8/15/24 1:10PM Mariners @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

6 minutes ago, casimir said:

It’s good that he’s figured something out.  I’m sure not many want to see him return next season, but if he can prove that the first half of this season was an anomaly, having his career numbers next season will be one less hole the Tigers have to fill during the off-season.

Plenty of time to evaluate him if he stays healthy.

10 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

ElMago .900 ops with RISP and 5 homers last 14 games. Your 2025 ...

Defensive replacement and lefty-facing SS whilst Sweeney is mostly the starter, facing Righties.

Baez can also play 2B (has started there before...), and I think 3rd too. And some OF.

He'll be the 2025 RH'ed version of McKinstry, with less playing time.

6 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Plenty of time to evaluate him if he stays healthy.

If Skubal, Olson, and Jobe grab the top 3 spots next year (even if they have to manage Jobe's innings...); then the bottom two can be fought out between Maeda, Mize, Montero, Manning... whoever wins.

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

If Skubal, Olson, and Jobe grab the top 3 spots next year (even if they have to manage Jobe's innings...); then the bottom two can be fought out between Maeda, Mize, Montero, Manning... whoever wins.

Don't forget Lorenzen/Flaherty reclaim project who maybe stays in a playoff race instead of getting flipped.

8 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Not enough depth.

22 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Defensive replacement and lefty-facing SS whilst Sweeney is mostly the starter, facing Righties.

Baez can also play 2B (has started there before...), and I think 3rd too. And some OF.

He'll be the 2025 RH'ed version of McKinstry, with less playing time.

Quite possible. 

5 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Quite possible. 

We would have an entire lefty starting infield (as of now: Madris 1B, Keith 2B, Jung 3B, Sweeney (if he can start) SS).

That would make Ibanez and Baez very useful as RH'ed options, defensive replacements, and they can cover (back up) all the IF positions between them.

19 minutes ago, casimir said:

Not enough depth.

Plus another reclamation project as Tigermojo pointed out, plus a AAA reclamation project, plus other wannabe's/ hopefuls in Madden, Hurter, Melton, Flores...

They should be able to squeeze by with the depth...

Hopefully not running into the same health/ injury issues we've had this year...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casimir said:

It’s good that he’s figured something out.  I’m sure not many want to see him return next season, but if he can prove that the first half of this season was an anomaly, having his career numbers next season will be one less hole the Tigers have to fill during the off-season.

If he bounces back next season and is effective, he'll be traded.

6 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

First run off of him since July 4th, according to Jason. A 2 out, 2 run homer to Javy....very good to see but really kinda unbelievable. 

Correction; first hit off of Muńoz since July 4th. First run allowed since June 26th and 1st HR allowed since May 18th. And Javy Bāez got him. That's...baseball...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Plus another reclamation project as Tigermojo pointed out, plus a AAA reclamation project, plus other wannabe's/ hopefuls in Madden, Hurter, Melton, Flores...

Hopefully not running into the same health/ injury issues we've had this year...

Bring Matthew Boyd home.

I'm glad we are going to get to see these guys, but we can't assume we are going to like what we see once we see it. For instance I have a suspicion we may not like Sweeney's or Jung's glove - but that's what the team needs to know and now is when to find out.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Skubal, FA, Olson, FA/Mize/Maeda, FA/Mize/Maeda to start the season.

Jobe limits innings in Toledo in April and is bumped up to be the first injury replacement.

Montero, Gipson-Long, other prospects/projects in Toledo to be called upon as needed.  Montero has shown glimpses, but just not enough to consider for a rotation spot out of camp.  There's still time for that to change.  Gipson-Long  has a handful of MLB starts, coming off significant time lost.  He'll need that time in Toledo.  I would think Manning is out of options, but its tough to think he has much of a future with Detroit at this point anyway.

I get that there were a lot of issues this season.  But there's not enough pitching.  And if they do have too much pitching going into the trade deadline next season, move some to address other weaknesses or get back a prospect or two.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I really don't see Harris going out and signing 3 MLB rotation starters, in addition to what we already have now.

You seriously believe he would do that?

Where was signing 3 MLB rotation starters suggested?

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

Here:

No, let me rephrase it this way.  Skubal and Olson are in the rotation.  Mize/Maeda/FA/FA for the other 3 spots out of camp.  I would think Mize has one of those.  I'm uncertain what becomes of Maeda.  So, that would leave open spots for 1 or 2 FA (or trade) acquisitions.

Gotcha.

Yeah, it looked like a suggestion of 3 FA's.

I would love to get back Flaherty on a 2-year contract but that's probably not feasible.

The 2nd guy I think is a "two-way" player who could either make the Tigers rotation or sit in AAA. I think we're talking about the same guy but using different terminology.

And... despite the reticence to put too much onto Jobe's shoulders, specifically innings... I think he breaks camp in the Tigers rotation. I'd almost put money on it (if I were a bettin' man...).

I'm 99% certain Jobe is on the Opening Day roster.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Skubal, FA, Olson, FA/Mize/Maeda, FA/Mize/Maeda to start the season.

Jobe limits innings in Toledo in April and is bumped up to be the first injury replacement.

Montero, Gipson-Long, other prospects/projects in Toledo to be called upon as needed.  Montero has shown glimpses, but just not enough to consider for a rotation spot out of camp.  There's still time for that to change.  Gipson-Long  has a handful of MLB starts, coming off significant time lost.  He'll need that time in Toledo.  I would think Manning is out of options, but its tough to think he has much of a future with Detroit at this point anyway.

I get that there were a lot of issues this season.  But there's not enough pitching.  And if they do have too much pitching going into the trade deadline next season, move some to address other weaknesses or get back a prospect or two.

I don’t think there’s anyway they don’t start Jobe in Detroit if it is only for limiting innings.  There’s a reason Jung is called up today-it’s the 1st day he could while keeping 2025 rookie status and thus the chance, however slim for the extra draft pick if he’s ROY or top 3 in MVP pre arbitration.  They aren’t going to give up that chance on Jobe just to limit his innings in Toledo instead of Detroit.

1 minute ago, 4hzglory said:

I don’t think there’s anyway they don’t start Jobe in Detroit if it is only for limiting innings.  There’s a reason Jung is called up today-it’s the 1st day he could while keeping 2025 rookie status and thus the chance, however slim for the extra draft pick if he’s ROY or top 3 in MVP pre arbitration.  They aren’t going to give up that chance on Jobe just to limit his innings in Toledo instead of Detroit.

I don't know.  I find it difficult to believe they'll have him in the Detroit rotation right away and hoping for 150 innings given his career workload.  He hasn't eclipsed 100 innings in a season yet, not even close.  And he hasn't pitched in AAA yet (which is probably less of a concern than the stamina/workload of a season).  Maybe he piggybacks with Maeda early in the season?  Maeda's probably 2 trips through the lineup and done.  That way Jobe gets the MLB exposure and they can evaluate his workload much more directly under Fetter & Nieves.

While the ROY status might be a minor consideration for Jung (and Sweeney), I think the promotions are more to get a look for next season.  Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses at the MLB level now and have a game plan for the offseason into spring training.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

I don't know.  I find it difficult to believe they'll have him in the Detroit rotation right away and hoping for 150 innings given his career workload.  He hasn't eclipsed 100 innings in a season yet, not even close.  And he hasn't pitched in AAA yet (which is probably less of a concern than the stamina/workload of a season).  Maybe he piggybacks with Maeda early in the season?  Maeda's probably 2 trips through the lineup and done.  That way Jobe gets the MLB exposure and they can evaluate his workload much more directly under Fetter & Nieves.

While the ROY status might be a minor consideration for Jung (and Sweeney), I think the promotions are more to get a look for next season.  Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses at the MLB level now and have a game plan for the offseason into spring training.

Who says they’d be looking for 150 innings in Detroit?   If it’s only for limiting innings to 130-140 they can definitely do that in a lot of ways in Detroit.  We don’t have many starters now that are getting to 150. 

I definitely agree it’s to evaluate Jung and Sweeney, but there is a reason it’s today and wasn’t August 1, or even yesterday.  I mean making your debut against the Yankees isn’t as easy as it would have been against say the Royals, or even the Mariners.  And most promotions are done on Mondays which are always travel days in the minors and was for Detroit also.  It was clearly timed wisely with the draft pick potential in mind.  

They aren’t going to lose 3 potential opportunities for an extra pick from Jobe to skip starts or short start him in Toledo rather than Detroit if innings are the only concern of his readiness.

20 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

Who says they’d be looking for 150 innings in Detroit?   If it’s only for limiting innings to 130-140 they can definitely do that in a lot of ways in Detroit.  We don’t have many starters now that are getting to 150...

They aren’t going to lose 3 potential opportunities for an extra pick from Jobe to skip starts or short start him in Toledo rather than Detroit if innings are the only concern of his readiness.

I really wasn't thinking along these (bolded) lines... but it's definitely appropriate.

I was mostly thinking along the lines of "if he's ready for MLB then he'll be in MLB, not AAA..."

But it looks like everything you've stated and that I've stated is in alignment. +1.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I really wasn't thinking along these (bolded) lines... but it's definitely appropriate.

I was mostly thinking along the lines of "if he's ready for MLB then he'll be in MLB, not AAA..."

But it looks like everything you've stated and that I've stated is in alignment. +1.

I have to think that the Pirates initially thought best case scenario Skenes would be ready mid/late season and they would bring him up now.  I mean, it’s not like they started him in AAA.  He clearly forced there hand and helped them get into playoff contention.  If they knew he’d be ready by the end of May I imagine they would have started him in Pittsburgh.  If he stays healthy they would have legitimately had a chance for 3-4 extra draft picks (not sure if you get 2 if ROY and top 3 Cy Young in same season).  I don’t think anyone could have predicted he’d dominate so quickly at AA, AAA, and then the majors.