8/13/24 6:40PM Mariners @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

50 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Skubal first in AL wins, ERA and strikeouts. One less strikeout than the NL leader but first in wins and ERA in MLB.

Well that there is the Triple Crown.  Why not just give him the Cy now, why are they stalling?

Note - I think that when Skenes has enough innings to qualify he is going to have a half decent ERA

• Like 1

I know that Carpenter didn't necessarily get hurt playing in the outfield. But he has to be a dh most of the time going forward. His numbers justify it and you aren't missing much from a defensive perspective.

I don't mind Carpenter in the outfield, he's made some nice throws from right.  If Meadows can hit enough to play center, and Greene is in one of the corners, I'd like to see guys like Carpenter and Malloy put on a glove and get out there and improve, especially Malloy, in a corner.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I don't mind Carpenter in the outfield, he's made some nice throws from right.  If Meadows can hit enough to play center, and Greene is in one of the corners, I'd like to see guys like Carpenter and Malloy put on a glove and get out there and improve, especially Malloy, in a corner.

The main players have to stay healthy. If not, no matter how well they play, it may be time to move on. We can't have guys missing 2 or 3 months every season. 

20 hours ago, oblong said:

This evening I get to view BP from the field. Got to do it last year and got Miggy's autograph.  This year can't top that but it's still fun to be down there listening to them all talk and such.  They show the launch angle and exit velocity and it's easy to figure out what you need to do for a HR.

My goodness, 15 runs, what kind of pointers did you give them?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

An OF/DH combination of Greene, Carpenter, Meadows, Malloy, Vierling (3B as well), Perez (maybe forced down to Toledo) ain’t bad if healthy, is it?  I mean, you consider all are entering into their prime or earlier on that bell curve?  Add in Keith at 2B.  If they can get Torkelson’s game in order or add in a corner IF bat, it lengthens the lineup to where Baez’s isn’t such an impediment.  Plus, maybe they can rest Greene a bit more, maybe that game management can keep him off of the injured list.

11 minutes ago, oblong said:

That's confidential but here is Kerry walking away from me so draw your own conclusions.

KCarp.jpg

“Where have I seen that guy before?  What kind of name is Oblong?  Should I have told him about the spinach stuck in his upper front teeth?”

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I’m definitely not a fan of Gibson with Benetti. Broadcast just has a bad vibe to me. 

The energy level goes way way down with Gibby on. I suspect this will be his last season on the air.

8 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

If things go as planned, we can eventually have Meadows, Max, and Riley across the outfield practically every day. 🤞

35 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Parker Meadows is Brennan Boesch until he can pickup breaking balls.   One hopes he marries one of the FSD Girls like Boesch did. 

Or not marry one, since it didn’t seem to do much for Boesch at the plate.

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

The main players have to stay healthy. If not, no matter how well they play, it may be time to move on. We can't have guys missing 2 or 3 months every season. 

IMHO, that sounds good but is not a reality in today's game. Every team has many injuries. The data/IL stints prove this. Sure there may be an outlier team or two each year - but that is the exception.

The key may be to not just have and be dependent on just 3-4 main 'good' players. To add/develop 3-4 more 'good' players (then 6-8 total) AND add decent depth as well after that - then keep it going (again, development is key with an addition perhaps here and there from outside).

It is like SPs, you have to have a lot of depth - or else.

Edited by alex

34 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Or not marry one, since it didn’t seem to do much for Boesch at the plate.

I like the deterministic nature of this except we don't have enough data.  We all need to test marry one -- Honey don't worry, its for science -- and see if it improves our ability to hit secondary and tertiary pitches at the MLB level.  Casting calls for MTF poster test subject wives will be held next Monday through Thursday.   This experience will convey one credit hour for a community college of your choice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alex said:

IMHO, that sounds good but is not a reality in today's game. Every team has many injuries. The data/IL stints prove this. Sure there may be an outlier team or two each year - but that is the exception.

The key may be to not just have and be dependent on just 3-4 main 'good' players. To add/develop 3-4 more 'good' players (then 6-8 total) AND add decent depth as well after that - then keep it going (again, development is key with an addition perhaps here and there from outside).

It is like SPs, you have to have a lot of depth - or else.

Depth is very hard. No player wants to sit on the bench or be in the minors waiting for an injury. And it's the amount and length of injuries that are concerning. Riley's one goal this season was to stay healthy. He failed.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

The energy level goes way way down with Gibby on. I suspect this will be his last season on the air.

Not only that, but their senses of humor don’t seem to connect. It’s like instead of getting levity they get tension. 

42 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Depth is very hard. No player wants to sit on the bench or be in the minors waiting for an injury. And it's the amount and length of injuries that are concerning. Riley's one goal this season was to stay healthy. He failed.

Agree depth is hard to find. Maybe it has to be developed as well. Many players have failed to reach a goal of staying off the IL (which more than likely is every player's goal - not just Riley). Following is just a current list, not counting those who were and those who will be, on the IL:

https://www.covers.com/sport/baseball/mlb/injuries

Of course 'no player wants to sit on the bench or be in the minors waiting'. With said that 'mind set' is very yesterday's thinking. IMHO, today player's needs to be ready for an opportunity - that may be the more wise way of looking at things. The player and agent will/should be aware of what is going on.

Every team is going through injuries during today's game. Just looking at the Tigers, did we wish to see 1 or 2 of Vilade, McKinstry, Baddoo, Perez, etc. in the OF on a somewhat regular basis before the season began? Of course not. 

Here is where SHarris and co. may be ahead in their thinking. Look at the INF. Keith, Jung, Lee, McGonigle, Rainer, Sweeney, etc. They are building from the ground up and with depth and none of the just aforementioned are going anywhere soon unless dealt away.

I for one have been on SHarris and co. to put more resources into the MLB team. Yet, I do see a plan. I do think they need to sign 1-2 SPs this off season and some BP pieces (all short term deals).

IF the opportunity presents itself to get a position player/bat, then of course - but not at the expense of a long term contract (again, unless a franchise player, that is yesterdays thinking and mistake).

28 minutes ago, alex said:

Agree depth is hard to find. Maybe it has to be developed as well. Many players have failed to reach a goal of staying off the IL (which more than likely is every player's goal - not just Riley). Following is just a current list, not counting those who were and those who will be, on the IL:

https://www.covers.com/sport/baseball/mlb/injuries

Of course 'no player wants to sit on the bench or be in the minors waiting'. With said that 'mind set' is very yesterday's thinking. IMHO, today player's needs to be ready for an opportunity - that may be the more wise way of looking at things. The player and agent will/should be aware of what is going on.

Every team is going through injuries during today's game. Just looking at the Tigers, did we wish to see 1 or 2 of Vilade, McKinstry, Baddoo, Perez, etc. in the OF on a somewhat regular basis before the season began? Of course not. 

Here is where SHarris and co. may be ahead in their thinking. Look at the INF. Keith, Jung, Lee, McGonigle, Rainer, Sweeney, etc. They are building from the ground up and with depth and none of the just aforementioned are going anywhere soon unless dealt away.

I for one have been on SHarris and co. to put more resources into the MLB team. Yet, I do see a plan. I do think they need to sign 1-2 SPs this off season and some BP pieces (all short term deals).

IF the opportunity presents itself to get a position player/bat, then of course - but not at the expense of a long term contract (again, unless a franchise player, that is yesterdays thinking and mistake).

See...I don't agree about players missing months per season because of injury as "normal." Carpenter has been out since May. Riley just made it thru 100 games for the 1st time. We can't have players, who we count on, missing this much time if we hope to compete. Yes, depth would be nice but how many quality players will sign with a team to sit on the bench in case of injury? And how many quality players is it possible to stash in the minors? I said before the season that Riley had to stay healthy for a few years to shake the injury prone label. He made it 100 games...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, romad1 said:

Parker Meadows is Brennan Boesch until he can pickup breaking balls.   One hopes he marries one of the FSD Girls like Boesch did. 

Boesch needed to put up around 125 OPS+ to be valuable. If Meadows hits around league average he will still be an above average player. 

18 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Boesch needed to put up around 125 OPS+ to be valuable. If Meadows hits around league average he will still be an above average player. 

right, forgot all about his sterling defense.  Maybe he only needs to aspire to marrying Shannon Hogan. 

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

See...I don't agree about players missing months per season because of injury as "normal." Carpenter has been out since May. Riley just made it thru 100 games for the 1st time. We can't have players, who we count on, missing this much time if we hope to compete. Yes, depth would be nice but how many quality players will sign with a team to sit on the bench in case of injury? And how many quality players is it possible to stash in the minors? I said before the season that Riley had to stay healthy for a few years to shake the injury prone label. He made it 100 games...

It didn't used to be normal, but the the linked list shows that it is.  Depth has become a more important part of roster building than it ever was.