8/13/24 6:40PM Mariners @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

7 hours ago, 4hzglory said:

No doubt.  But going into the season, they were way down the line of guys most thought we had in depth.  Manning, SGL, and Madden were all ahead of them.  Mize and Olson getting hurt, Maeda struggling, and Flaherty being traded are all obviously going to destroy what depth we though we had.  And IMO it was reasonable to expect we had enough depth.  Mize has shown he could be an average starter.  Manning also showed that in stretches.  Maeda's career also showed that.  Gipson-Long also showed flashes of being able to at least fill in reasonably.  You could see hope in Madden taking an Olson type step.  The fact that all those things went wrong and we still are getting solid pitching from the guys who were 10th-12th on the depth chart at best going into the year is actually impressive.  Our pitching is the primary reason we are only 5 games under .500 (with 7 more games against the White Sox ahead :classic_laugh:)

I also wonder if the ABS challenge system in the minors is currently making pitchers look worse in AAA than they are when they get to the majors? In the same way it is making it easier for hitters.  Obviously there will be a large shift whenever MLB adopts the system.

You can never have enough pitching depth...but I thought they had decent pitching depth going into the season.  In fact, I thought they had playoff quality pitching going in.  If anything, I wish they had done more on the offensive side.  I am not sure what they tried to do or what they could have done.  It just seemed a waste to have such solid pitching and no offensive support.