8/15/24 1:10PM Mariners @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

13 hours ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Don’t count out Sawyer Gipson-Long

I've forgotten about SGL as an "out of sight, out of mind"....

But yes, he's definitely in the mix somewhere as well...

All will be determined next year, 2025 spring training...

4 hours ago, casimir said:

No, let me rephrase it this way.  Skubal and Olson are in the rotation.  Mize/Maeda/FA/FA for the other 3 spots out of camp.  I would think Mize has one of those.  I'm uncertain what becomes of Maeda.  So, that would leave open spots for 1 or 2 FA (or trade) acquisitions.

The problem with this is, I don't see Harris offering Mize arbitration. He doesn't keep injured pitchers around.

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

It’s not an arm issue.  He’ll be fine.

How many millions will he demand in arbitration? Remember, he wasn't a Harris pick. Look at Manning and Torkelson, Boyd and Turnbull. And there's probably more. Sure, Manning didn't perform but neither did Maeda. 

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

No chance? IDK...there's a very good chance. Unless Mize gets back here and starts pitching decent. He really hadn't shown much...

They have an option on Mize for 3.1 million.  Even with the injury, I suspect they pick it up

• Like 1

Ohhh...so Mize won't be going to arbitration. Yeah, he should still be here. But the guy has to start pitching much better and start staying healthy. I mean, this latest injury happened when he ran 50 feet or so for a pop foul. Basic stretching exercises prevents those injuries, especially in a young guy. 

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

The problem with this is, I don't see Harris offering Mize arbitration. He doesn't keep injured pitchers around.

Per Cot's:

Casey Mize rhp
1 year/$840,000 (2024), plus 2025 option

1 year/$840,000 (2024), plus 2025 club option
re-signed by Detroit 1/19/24 (avoided arbitration, $840,000-$815,000)
24:$830,000, 25:$3.1M club option ($10,000 buyout)

Doesn't seem like arbitration.  But I didn't realize there was a buyout attached.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Per Cot's:

Doesn't seem like arbitration.  But I didn't realize there was a buyout attached.

Him missing time kinda makes me think Harris may find a better use of his salary. He needs to come back this season and show enough to make it a tough decision. Missing a month for going after a popup isn't promising.