8/11/24 4:05PM Tigers @ Giants

Tigeraholic1

The integrity of the game is undermined when pitches two balls width out of the strike zone are called third strikes. Nobody likes this even if you sometimes benefit from it or are harmed by it. It’s not good. I don’t know what ABS would look like at the MLB level, but I wouldn’t mind a test run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

The integrity of the game is undermined when pitches two balls width out of the strike zone are called third strikes. Nobody likes this even if you sometimes benefit from it or are harmed by it. It’s not good. I don’t know what ABS would look like at the MLB level, but I wouldn’t mind a test run.

They need to expend the strike zone. Little ittby bitty fellas hitting 30 home runs a year is ridiculous. 

46 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

They need to expend the strike zone. Little ittby bitty fellas hitting 30 home runs a year is ridiculous. 

It's going to be a problem with with an automated zone - scoring will absolutely go up and the question is whether it will be unacceptably too much. It's been my observation this season that when you get an umpire calling a tight zone 10-15 total runs is pretty common. You can't do much about the width of the zone the computer would call, but you could program for a little more vertical than the umpires call today to try to compensate for the fact that the computers will undoubtedly take away all the crazy wide off the plate calls that most umps regularly give away.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's going to be a problem with with an automated zone - scoring will absolutely go up and the question is whether it will be unacceptably too much. It's been my observation this season that when you get an umpire calling a tight zone 10-15 total runs is pretty common. You can't do much about the width of the zone the computer would call, but you could program for a little more vertical than the umpires call today to try to compensate for the fact that the computers will undoubtedly take away all the crazy wide off the plate calls that most umps regularly give away.

This is a really troubling aspect of ABS. I don’t want to destroy pitching staffs as they try to make up for this. 

just watched the rest of this one I missed. Malloy still pretty brutal in LF.

Colt hitting the ball hard and playing some good 2B.

Greene, Keith, Vierling, Carpenter are your solid major leaguers. Meadows looks like a pretty sure bet as well. So 5 guys. If Dingler hits that 6, if Tork makes it back 7, or you sign at least one real major league hitter and now you are in range of a lineup that can get you somewhere. That's closer than they have been in a while. So oddly enough for next season it looks like more pitching question marks than on the hitting side. Haven't been in that situation in a while.

I don’t know whether we can or should put up with Tork’s lack of glove for the long term. Doubles and triples down the first base line can turn an 88-win team into an 84-win team over the course of a season. If he can end up raking to the tune of .270/.350/.500+ on the regular, maybe we can long term him at DH as long as we can cover 1B with a good glove and halfway decent bat. Absent that, his career trajectory is second division slugger.  

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t know whether we can or should put up with Tork’s lack of glove for the long term. Doubles and triples down the first base line can turn an 88-win team into an 84-win team over the course of a season. If he can end up raking to the tune of .270/.350/.500+ on the regular, maybe we can long term him at DH as long as we can cover 1B with a good glove and halfway decent bat. Absent that, his career trajectory is second division slugger.  

FWIW, I just saw a story about Tork - I think in the Freep. Coach says he is +2 runs on defense in his time at Toledo so far.

found it...

“He's been really good,” Federowicz said. “He's well over like two outs above average right now, I think, last week when I looked at the numbers. He's been doing really good down here.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/carlos-monarrez/2024/08/09/detroit-tigers-should-call-up-spencer-torkelson-triple-a-toledo/74720785007/

(While I generally don't consider Carlos as knowing anything about Det baseball,  I assume he can get a quote right.)

Edited by gehringer_2

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

FWIW, I just saw a story about Tork - I think in the Freep. Coach says he is +2 runs on defense in his time at Toledo so far.

found it...

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/carlos-monarrez/2024/08/09/detroit-tigers-should-call-up-spencer-torkelson-triple-a-toledo/74720785007/

So is that what it is? He’s always been a great major league hitter and it never was a swing issue? It’s a confidence issue? Yeah?

Oh my.