8/9/24 10:15 Tigers @ Giants

The OF at the end included Mckinstry, Valide and Madrid. I would think several AAA teams have a better OF trio than that. Not going to expect many wins with the current squad. I had that gnawing thought all game that the Giants would pull it out.

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

technically true, though Colt is easily over 100 since May 1.

Not so good the last three weeks though.  .638 OPS in his last 20 games.  He was terrible in April, great in May, bad in June, great in July, bad in August so far.   So, it hasn't been a linear improvement.  And that is fine, but I think it's fair to put him in the under 100 OPS+ group with everyone else.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, papalawrence said:

The OF at the end included Mckinstry, Valide and Madrid. I would think several AAA teams have a better OF trio than that. Not going to expect many wins with the current squad. I had that gnawing thought all game that the Giants would pull it out.

Baseball for most all teams is becoming a game/war of attrition. You need a lot of depth. Anyone 'penciling' in Greene, Carpenter and Meadows next year as your starting OF (or any listed INF, starting staff, etc.) is fooling themselves.

This is just the way it is now for most ALL teams. A few may get a little luckier than others.

Ideas? Rosters need to be built with depth in mind. Each team with maybe 2 scheduled days off a week. Have 27-28 on a roster. Schedule's of 150 games with doubleheaders included at times. Pay SPs accordingly ex inning totals for MLB and AAA (this way more journeyman types can pitch for teams).

The league finally recognized the need for pitch clocks (though I feel after 10 pitches to 1 batter it should be moved to 20-25 seconds between the remaining Ps for the rest of that particular AB). Larger bases and no more blocking them. Less mound visits. No more shifting, etc. - all of this helped. However, there has to be consideration for the athletes themselves and rest & recovery is foremost concern. Right now, there is very little. Most are actually 'over trained/conditioned'. It may take a couple more years of huge IL numbers, but hopefully the sides will better understand this.

Sure, teams can hire more physiology majors, trainers, etc. and do studies. The truth is you have to be able to recover - and rest (not playing and practicing extensively) may be the only way. All IMHO.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alex said:

Most are actually 'over trained/conditioned'.

To me, the rash of hamstring injuries argues does't reflect well on the training staff. It's the number one  baseball injury you have to design training to avoid.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Glad to see Hinch is still smarter than everyone else by continuing to use Miller in high leverage situations.  

Manager of the year stuff there.  Great that he will be here at least another 2 years.

His success is 100% dependent on garbage cans.

Miller is useless but run frequency for bases loaded no out is about 90% and Miller did retire both men he faced.

Last night was Foley's breakdown and Keith's boot. If you are going to blame Hinch, it would be for leaving Kenta in too long making the 2nd run inevitable - but how do you do that when Foley did not perform anyway.

We have 5 guys in the pen now that are pretty much unreliable - Vest, Maeda, Miller, Wentz, and Foley. Unfortunately that's just too many for a manager to be able to work around.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

I went to sleep when they still had a no-hitter going and awoke to this disappointment. I don’t have the energy to feel bad about it. With all the injuries and rookies, phenomenally poor hitting, and only two real starters, it’s amazing this team can win as often as it does.

I blame ownership, but the oligarchy never sends itself to the guillotine. Where is Robespierre when we need him? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

To me, the rash of hamstring injuries argues does't reflect well on the training staff. It's the number one  baseball injury you have to design training to avoid.

I miss Kevin Rand. 😁

5 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Not so good the last three weeks though.  .638 OPS in his last 20 games.  He was terrible in April, great in May, bad in June, great in July, bad in August so far.   So, it hasn't been a linear improvement.  And that is fine, but I think it's fair to put him in the under 100 OPS+ group with everyone else.   

Wenceel Also.

Of course that will happen when  4 of your last 5 series were against 3 of the top 9 ERA teams. 

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I went to sleep when they still had a no-hitter going and awoke to this disappointment. I don’t have the energy to feel bad about it. With all the injuries and rookies, phenomenally poor hitting, and only two real starters, it’s amazing this team can win as often as it does.

I blame ownership, but the oligarchy never sends itself to the guillotine. Where is Robespierre when we need him? 

Ilitch doesn't care about winning.  He makes tons of cash off TV deals.  He even makes his players dress up in stupid little Caesars gear when they hit a home run.  

I had half expected Skubal be dealt with Baez and have the other team pick up his contract for lower prospects just so he could dump payroll.

I wouldn't be surprised if Boras isn't chatting up Harris and Ilitch to trade Skubal in the off season to get him out of this organization. 

4 hours ago, alex said:

Baseball for most all teams is becoming a game/war of attrition. You need a lot of depth. Anyone 'penciling' in Greene, Carpenter and Meadows next year as your starting OF (or any listed INF, starting staff, etc.) is fooling themselves.

This is just the way it is now for most ALL teams. A few may get a little luckier than others.

Ideas? Rosters need to be built with depth in mind. Each team with maybe 2 scheduled days off a week. Have 27-28 on a roster. Schedule's of 150 games with doubleheaders included at times. Pay SPs accordingly ex inning totals for MLB and AAA (this way more journeyman types can pitch for teams).

The league finally recognized the need for pitch clocks (though I feel after 10 pitches to 1 batter it should be moved to 20-25 seconds between the remaining Ps for the rest of that particular AB). Larger bases and no more blocking them. Less mound visits. No more shifting, etc. - all of this helped. However, there has to be consideration for the athletes themselves and rest & recovery is foremost concern. Right now, there is very little. Most are actually 'over trained/conditioned'. It may take a couple more years of huge IL numbers, but hopefully the sides will better understand this.

Sure, teams can hire more physiology majors, trainers, etc. and do studies. The truth is you have to be able to recover - and rest (not playing and practicing extensively) may be the only way. All IMHO.

I like your point about plate appearances when they go into the double digit pitch count.  I think that’s a reasonable suggestion.

I have a hard time understanding the ailments these days considering what should be pretty decent advancements in kinesiology and the like.  The pitching arm issues, I get it.  Too much torque and force and all of that given the emphasis on shorter max effort throwing rather than pitching with stamina in mind.  But some of the position player stuff, I don’t know.  Maybe I’m wrong, I probably am, but I don’t know if I recall injuries to Tiger position players like this, be it trips to inactive lists or just day to day issues.

They are a lot more careful with injuries today than they were in the past.  

Also, players didn't want to come out of the lineup with a small injury because they could be replaced.  

I think players are mentally different today too than in years past.  You would never have seen someone like Austin Meadows back in years gone by.

2 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

think players are mentally different today too than in years past.  You would never have seen someone like Austin Meadows back in years gone by.

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with your statement. Could you expound a bit on your comment regarding Meadows?

15 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with your statement. Could you expound a bit on your comment regarding Meadows?

I have no idea what you want me to say about it.  Isn't it kind of obvious?  Guys wouldn't have quit in the past because they had his issue because...

Players who walked away wouldnt have been paid.  Normal people cant just quit their job because they wouldnt get paid.  People in most countries would starve to death because they would have no way of supporting themselves. People have to work or do something to support themselves and their family and struggle through anxiety.

He got paid and commanded a large enough salary where he could get by in life.