is under it, moving to his left to avoid the collision. But really, if RF calls it, CF calls it, and RF reaffirms, then CF really should peel off at that point. There should not be a big ****-waving fight over the fly ball.

Am I making sense?

it makes perfect sense. The problem is always doubt about whether communication was received by the other party. If all communication is one way, doubt can remain about whether hearing footsteps means a guy is backing you up or about to collide with you. 

Parker said he knew he should have caught it. But it was pretty clear he had stopped so in reality in real time he thought Wenceel was taking it while Wenceel was also ducking out. "I got it, you take it!"

Edited by gehringer_2

59 minutes ago, oblong said:

I'm sure each team has protocols in terms of what they say.... "Mine" or "I go I go" are ones I've heard at the games.    But generally the CF takes priority on everything and it's up to the corners to yield.  Everyone knows this.  Even the players know it.  But ff course on some plays it all happens so fast and adrenaline takes over that sometimes they mess it up.  It happens.  But it's not for lack of knowledge on what you are supposed to do. One reason you'd keep going after it after the CF calls it is in case they suddenly lose it.   The issue there isn't Perez knowing or not knowing... just execution.  That's sports.  

It's true that CF has priority, but if the RF is camped under it, CF should not make him move just because he calls it once. That what the reaffirming call is about. I get that it sounds too complicated, but it works.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

...  I don't know why he stopped unless Perez kept calling it.  If both were calling, Perez needs to yield on this one.  My guess is Meadows probably concluded late that Perez was probably closer to the ball than he (Meadows) thought.  I guess at some point Meadows needs to keep calling and/or Perez needs to say "you" and pull off.

Freep article I read this morning said Meadows lost the ball which is why he stopped.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Perez hasn't played SS since 2019.  He had played 2B through last season.  I wouldn't mind the Tigers experimenting with him that way in spring training, but I suspect he's going to be kept in the OF.

I would love if he could pick back up 2B so he could be OF/2B like Vierling is OF/3B.

But I keep reading that he had the throwing YIPS at 2B so he's not going back there. 

Has anyone ever gotten over a case of the "yips" and gone back to their position after the recovery...?

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

Freep article I read this morning said Meadows lost the ball which is why he stopped.

I would love if he could pick back up 2B so he could be OF/2B like Vierling is OF/3B.

But I keep reading that he had the throwing YIPS at 2B so he's not going back there. 

Has anyone ever gotten over a case of the "yips" and gone back to their position after the recovery...?

I don’t think so—I believe both Sax and Knoblauch had them, but I don’t think they changed positions.  Also, didn’t Jon Lester have them, but only on throws to first base when trying to hold runners?  He stopped throwing over, but it didn’t affect his ability to pitch.  

7 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Looking back it appears the IF glove was never much anyway. His fielding %, going all the way to A ball was never better than 950 at 2B or SS.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

You can’t do this with phones—well, at least not iPhones—but if you have a laptop, you can direct your VPN to someplace like Chicago or New York and get the broadcast on MLB.com that way. I do that when the Tigers play the White Sox, directing the VPN to New York or Dallas.

I’m not into watching the game on a laptop. Thanks anyway, though. If I were Jason Bourne, I could figure out how to do this on a pre-paid flip phone and project it onto a wall in my study, but I’m not Jason Bourne. 😉 So I’m into either the radio, or my TV. One year where one of the two IP’s associated with my Internet had become Bartlesville, Oklahoma thru error for some bizarre reason, MLB was kind enough when I called them to remove all blackout restrictions for that season because if I lived in Oklahoma there’d be several overlapping MLB territories I couldn’t see. That one year I was able to watch games where we played the Mariners.   

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

That actually seems to me to be the most logical explanation of what happened on that play.